So the bikes been going well. The 20x2.3" rear tire posted above has turned out to need about 10PSI more air pressure to not fold under the wheel under heavy cornering. As a result, it doesn't really give any more cushion than the 20x2.1" tire it replaced. I think once it wears out I might switch back to the 20X2.1 which has far stiffer side walls.
Just the other week I finally tracked down an intermittent hall sensor issue to the wiring near the connectors. It's so nice to finally have it fixed since it's been and issue for months and it would momentarily trigger a hall sensor failure when ever I hit a large bump causing the wheel to jolt for a split second.
Yesterday morning however, I had a bit of a nasty crash on the way to work.
I was cruising through a complex section of my journey where I zig zag past a sports field through a car park and several interconnected foot paths. There is a gravel road for service vehicles which I sometimes take as the foot path in that section is often clogged with mud from runoff, here: https://goo.gl/maps/U6n4G
As I approached the end of the car park some guy's dog's decided to take interest in me, started chasing me and ignored his yelling at them to stop. One of them looked like a Pit Bull, so I thought I better get past them fast and headed for the fastest route being the gravel road. The Pitt Bull was quick and was within a few meters of me chasing me with a vicious bark, so I flicked the bike into overdrive (120%) and went WOT, but it was too much power for the gravel and I spun out and fell onto the right side landing on my arse hard.
The dog just barked a bit more then lost interest at which point the owner yelled out "She wouldn't have bit ya mate
" and started walking off with the dogs. I was still lying on the ground semi pinned under the bike in shock and pain contemplating if I should yell out after the guy to get details or not. I didn't bother and eventually managed to get up and ride home (unaided) which thankfully wasn't far. I then grabbed my Stealth Fighter and rode to work ok.
Damage to me is a badly bruised tail bone, so not too bad, although sitting down/ getting up is a real pain in the arse.
Damage to the bike was severed hall sensor and phase wires. The fall pushed my stand up and into the end of the axle cutting the wires in the process, hence the need to ride home unaided afterwards.
Anyway, I've been planning on upgrading the phase wires and water (rust) proofing the motor for some time now, so this damage has just brought my plans forward somewhat.
Today I managed to paint the inside of the side covers black (for a slightly improved thermal path) and the stator and magnets with red electrical insulating varnish.
The bearing on the freewheel side (like the other side) got stuck before the end of the axle due to a slight bulge in the axle shoulder caused by the dropout's compressing the washer into the shoulder. This side plate was also well and truly stuck to the bearing, and I could not get it off no matter how hard I tried. This wasn't a big issue though, and I was able to paint everything still without too much hassle. Thankfully the wire side, side plate did come off ok.
Surprisingly when I opened the motor there was no rust or dulled widings at all. Considering the near daily use in all manner of weather at regular peaks of 1.5KW I'm quite pleased at this. I think the 20" wheel, low bike weight (30Kg) and low drag coefficient certainly helps.
I also drilled a small amount of extra material out from the axle wire hole and started filing back sharp edges.
Maybe tomorrow, or in the coming week, I will put in some 14AWG silicone wires (replacing the silicone with heat shrink through the axle) for the phases, and 36AWG teflon wires for my halls (just through the axle) to make extra space.
Although these Golden Motors are not the best out there, given the extremely low cost (<$100) I don't mind putting a bit of work into making it better.
I'm not sure yet, but I think I might also drill some smallish (6mm) holes in the side cover I managed to get off for heat dissipation. Last summer, the good old hand thermometer on the side covers registered some burning hot temps after some rides home on very hot days. Given I put gaping bike holes in the side covers on the motors I use on my off-road Stealth Fighter without any issues, I don't foresee any problems doing the same to this commuter, road/ bike path only bike.