BionX on a fat bike: Surly Pugsley

NYCeWheels

1 µW
Hey everyone, new here but figured we'd start out with a post of our latest electric creating using the excellent BionX motor kit. It's a Surly Pugsley fat bike with a custom black 32 spoke hole motor. Hope you like it:

[youtube]kJD9nw2SuPY[/youtube]

Thanks for watching!
-Peter from NYCeWheels(.com)

Bionx isn't that great honestly. Pedal assist is boring.

There have been Pugsley's on here with e motors for a number of years now. I can't imagine needing one in NYC however but I do understand they are all the rage.

I have always been curious how your store deals with the fact that e bikes are illegal to operate in NY? Seems like you have had a going shop there for awhile. In fact the Ohm 450 I bought a few years ago off the PDX CL has one of your stickers on it.

I think that you will find in general here that the BionX system is considered to be pretty far down the list of must haves. The only reason I bought the Ohm was because it was so cheap and I figured my neighbor would be able to use it, which he did until the console went down last year, there went $150 and then this spring after being stored properly it wouldn't work properly and ended up getting a whole new 350 kit for it and it should run for awhile, hopefully. He likes it but is doesn't do much for me performance wise compared to my OR legally compliant 1000w system.

nyce video :p

is that the tube poking out the rims ?.. i've seen those rims on uni's and wondered how that works out.. no flats ?

the Bionx at 48v is probably " ok " compared to the 36v, is the controller still internal to the hub ? ..

and lastly, the battery, at 48v it must be relatively low ah, how long has bionx been doing 48v ?

If i am not mistaken the 48volt bionx system has been out for at least a year.

Should produce enough power to defeat the tire resistance, but for a bike like that, how about a real motor... :mrgreen:

This bike is screaming for front & rear motor setup. They don't even have to be monster motors either 8) . Just enough so you can rock crawl where you felt like going.

Or just a cromotor or other 40mm crystalyte hub out back... :)

Might actually cost you less to do that. I know that a replacement bionx motor is something to the tune of $700-$900.

How does a fat tire no suspension bike do at 40mph or so?

Why make it look so nice and not make the battery pack match the bike?

Motor not big enough. You can build it from scratch cheaper. Battery pack color doesn't match? (Really John? No love for the custom hub?) Bionix?!?! Pedal assist?!?! YECH!!

Not every bike or every rider wants or needs to go 50 MPH and pop wheelies. Not everyone is a garage mechanic/electrical engineer that can cobble together a system from 20 suppliers. Some folks don't mind paying extra for a fully assembled complete electric bike platform. Some folks just want to get on a bike and go for a ride.

The bike is cool. The video is informative. NYCEwheels is an American business that sells e-bikes. Can't we get some love here?

Staying in the Legal range of being a business......NYCE work! pun intended! lol

I've built 6 electric projects so far. I'm addicted to electric propulsion. I can't wait to do a car. Being in Canada, it makes sense
to be enclosed.

I have two Bionx systems. One each on mine and wife's Catrikes. When I go for a workout ride, I enjoy the Bionx. Set the level
and it's all pedal assist.

If you want assist for your bicycle, I like the Bionx. If you want light weight Moto, then build yourself a light weight Moto.

One thing to learn about Electric Propulsion is that you may need to build many projects:

One for commuting
One for Off Road
One for Race Track
One for even cutting the grass ;)

Tommy L sends.....
mosh.gif

[youtube]ygu8bV423wU[/youtube]

Back