Lightweight E-bike Gallery <20kg

athletic91

100 W
Post photos (and links to threads if applicable) of your lightweight e-bikes here !

I come from a road bike background where the lighter the bike the better. However when it comes to bikes, i prefer it to be as light as possible as i lived in a apartment and have to carry the bike up a flight of stairs.

Heres my bike for starters, details in my sig.

keplers "Super Commuter" http://www.electricbike.com/kepler-super-commuter/

k1.jpg

Thank you Endless Spheres for making my build possible. This is great community!

Thanks Kepler for the inspirationl. Thanks to Schwibsi for building an awesome battery pack. Running magnets and DV8EH - it's really great to know that you guys are never too far tand willing to help.

Attachments

• IMG_4520_small.jpg
    IMG_4520_small.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 4,576
  • IMG_4638_small.jpg
    IMG_4638_small.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMG_4597_small.jpg
    IMG_4597_small.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 4,576
  • IMG_4592_small.jpg
    IMG_4592_small.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMG_4575_small.jpg
    IMG_4575_small.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMG_4567_small.jpg
    IMG_4567_small.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,908
  • IMG_4546_small.jpg
    IMG_4546_small.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,908
DIY_turbo said:
Thank you Endless Spheres for making my build possible. This is great community!

Thanks Kepler for the inspirationl. Thanks to Schwibsi for building an awesome battery pack. Running magnets and DV8EH - it's really great to know that you guys are never too far tand willing to help.

Beautiful build! Spectacular custom frame!

Would you please post some more details about your build? Specs, performance, etc? Thanks!

Not mine, but here is a baker's dozen of the prettiest Ebikes you will ever see. From Nader;

http://www.electricbike.com/mini-hub-motors/

DIY_turbo said:

Wow please post some details.How many batteries did you integrate in the frame, 30 for small trips ??I guess it comes around 14kg.So nice build!!

14.5kg. The trick is:
Use quality cycle parts, they are usually the light weight ones and the carbon craze means there is plenty of cheap quality used gear around.
If it don't make you go take it off.
Mountain bikes are bad news. A suspension front end can cost you 3kg.
Use Lipos (2 x 5S 8ah Turnigy nanotech used here)
Keep it simple a single gear is plenty and cluster and changer can weigh heaps and you wont use the first nine gears anyway.
Skinny tires(tyres) weigh less and waste less energy.
Titanium bolts are relatively cheap now days and often much better quality than the cheap steel ones and they don,t rust.
There is no carbon on this bike and the frame is an 80s steel racing frame. Every Kilo from here is going to cost you roughly $2k if you start using carbon.
This bike cost me $500 with battery and motor. It does 30kph without pedalling (flat no wind) and I can easily maintain this up hills because it is light.
It is a lot of fun too :D
Light weight is the way to go.

Attachments

• yellow crank.jpg
    yellow crank.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 4,350
  • yellow 7.jpg
    yellow 7.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4,350
  • yellow 2.jpg
    yellow 2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 4,350
  • yellow 5.jpg
    yellow 5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,350
Wow please post some details.How many batteries did you integrate in the frame, 30 for small trips ??I guess it comes around 14kg.So nice build!!

Sorry for being so late, savaoaknyc. Here is more info about my bike.

It`s 11,6 kg. 30 batteries provided by Schwibsi! VTC4s. I`m fortunate to have smart friends and talented collaborators that are willing to believe in my crazy ideas, and a great community that gives the endless inspiration and support, now we`re trying to bring it to the next level. :roll: Hopefully!

Experience it first hand ;)
https://vimeo.com/107295225

I have two lightweight E-bikes to share... one is a 14.5kg mtb, and a 18.1kg beach cruiser. Both bikes running a BBS02 mid drive motor, and 12s lipo for battery.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71695

IMG_20150807_185353_zpsbr68uyar.jpg

IMG_20150807_184726_zpsxv6qn165.jpg

I typically use low pass settings when I ride the mtb because I like to pedal, and I rarely more than 300W of power so a smaller motor would better fit my needs and lower the weight of the bike. Because of that, I'm toying with the idea of buying the Keyde SR300 rear hub motor kit. The motor with integrated controller weighs only 2kg versus the 5kg BBS02 on there now. The Keyde motor + battery on the mtb would weigh a total 12.7kg.

The idea is test the Keyde reliability, and if it performs without issue, then my next build will be a sub 9kg road bike using the same motor kit.

Back