Motobecane 700ds build

Hey what's up. It's been a while since I've been on the forum/built anything, so I decided to start a project. I've always wanted a badass mountain bike to thrash on the street and light trails around my house. I've has this motobecane for a few years and really never rode it. The frame is a bit small for me so I figured it would make a better ebike than regular bike. Parts are slowly starting to come in so I hope to have this bike completely done (or atleat rideable) by mid May. I saw a few threads by GCinDC and got really inspired. I like how he set up his battery charging system, so I think I will make one similar to his. My goal is to get into the 40's if possible. I guess I can't expect too much from a 9C, but I guess we'll see what happens I have already started on the battery box and should be able to finish the welding by next weekend or so. I went to lowes and bought some 1" angled aluminum for the skeleton on the battery box and will buy sheet aluminum to use as a skin. I will have the hub motor this weekend and will get that mounted soon. Pics are below, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Specs:
Controller: 12 Fet Lyen
Motor: Amped 9C
Batteries: 6s turnigy lipos (18s 2p)
Battery management: Lipo buzzer/voltage display and cycle analyst
Charger: Thunder 1220 12s lipo balancer
Connectors: Anderson 45A
Wire: 10ga

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 748
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 748
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 748
So I made a little progress this week. Parts are slowly coming in allowing me to get more tasks accomplished. I just received 50 ft of 10ga wire so now I can make my charge and discharge cables. I also received my anderson crimper so that should make life easier. I stole my magura off of my electric cafe racer project and will use that for this one. I will also steal the cycle analyst from my cafe even though it is the high current edition with its own shunt. Later on I'll buy the direct plug in and use it for this project. I noticed that two of my lipos have puffed up a bit so I'll have to replace those when I get some spare cash (I'll just use them to test until I can replace them). Right now I'm down to 2 (good) 6s 5000 mah packs. So my plan is to run 18s 1p :( for now, then get an additional 4 packs to run 18s 2p. So today will mainly be soldering and crimping. I'm waiting on a torque arm and 3 speed switch from Lyen so I won't be able to do any test rides until they come in. I have already mounted the wheel and got the brakes dialed in perfectly. All I need to do is add the torque arm to finish off the back wheel. I also need to weld some tabs on the battery box and make some mounts to secure it to the frame. When that is done I'll make the other battery tray that will sit on top of the frame that will be for the remainder of the batteries and some switches. This frame is really compact and doesn't have a lot of room for batteries so I have to get creative with mounting. Once both trays are complete and mounted to the bike, I will make an aluminum skin that will cover everything and give the bike a boxy look. More pics to come. If anybody has any suggestions/feedback feel free to comment. Thanks

Attachments

• image (8).jpeg
    image (8).jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 667
  • image (11).jpeg
    image (11).jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 667
Yeah you're right about that. At first I was thinking of locking the shocks or just taking it easy on the suspension. Now I'm thinking I should chop the top 8" of the box and only carry 3 batteries down there. The other 3 will have to be up top. Kind of sucks not having a good canvas to start with, just trying to make do with what I have. Thanks for making me think twice on that one.

Back