Crystalite 5404 Dual Suspension bike Build log

jbalat

10 kW
I plan to add some pics here, but I have just finished a short video on the bits and pieces I used for this build.
Let me know what you think. It goes like a rocket and handles well
Here are some close up pics of my battery housing.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12847&start=300#p821890

Build video below.
[youtube]OOfvIZ4ptEQ[/youtube]

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a102198/pressure-switch-contact-for-e-bike.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb&gclid=COqBwvL09boCFbLHtAod9XEAzg

subscribed

Nice and clean build, good choice of components, good that you added a BMS to the lipos, and it looks like a winner.

I do have several comments:
  • I would be keeping the lipos on the safe side. Put the cutoff at 3.5 V cell level, so you don't run into trouble with cells lower than that.
  • I would also be very hesitant with bumps, as the BMS may get into contact with the upper tube. I would recommend at least a layer of isolation and something soft that would decrease the effects of any impact.
  • How is the controller programmed? If block time is not set to a low value, you will likely pull 80amps on every acceleration, as the current limiting will only start after a certain predefined time (block time). Are your wires + connectors up to those currents?
  • How are the different connections made between the lipos? Will repeated bumping allow for any of them to disconnect? That would increase the odds of having a lipo fire between your legs....

Just for your consideration...

NeilP said:
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a102198/pressure-switch-contact-for-e-bike.html?lg=en&cr=GBP&cn=gb&gclid=COqBwvL09boCFbLHtAod9XEAzg

subscribed

Hey Neil Thanks ! They look pretty cool

Search for them on here.
They are only compatible with one type of brake fluif

Thanks Henk for your comments about the batteries, I will revisit the connections but wiring is minimum 12awg silicon sleeve so should be up to taking short bursts of 80 amps and I used the standard red battery bullet connectors to join the batteries together. Balance plugs are hard to get apart, I think the ones on the BMS are the weakest link but not sure if they would fall out without being bumped.
Thanks all for your support and suggestions.
just took a few more happy snaps that I thought I would post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 8,166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 8,166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8,166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 8,166
Enjoying riding through mud so I thought I might need a mud guard. Made this one out of the same coreflute material. Hope it keeps the batteries and bms dry

Attachments

• IMAG0771.jpg
    IMAG0771.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 8,024
  • IMAG0772.jpg
    IMAG0772.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 8,024
  • IMAG0774.jpg
    IMAG0774.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 8,024
Finally took it off-road at Lysterfield lake. It was awesome. Being my first off road ride I was little slower than the others! not much the motor can do on those down hill runs! but obviously still a big advantage getting up the hills. All the guys had a turn and they all want one !!

Overall I was happy the chain stayed on and bike didn't come back in 2 pieces but it really can't handle that corrugated stuff. Everything shaking everywhere wondering whether the batteries were going to fall off or the frame was going to snap in half. So some mixed feelings, maybe if I applied so throttle over this bumps it may have been a bit smoother, or let the back tyre down more or had better suspension, don't know..

BTW youtube video coming soon so stay tuned !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 7,878
Ok my first off-road ride video is up.. It shows that the suspension is really not up to the task.

I have made some minor changes I want to try out but I think replacing the rear shock may be on the cards soon

[youtube]Q7f32xrGQfo[/youtube]

Wanted to add this pic from a recent ride along the beach path from Altona HD graham reserve into Williamstown.
Love this bike still going strong. While I still take it off-road I haven't done anything serious again like Lysterfield so I haven't bothered with the rear shock. I have tightened up the spring t the max and let down the tyres to around 22psi which makes it handle much better over bumpy terrain.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7,435
Testing my brushless gimal and rc pitch control mounted on my Tricopter.

Guys forward to 1:17 just a short snippet of my friend riding my ebike and falling off in Altona.
[youtube]cyuGvBETMFY[/youtube]

John Bozi said:
Nice work man,

could you give me a link to those 3 way switches with a regen button?

cheers

Thanks, I love my bike. I just fitted it out with a fox shock and it made a world of difference.

Check out em3ev, you may need to send him an email since I can't find a link to the power on/off switch and regen button which is an option when you buy your controller, however there is a link for the half twist throttle which has the 3 way speed switch and cruise button. All these are plug and play with the Infineon controllers, no wiring required.

Can you give us a link to where you got the corflute and the Fox shock?

Thanks, great build

Sweet another person from Melbourne!!.Looking good I used to have 5404 but didnt really get to test it fully. What are the speed/ range with the packs (if this was covered in the video i didnt have sound)

newman64 said:
Can you give us a link to where you got the corflute and the Fox shock?

Thanks, great build

Thanks, the core flute was from Clark Rubber (which I want to upgrade to 2mm acrylic/perspex sheet) and Shock was from my mate Frankencycle
http://frankencycle.me/

millzy555 said:
Sweet another person from Melbourne!!.Looking good I used to have 5404 but didnt really get to test it fully. What are the speed/ range with the packs (if this was covered in the video i didnt have sound)
Cool, love to see your project when its finished.
I have squeezed about 60km range out of it travelling at roughly 30-35km/hr
(10ah lipo pack at 84v, 12FET controller, 24" rear wheel)
Top speed was up to 75km/hr on a fresh charge with my head down but only done this for a really short burst to satisfy my curiosity.
At that speed I would imagine less than 20km range... but I wouldn't do it again

shorza said:
I just saw you ride across auburn rd, Hawthorn. Good looking bike.

Nice bike too !!

Was that you I was talking to Near the velodrome the other night ?

Hi jbalat

I've been looking at your corflute solution to figure out how you mounted the front and the seatpost section to look so neat. I still cant figure it out. I have an identical bike to yours (fusion sport). in the body of the battery box I used aluminium sheets but I wanted to close the front and back (seat post) area using corflute to cover the whole area.

Can you tell me your secret on how you fabricated the corflute to look so neat? like, how do you attach to the handlebar stem area? did you make a cylinder to go all around or what?

Can you show us more detailed pictures?

you sort of explained it last time but I still didn't get it

thanks, great work :)

Back