Basman style cruiser with Mac and A123 20ah "FINISHED"

1000w

1 kW
This is my latest build which is still in the parts gathering phase as I haven't built the frame yet.
As the title suggests I will be copying the style of a Basman cruiser for this frame, I was lucky enough to be able to trace a genuine Basman frame a few months back.
This will be another 8T Mac powered bike using a 12 Fet controller and a 16S 20ah A123 pack. The colour scheme is white and blue with the battery mounted in the top part of the frame in some sort of "fuel tank" like cover, probably made from carbon fibre. The wheels are 24' x 80mm with hookworms. The forks are fox 40s.

Here is the frame trace
Basman3.jpg

Basman4.jpg

These forks will have the lower grey part powder coated metalic blue to matched with the frame.
Basman5.jpg
Basman7.jpg

Basman6.jpg
Basman8.jpg

Hi there :)
Now this is something I like :D
We have built an e-basman and the frame geometry is a blast to drive and looks... well IT WORKS :D
A few things on this though:
- The seatpost is very special, don't know if you have take a closer look. Any other type of seatpost won't work and/or look awful.
- The original frame is for nearly all human a bit too long. If you are able to shortened it for 5-6cm you'll be more than happy with it. 346 builded a shorter version for a reason ;) (forget this is you're 2 meters high ^^)
- The baseman is delivered with a BMX crank system. That's... not that cool actually. It's quite a problem to get a front sprocket which will allows you to pedal at more than 35-37Km/h, the crank arm are shorter! otherwise they will get the ground on any turns ^^ (with the standard 14th on the Mac)
- We have mounted a 160mm inverted fork on it and in order to keep a good looking bike we had to drop it from 5-6cm in the front. If you don't, your bike will have this weird looking effect of a too long and too high front fork :) Most of basman users use maximum 110mm in order to keep the look steady :)
That's all I can remember yet ^^ If you need some dimensions or anything concerning the frame.. just ask me :mrgreen:
Here a picture of our build before the "fuel tank covers"
custom-beq.jpg
+Subscribe
Gruß,
H.

boostjuice said:
Arghhhhh :shock: Fox 40's lying on abrasive cement! Show some respect for the paint/anodizing :wink:
Your right it does look rough. I put them down very carefully though. :D I picked them up for $300, bargain!!

Hey BEC, great info. I will contact you if I need any more info, cheers.

Just got the Mac motor body back from the powder coaters.

Basman9.jpg

Basman10.jpg

I always wondered about the limited colour choices with frock motors. Black or grey. Why not electric blue eh?
Looking forward to seeing this one come together, Matt.

Metalic powders:
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/

Nice work Matt, Subscribed.

Looks like another sweet build in the making Matt. I'm looking to start something simlar myself shortly. Still not sure if I'll go hub motor or use my HPM5000 chain drive but it'll be pushing big power either way.

That tracing of the frame is great to have, I'll be sure to use that as a reference! Better still, if you could jot down the lengths of the tubes when you cut them that'd be super awesome. I bought back a tube bender (same as Kims I think) from the US recently so now I just need to find the time.

Have you sat one of the 20ah A123 cells on your tracing ? They'd be too large to fit in the hollow top tank area wouldn't they ?
Any reason you're sticking with those big format pouches ? Given the fairly low current requirements of the mac you could build a sweet 18650 li-ion/nmc pack in a neat, narrow tank that could be made to fit perfectly between the tubes. You could probably even fit the controller in there too, heatsinked to the frame for as totally neat and unclosed tank section.

Hay Jay, I'll let you know all the tube lengths, no probs.
I have sussed out the room required for the pack, and the plan is to have the lower top tube set slightly lower than the tracing.
I'm a big fan of the 20ah cells, they are completely unstressed at 40 to 50amps and I like not having many cells in parallel. When I plug in the cell log I know the true cell voltage.
I recon the 12 fet will fit in the rear section of the tank.
Looking forward to your cruiser build, get to it! :)
Cheers,
Matt.

Looking good there.... obviously paying too much overtime at the moment..... :)

Spicerack said:
No overtime Andy, too busy with children for that. :)
Just slowly gathering parts so my other half doesn't notice too much.
All my ebike builds have been getting a little better each time, and I wanted to do one with no compromises with respect to my desired components and construction methods.

1000w said:
Spicerack said:
No overtime Andy, too busy with children for that. :)
Just slowly gathering parts so my other half doesn't notice too much.
All my ebike builds have been getting a little better each time, and I wanted to do one with no compromises with respect to my desired components and construction methods.

Hard to do overtime when your always on bloody holidays Matt :p

re: "no compromises" tehehe ...your using a MAC frock :-| WTF!! LOL soz mate you knew i was coming :p

The anodising lookz the shizz, if i opt for blue, i think the same colour for my frame would be good :) Matches
the blue anodizing nicely IMO, still swaying towards yellow though :-S

Best of luck Matt SUBSCRIBED!!

KiM

dodjob said:
Any update on this build?
Not much ATM, too many projects and busy life.
I will start bending up the frame soon, the only thing I have done recently is to rebuild the forks, new seals and oil.

basman16.jpg
basman15.jpg

This is shaping up to be the longest build ever! Over a year has passed since my last post, however I am determined to finish it soon.
I have finally started to do some tube bending and welding. This is a mild steel frame with TIG welded joints.
Some progress shots of the last two nights work.

basman18.jpg

basman17.jpg

1000w said:
This is shaping up to be the longest build ever! Over a year has passed since my last post, however I am determined to finish it soon.
I have finally started to do some tube bending and welding. This is a mild steel frame with TIG welded joints.
Some progress shots of the last two nights work.

Don't worry mate, were all still here waiting! :)

Kim's bender is a roller type from Harbour
Freight I believe. It works well.
I think one of the US forum
members purchased it for him.
Mine is a hydraulc jack type with a pneumatic
pump on the hydraulic jack. I believe this
type work better if you fill the tube with
sand and cap the ends. I'm not too keen on
It.

Back