Bighit- Mountain destroyer

Hey guys, I'm Luke and I live in Brisbane.

I really admire what everyone here is doing. When I first found out about the idea I was instantly inspired to join in on the fun :)

So... 2 weeks in and I have my first item XD I got it pretty cheap? $650

Anyway my plans are plain and simple, HSR3540 72V+ Lipo.

Alan B said:
Welcome to the forum.

Do you have motorcycle riding experience?

Thanks Alan :)

I do actually have alot of experience, I grew up in Mackay (North QLD) and used to ride all the time. 2 strokes mainly, Cr125, Rm250 and a ton of thumpsters :)

deffx said:
Nice bike. Good price. Of course I'm biased as I have one

What's your aim. Commuter, off roader, just a speed machine

Yeah, It's a good bike for sure! I plan on doing all of the above, whatever I can fund/ create. Sky is the limit! Thats what I love about it all.

im just a newb too, iv looked into nanotech ,all looks good on paper but then i see stories of fast capacity loss and poor qc etc.
i almost did it , but im now going with samsung20R cells from supower battery(email Lillian direct. wont ship to aus via ebay site)

by the time you pay 1k+ for nanos,lvc stuff etc. you might as well get something a bit more relyable. pretty much just as compact too...for comparable price in the end.

having said this, iv never actually used lipo, just what iv read about others experiences.

great bike you scored!

Are you paying $6.5 per cell ? thats a bit much no ...
I've seen:
18650 LiNCM 2000mAh 20C $3.5 per cell

ridethelightning said:
im just a newb too, iv looked into nanotech ,all looks good on paper but then i see stories of fast capacity loss and poor qc etc.
i almost did it , but im now going with samsung20R cells from supower battery(email Lillian direct. wont ship to aus via ebay site)

by the time you pay 1k+ for nanos,lvc stuff etc. you might as well get something a bit more relyable. pretty much just as compact too...for comparable price in the end.

having said this, iv never actually used lipo, just what iv read about others experiences.

great bike you scored!

I have alot of experience with lipos (r/c cars and planes) The batteries that I've used in the past have been super reliable and durable!

Thanks for the info though!

supower will do samsung 20r cells for 5.65/cell if you get 200 or so,140shipping to aus. iv had qoutes from other untested sellers for 3.50 for the same cell but i dont trust em.(battery building .com)

if you know any tried and tested suppliers for better price myzter, please let me know!

Migueralliarts thread on samsung20r cells from supower gave me confidence in them.i asked around, others said this was a good price. gotta be careful, too many fakes....

also cellman uses these cells for his high-discharge packs, id say its no coincidence....hes very careful about quality...id get em from him but Hongkong postage is a killer.

high road or low road, this game is ridiculously fun! :D :D :D

Hey! What's up guys n gals?

I got a sweeeet package today. :shock:

Pictures tell a thousand words:

This is the motor I went for, It's a 3540 straight from ebikes.ca as soon as they had more stock, a 40A controller and a Cycle analist V3.
Everything was installed as soon as it came pretty much haha, I was so excited.

The batteries from hobbyking are in the mail, I went with the Turnigy 4s 5ah hardpacks. I only had enough for 5, but I plan to buy more very soon.
These will be carried in my backpack at this stage, if I find a good welder I'll mod the frame down the track.

I had a ride this afternoon it was ok, pedaling with the drag was bearable for sure. The weight sucked but It's a fair trade off in my opinion.
By the way, the rear tyre and possibly the rim is temporary!
I've ordered some crazy bob tyres to suit this beast (26" front, 24" rear) and I'm looking into buying a proper ebike rim from alexrims.

So what do you guys think of this thing so far? does anyone have any tips as to what I need to change?

+1 on the torque arms!

I failed to mention that I have installed 1 torque arm so far, my friend is making up one for the other side right now. :)

looking good. nice an simple.
iv only got 1 on one side but id be scared with anything more powerful than my 48v headways. specially with alu frame.
keep up the good work :D

Sup ES!

I went for my first ride yesterday and I can't wipe this smile off my dial :)

Here's the pack that I ran... 44-50v. I capped the CA at 1500w for now just to get the hang of it, so far so good!.
I don't have a Bms yet so I've been balance charging each pack individually and staying way above 44.4v

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on this forum for the wealth of knowledge and experience working with these bikes, It's been such an inspiration!!!

ridethelightning said:
!

See my thread on Nano's

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37189&hilit=+nanotech+life

9000 miles near enough, over two years...just built a second identical pack.

Guessing you will find it too slow at 44 volt. Get it up to at least 60..if not 72.. You bought 4 packs right? and just using 3? Did you buy the 4th as a spare to cover duds? or is it dud so you can only use 3 packs.
At 12s you could be charging to a shade under 50 volt.
Once you see how the packs are coping/staying in balance, you could start bulk charging. My girlfriends little geared front hub bike runs at 12s2p with those same packs. 2.5k miles now and balanced charged maybe three times in the last two years

Though the nanos are bit pricey..but they are generally better wh/kg but I have not done any calculations to proove that.

Little update: I tested her last night at 84v (2500w 40A limit) and she pulled hard all the way to 76kph. :D

I'm satisfied with this result, so I'll be ordering another 5 packs to run a 20s2p 10ah. I think this will suit me perfectly!

you can use a 20S BMS from Bestechpower. they are pretty cheap. you can get the D166 which is good for 40A continuous or 80A peak for about $60 delivered DHL. jbalat used one on his 20S lipo Specialized just like yours, then you would have short circuit protection to reduce the risk of fire from shorting the pack, and balancing and overcharge/overdischarge protection too. plus with a bulk charger you can haul it with you and charge anywhere.

Like your bike build!

I am using just about the same configuration my self. Exacly same batteries and controller specs. Just went for a different motor and 20 inch bmx rims for more tourqe.

Looking forward to se further progress :)

Back