Ripperton down..we have a Ripperton down

RIPPERTON

100 W
First crash in 3 years of racing...on a kart track.
Catavolt out of action and Varley didnt show so I was out on the Kart track with a Stealth and a Uni project bike. Hunter Valley EV Festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5FoWsEBca8&list=UUoOd7A2JVRmeuaEfGbO7f_g

ECMAY2013Large_zps4aabbda3.jpg

Love those lean angles in the video! Hope you didn't get hurt.

ambroseliao said:
Love those lean angles in the video! Hope you didn't get hurt.

Thanks , not a scratch
I was sliding down the grass feet first on my guts thinking crap Im doin 80kmh, took for ever to stop slidin.
I did a quarter of the length of the main straight on my guts and the bike ended up half way down.
I had stopped and got up and it was still goin.
Leans angles arnt quite Marc Marquez yet but slowly getting there

images

Heh. As the rider of the Stealth I only had very brief glimpses of Danny as he bolted past me on my Stealth. Video response below will show you how much he left me lingering in his dust at the 1m40s mark.
[youtube]Nt9F03QmOXg[/youtube]

But at least I didn't stack it ;)

I was hoping Danny might pass a little closer so I could get sucked into the negative pressure void he kept blasting through the air with, squeeze every ounce of aerodynamic advantage out of his passing that I could..but a safe offset distance was probably wise in hindsight. Enjoyed being out on the track with you Danny..

Hey, nice vids! Looks like we might have to have a Lasertek entry in the 1500 class for next year. We probably need to build something a bit bigger though....I'm still sore after that endurance race :cry:

Would be nice if we could get an EV race club having regular meets at the kart track, I'm thinking something like an electric version of bucket racing. How was the track for the "1500" power levels?

The 1500 class racing was a lot of fun - I could happily have gone on to do another 5-10laps. Which might have made me a bit more competitive against UoN's ApriliaRS125, which had a farily tightly specced battery capacity to match the require range needed for 10 laps. A longer race would have worked in my favour as I'd have had the chance to pass them doing flintstones drivetrain when they ran flat..

I found that the speeds I was doing were fine for fun factor, without feeling slow, or having the risk of extra speed. I've been musing on exactly the same thing - we'd just need to negotiate some track access and do some work on race format, but it could be a viable idea. Certainly makes for some more regular testing session opportunities..I know a number of Stealth owners that are Sydney based who might be interested in the idea as well..

Are we having fun yet? by Bill Collison, on Flickr

Are you going to the ev prize "debrief"? It seems like there is plenty of interest in a racing series but someone just needs to put there hand up to start a club etc. If someone is willing to do that then we are definately in to do some more racing.

That bike looks quick! I freaking love racing electric on kart tracks. :) I would love to race with you on an FX with slicks on that track. :)

Another Ripper photo

Ripperton rippin by Bill Collison, on Flickr

@deanoseadog Yep, I'll be at the debrief, happy to chat some more then or drop me a line over at store.quietrush.com.au I can see the merit and interest in a racing series, but getting performance parity across the wide range of tuning options would be tricky. We've seen it already in the 1500 class..I've not got a lot of time to spare on standing up a race series, but the idea is interesting. From my perspective, I can see potential for setting a class for bikes like our Fighter or Bomber for current customers, if there was demand, but I've got my doubts the demand is there. The bikes are really designed for more off-road settings than tarmac.

@liveforphysics Which bike are you referring to? The Ripperton is hellfire fast, the Aprilia was fast (but short on range) whilst the Stealth was, IMO, nicely fast without being over the top. Think 1960s 50cc GP bikes..with off-road cred..

Nice shot Bill, that section of the track is like a Motocross jump that goes around a corner.
Trickiest and tightest part of the track.
But heres some full sized action at Queensland raceway.
I pull a mad stunt in the last turn for the checkers. It works and no one dies, win/win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRt-XnIlTH4

Heres the whole race on the third screen down at 1hour 11minutes.
On the grid you see me me holding up 4 fingers cause they decided to cut the race down to 3 laps instead of 4 favoring Varley and they also cut out the staggered start at the last second which was good but they could have told us in advance.

http://new.livestream.com/itvl/fxbikes/videos/28207053

Just ran round 3 of the Australian eFXC at Sydney Motorsport Park
Heres Sundays race. click the top screen and go to 13 minutes.
Note: video start time changed to 13min

http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/xtremema.nsf/ae935c889f6af056ca2575b60025ce7e/936d4652859f6356ca257bd0003a68a4?OpenDocument

And turn 1 flybys of Sundays race
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1l_3z2g1g&feature=youtu.be

reclick on the Aus Superbike link and go to the top video and fast forward to 14minutes.
You will see the SuperBike logo, it goes away half way through the first lap.

http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/xtremema.nsf/ae935c889f6af056ca2575b60025ce7e/936d4652859f6356ca257bd0003a68a4?OpenDocument

You know...after waking up in hospital with concussion and short term memory loss I think maybe I pushed the Crazy Bobs a bit too far on the roundabout corner.

I was found wandering on the roundabout unaware of who I was etc...still have no memory of the event but would have done the usual and hit the corner hard. Watching the tyre on your stealth kick out I reckon that is what would have happened to cause my face to embrace the pavement so hard.

And no...this was the one day I did not wear my full face helmet.

Great vids guys, can't wait to race my Raptor.

Back