Another E-bike Ride Video (yet again) 47.4 MPH Max Speed

knightmb

100 kW
I just can't get enough of these. This time I was able to mount the speed computer where everyone can see it. A little better mounting of the camera and such. Long ride and lots of speed.
Enjoy!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3995379778782687414

Can you list the specs for this ride for people that don't have high speed phone lines and can't view long movies. (voltage, motor, etc.) Thanks.

47mph...wow!

Oh, but how do we know that wasn't because you were pedaling? :lol:

xyster said:
47mph...wow!

Oh, but how do we know that wasn't because you were pedaling? :lol:

I would actually thank the cars ahead of my for providing draft. Otherwise when I'm alone, you'll notice I can barely get up to 35 mph. I can pedal the bike to about 30 mph but then you have to pedal so fast it seems pointless and makes the bike shake from side to side (rapid leg movement, hard to stabilize while doing this) :D

then you have to pedal so fast it seems pointless

I know. The question was just an aside to the posting practices of a local, banana-throwing devolved monkey. :twisted: :D

D-Man said:
Can you list the specs for this ride for people that don't have high speed phone lines and can't view long movies. (voltage, motor, etc.) Thanks.

48 volts - with (2) 12 AH NiMH Battery Packs
Crystalyte 406 Front Hub Motor
Crystalye 36-72 volt controller, 20 amps max
700C X 35 tires
Rider Weight: 172 lbs
Tire Pressure: 65 PSI
Temperature: 80 F
Wind: NW 15 MPH

Attachments

• Dual Speed Computers.jpg
    Dual Speed Computers.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 4,668
  • NiMH Pack.jpg
    NiMH Pack.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 4,672
  • 406 Front Hub Motor.jpg
    406 Front Hub Motor.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4,671
  • Crazy Rider.jpg
    Crazy Rider.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 4,668
  • Pilot View.jpg
    Pilot View.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 4,662
Cheers

Will watch it as soon as I get in from work, its Friday so a few pints of guiness and a bottle of wine and you are going to seem really fast!!

Cheers

P

xyster said:
then you have to pedal so fast it seems pointless

I know. The question was just an aside to the posting practices of a local, banana-throwing devolved monkey. :twisted: :D
Wait until I get this up to 72 volts. If the front wheel doesn't rip out the fork, that should provide for some scary/fun speeds :D

Attachments

• clipboard.gif
    clipboard.gif
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,028
knightmb said:
People from the front must think I'm insane!

Almost 50mph...

might be a few folks reading, thinking that too.

:lol:

Wait until I get this up to 72 volts. If the front wheel doesn't rip out the fork, that should provide for some scary/fun speeds

And a big 'if' that is! Your bike's performance at less than 1000 watts is really impressive. I personally wouldn't try it. There's lots of reports as you know of forks being torn apart at over 1000 watts, even with smaller motors. What about moving that 406 to the rear?
Of course, we do now have Fechmaster to run the site in case you die....

Love that shelf brace on the handlebars :lol:

xyster said:
Wait until I get this up to 72 volts. If the front wheel doesn't rip out the fork, that should provide for some scary/fun speeds

And a big 'if' that is! Your bike's performance at less than 1000 watts is really impressive. I personally wouldn't try it. There's lots of reports as you know of forks being torn apart at over 1000 watts, even with smaller motors. What about moving that 406 to the rear?
Of course, we do now have Fechmaster to run the site in case you die....

Love that shelf brace on the handlebars :lol:
That's why I'm hoping (key word being hope) that the 20 amp controller won't have enough low end torque to rip it out. Once I get going, it seems to hold solid. The front fork is old school steel and the bolts are "marked" so I can easily glance down to spot rotation within the fork. So far, they haven't moved at all, so the front wheel appears to be torqued down pretty tight. When I make the leap to 72 volts, I'll probably do it without all the gear just to test and make sure I'll make it home in one piece. If it appears solid in testing, I'll make another video. This time, I might actually start passing the cars instead of riding behind them :D

Yeah, I was looking for a cheap "arm" for the speed-o-meter arm. While walking around at the home depot, I spotted the shelf brace which was perfect for this with some simple zip ties, LOL. Only cost $0.86, not too bad :twisted:

Ypedal said:
Close call with that black pickup ! lol....

Nice video.. those 700 C wheels are freaking HUGE.. wow.. ( remember. i'm used to my 20's lol .. )

Do you have any data on power consuption by any chance ? voltage sag under load and AH used etc ?
Yeah, he could have waited, heck I was doing 30 mph, but decided to dart out in front of me. Good thing that bikes can stop on a dime better than cars can. Wish I had a horn, but my brakes are loud enough, LOL.

That's where I really wish I had a brain drain. So no idea how much power I was burning doing this. After the ride, the motor was warm, controller was warm, batteries were more than warm. That's about all I have. I do know that at full speed everywhere, the batteries only last about 20 miles. If I keep it more to bike speeds (15 to 20 mph) then the range nearly doubles.

Hi

Awesome video just watched the whole thing, crikey that's amazing performance from 2 x24V nimh packs and 20A? are you sure, I am not sure how much you were contributing but to average 27mph over 15 miles is stunning performance in my book? are you sure you didn't have another pack stashed in your pack? :lol:

I can do similar with 60V but my packs are 8 months old and have been abused and sag terrible, the Lipo is much better and I hope as soon as the weather improves to bolt a big crank on the KMX and run Team Hybrids super fancy 48V Lipo, its rated at 20AH usable, on the KMX I reckon with a nice workout I will be able to hold 40mph for a long time.

