wallmart fatty

Here's a wallfatty I recently slapped together for a friend.

Attachments

• 20131107_224353.jpg
    20131107_224353.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 4,347
Here's a pic of mine. Gutted a2b motor, lyen controller on 18s, check out the pic. Disc brakes are easy to add to the rear and with four inches of rear tire, it stops fairly well. Its become one of my favorite bikes.

Attachments

• 20131107_232059.jpg
    20131107_232059.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 4,340
duncanjerry said:
Here's a wallfatty I recently slapped together for a friend.
Nice, I think I want to try a super fat ebike build one day. I envy your ability of getting such a fat wheeled bike at a convenient wallmart store for low price, cant do that in AU.

That grey motor looks like a Bafang?

Yes. The grey motor is a bafang.

One of these would be sooo fun with a high power drive and some gears! Could an internal geared hub work with this?

I am wondering about some of details on this bike please.
How much did it cost?
How much does it weigh?
Frame material... Is it steel?
Thanks

The Wal-Mart bike is a Mongoose Beast
http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongoose-Beast-Men-s-Oversized-All-Terrain-Bike/22861845

Lots of great reviews, lots of bad reviews. At $200, a great deal. If anyone wants to drive one up to Montreal for me I'll be very grateful :)

I'm trying to get my hands on one of the new Motobecane fat bikes but it looks like this will be a project for next winter since they're impossible to buy right now:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm

how did you guys add the extra gears so you can peddle it? I have a bmc rear geared hub running on the smallest sprocket on the 7 speed cassette, and its a bear to peddle around. but its a good workout too.
any pic's of the rear sprocket setup?
thanks,
mike

mdan said:
how did you guys add the extra gears so you can peddle it? I have a bmc rear geared hub running on the smallest sprocket on the 7 speed cassette, and its a bear to peddle around. but its a good workout too.
any pic's of the rear sprocket setup?
thanks,
mike

Interested to know this too. DId you just tap a new hole for the derailleur? Or did you get some flavor of Walgoose that came with gears?

Or...a LightningRods BB-drive, with a MAC front hub?

Belted mid-drive for when you need a fairly quiet operation, or steep hills. 2WD for snow/sand.

I also like the DD hub in the rear combined with a MAC/BPM up front. Rear DD has regen-braking, quiet sine-wave controller on the DD, and 2WD available.

Jerry
pic of your sprocket side, how did you get the gears to work with the derailler setup? I want to add the gears but cant figure out the setup, what did you use etc.

thanks,
Mike

what volts are you running? I am running 48 volts with a lyen controller.

someone please get bb size, rear spacing, and what is the life of those tires?

OPIC REVIEW: WALLMART FATTY

Re: wallmart fatty

by 1KW » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:26 pm

someone please get bb size, rear spacing, and what is the life of those tires?

Re: wallmart fatty

by mdan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:03 am

Jerry
pic of your sprocket side, how did you get the gears to work with the derailler setup? I want to add the gears but cant figure out the setup, what did you use etc.
Sorry for the slow reply. A pictures worth a thousand words......and I'm a horribly slow at typing.

Give me a bit for the pics. Just got a new phone and don't know how to resize pics yet.

This is a ultramotor motor. Very powerful on 18s

Attachments

• 13844739948690.jpg
    13844739948690.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3,769
There is enough metal on the dropout to drill and tap for a bolt on derailleur.

This is the bafang. The frame needs to be sqeezed together more with the bafang. I start my spacing freewheel side first to get the sprocket as close to the frame as possible. Then I shim the caliber over to the disc. Make sure the wheel is bolted in it further most forward position before you drill for caliper bracket location.

Attachments

• 13844752786711.jpg
    13844752786711.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,768
Brakes

Attachments

• 13844753120872.jpg
    13844753120872.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3,768
This is the second one I built. It turned out better, no need to cut the frame.

Attachments

• 13844760849863.jpg
    13844760849863.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,768
Back