Dave's stealth Kona Smoke (Heinzmann with Milwaukee)

ort5

1 W
Hi all,

I've been lurking and researching for a few months. I finally put my project together and wanted to share with you all. Thanks to all who's ideas I "borrowed" :)

2006 Kona Smoke commuter bike
36V Heinzmann motor off a craigslist EVG bike with custom 4130 steel torque arm
2s3p Milwaukee V28 batteries in custom pannier mounting
Shenzhen 48V 30A brushed controller

I can do 25mph on level ground and slight uphill. I'm unsure of the range yet, but I've done 13 miles on a charge at the most. The Heinzmann weighs the same as a BMC motor.

I'd love your feedback!
Best,
Dave

Pictures:

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

Looks good. Stealthy.

Are you using 3 battery packs? Not sure if you have 3 on each side (total 6).

Yes, 3 on each side for a total of 6.

The 3 on each side are all wired in parallel, and then the left and right side are in series. I could run 2, 4 or 6 batteries with this setup and just change the capacity of the pack in theory.

ort5 said:
Yes, 3 on each side for a total of 6.

The 3 on each side are all wired in parallel, and then the left and right side are in series. I could run 2, 4 or 6 batteries with this setup and just change the capacity of the pack in theory.

Next on the agenda.. 10 pack??? 12 pack??? Looks like you got the room for it! :twisted:

Thanks for the compliments everybody, I appreciate them!

I may go for another 2 packs in parallel at some point, but I really don't need the range right now. I may actually bring a charger to work and just run 4 packs total. I'll wait to see what my average current draw is when I get my CA installed.

I'm thinking of painting the hub motor and torque arm black too. Just couldn't resist bolting it all on and riding it though :)

Wonder what that Heinzmann would think of 84v in a 3s2p setup. I hear it's got metal gearing internally. :twisted:

Wonder what that Heinzmann would think of 84v in a 3s2p setup. I hear it's got metal gearing internally. :twisted:

Ha! I've thought about it, thanks to your posts :) I also got the idea to screw the battery holders with tiny screws from you. Thanks!

It would mean about 38mph, but I doubt it would survive that long. The gears all all metal and it's very well constructed. I would just be concerned about meltdown of the electrical bits.

I'd love another 5mph, but I'm happy with it for now.

Hi Dave,

Nice job, very clean.

ort5 said:
36V Heinzmann motor off a craigslist EVG bike...

How much did you pay for the Heinzmann?

How did you find it (what did you search for, Heinzmann)?

ort5 said:
I may actually bring a charger to work and just run 4 packs total.

You will probably get longer battery life if you run all six and don't discharge them as deeply even if you only need 4.

Hi Mitch,

The whole EV Global bike was $225 on Craigslist. I could have turned around and sold it for more than that, but I really just wanted the motor. They pop up on eBay sometimes, but they are often quite a bit more expensive.

I agree that the lower depth of discharge is better for the batteries, but these batteries should be good for at least a thousand cycles...and that will take me quite some time! I'll see how the bike feels with 5 pounds less of batteries, but it's probably not very noticeable.

Thanks,
Dave

Hey disadvantage,

I actually use one of these for charging
1753.jpg

I can charge 6 packs in 2 hours with this.

Thanks for the comments!

I find the bag actually quite interesting .... have not seen this design before with only bags on the side.
Is this a bag that one can easily buy? Does it have a brand and model? :shock:

froggie said:
I find the bag actually quite interesting .... have not seen this design before with only bags on the side.
Is this a bag that one can easily buy? Does it have a brand and model? :shock:

I have a couple of these bags on my bikes too. Very nice if not a bit small. I found them on Ebay. They are actually standard panniers. I've seen quite a few with bags only on the sides.

Hey froggie,

I got the panniers from Nashbar, but I don't see them on their site anymore. I found them on Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Nashbar-Daytrekker-Panniers/dp/B000R2N9HC/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1216647157&sr=8-5

I paid around $20 for them though. They're quite small, but fit the 3 V28 batteries perfectly. I bet I could fit 2 more batteries per side if I wanted.

Hi all. I'm a newbie to e-bikes. So far I've picked up a couple of cheap used e-bikes locally. One, a Europa 36v is running pretty well. The second, an EV-Global 24v, still needs batteries and a controller. I'm intrigued by the use of off the shelf power tool batteries like the Milwaukee or Dewalt. But where do you get the battery "receivers" or connectors? Are these commonly available spare parts or home built or something else?

Thanks!

Mark

Wow, prices are really high now.

The v28 batterys are $100 each. So 6 batteries = $600.
The 3 bank charger is now $179.

Total cost of this milwaukee system is $779.00 !!!
Add connector blocks and panniers. Probably another $100.
No thanks.

D-Man said:
The v28 batterys are $100 each. So 6 batteries = $600.
The 3 bank charger is now $179.
Add connector blocks and panniers. Probably another $100.

Last spring it was:

6 batts = $480 shipped... toolup.com
3 single chargers = $60 shipped... amazon.com
6 connector blocks = $60 shipped... Milwaukee direct
Wires/diodes/bits/baubles = $30...

$630 total for 440 useable watt/hr = $1.43 watt/hr. Pricey even then really. Today you can use the live.com/ebay rebate (when/if it's 30%) and get equally powerful, if not more powerful, Bosch konions for <$0.60 watt/hr.

It was a bit expensive, but it was a small price for me to pay for the peace of mind I got. 5 year warranty, safe-durable design, potential resale value and easy replacement. Plus, I never run out of power on my home improvement projects! :)

Back