Thanks so much for posting this, its an amazing video and really shows what you can do with a small little motor, at those speeds that's an X5 beater? the performance certainly looks like it? I am confused? :? very impressive to say the least.

I love the addition of the speedo, its a great idea to do that in the way you have and using a good quality camera makes for some great quality footage, I downloaded it as its much better.

Well you have really given me something to think about, with that kind of performance you would eat all my rides for dust at the moment, let me know if you visit England give me time to run and hide :lol:

Thanks again buddy, please make more films like that and please stay safe at those speeds you need to make sure those squeaky brakes of yours always have good pads, also get a good horn, I use an airzound they are deadly loud and people really notice you, there is a new Drain Brain coming out soon so hold back until Justin ships it.

Great show for the BS packs this video as well, both you and Devin in SF show that these packs really do the business, a lot of people rubbish the batteryspace packs, but they now star in 2 of the most impressive e-bike movies I have ever seen, they way you stayed with that red truck and you almost accelerated as fast is great testament to how good ebikes are now and just how they could easily replace the car for most if not nearly all the people in urban environments. (most daily trips are less than 15 miles)

Thanks so very much that really has made my day!

Knoxie

Nice man,

I woulda kicked the black pickup from 7:24 though...

Thanks, it was fun and a blast to film it. The acceleration is not really that great until you get over 15 MPH then I can really start to feel the motor pull me. The next video I hope will be at 72 volts. If everything goes ok in testing, it will be a fun "blow past a few vehicles" video :D

At least I figure I should be able to hit 50 mph going down some hills and maybe maintain 40+ MPH everywhere else.

knoxie said:
I love the addition of the speedo, its a great idea to do that in the way you have and using a good quality camera makes for some great quality footage, I downloaded it as its much better.

I just noticed that feature at google video, don't know how I missed it all this time. Yeah, much better quality. The original movie was 2GB in size, had to downcode it to MPEG2 to get the size under 500 MB. Glad there is a way to see a higher quality version of the movie, thanks for pointing that out.

Hi

Yes downloading it its significantly better quality, also I like to download and keep the quality e-bike movies like this one, I am amazed at the performance you are getting from that motor, at 72V it will be mental, you may need more amps though to hold the speed as your wind resistance will be significant, however you seem to cope very well at 35mph as you are.

I am going to call Mulder and Scully or Sam and Dean! something fishy is going on! ha ha how far are you from area 51? he he, brilliant stuff supernatural indeed!! ha ha

More please and safety at 72V watch those forks, really do! the Puma rips steel at 72V

Cheers

Knoxie

+1 on downloading,

I so regret not having kept a dl'ed copy of Devin's bike race vids. Man they were awsome, woulda liked to see that on DVD or something...

Going 72v on a 406 in a 700C....

Will be fast.. the amp draw won't go below MAX of the controller until you hit 50+ MPH.. And at this point you would need more than 20 amps to go faster because of the wind..

I find 406 on my dual speed too fast at 72v, to the point i barely use it.. .and i run a 20 " wheel!!!!!

In 409 however.. top speed at 72v is aprox 40 km/h ( 25 mph ) at a nice 7-9 amps.. goes up to 12-14 amps on big hills.. and i only tap 20 amps during hard acceleration for maybe 2 or 3 seconds then i'm up to speed and the amps drop.

Your 12 ah packs will get HOT at 72v as they will need to dish 20 amps constantly.

Mathurin said:
+1 on downloading,

I so regret not having kept a dl'ed copy of Devin's bike race vids. Man they were awsome, woulda liked to see that on DVD or something...

Hi

Yes Devins videos were amazing, he got nervy so I heard as the usual naysaying do gooders on PA threatened to call the local SF police or city hall to complain about how he was riding, it was a shame as those videos like this one were really amazing, I think he has pulled all of them from google now.

I do have some of them tucked away! and I am sure Devin would send anyone a copy but he has gone to ground, however I don't post over on TF any more I don't have the time to post on multiple forums so have stuck here.

The most memorable one was the one where he went across the golden gate and got in to a race with that roadie, it was amazing and then he bombed through the tunnel on the other side of the bridge, it was brilliant I watched that movie 3 or 4 times in awe!

There were so many cool videos, he dropped his e-bike after a while and got in to fixed geared bikes, not sure if he sold the bike or carried on, those fixed geared cyclists are fearless and to think people think we are, he did a video of a fixed geared ride of his buddies through SF it was incredible.

Ah well, be nice if someone could get hold of Devin and coax him over here.

I have the video "A trip across San Francisco in 21 mins, on my notebook" I am sure I have the Golden Gate race on my computer upstairs, I am sure people that have not seen these movies on here would love to see them. He was running a front wheel mounted X5 with 4 x blue and white BS packs.

I can post them to a private area, better still if we can get Devin on board over here he can help us out, I also think he had enough films to make a great DVD as well, I wouldl certainly buy a copy from him as the shots across the golden gate bridge were amazing (he used a good quality camera and lens, I think he is a pro photographer?)

Cheers

Knoxie

I've seen most of devins vids and the one of the sf bridge you say knoxie where the lycra guy kept trying his arse off to catch him and devin just winding the throttle to leave him trailing way behind is the funiest thing i have seen on all ebike vids,lol - if you have that one knoxie (i think it was reverse helmet cam) send it over mate - like you i watched it over a few times - blistering speed :), i would say that video was one of the key things that made me certain on getting into ebikes.

D

Oh dang, I've missed threads again. First reading.
Good on you, Michael. I so much want see this video.
Will try to download it now on dialup

Very happy to have this exciting report.
Power and efficiency rule you know.

seriously: kudos!

Back