So the bike runs. Unbelievable!!
Parts back from powder coat. Sand Blast was $60 and powder coat was $165. I like it!
I got kiwi adapters from Scott. Sweet parts!! Scott did a lot of work to get me these in time for my trip- thanks Scott!
I threw on the rear wheel and had a little dishing to do. I think I ended up with about 2 1/2 turns on every spoke to dish cleanly. The wheel build isn't what I'd consider quality, however it isn't too bad for my first motor built from scratch.
Bike put together
Got it to spin up!
Autodetect with the Max-E was a fun experience! The first time it jerked slow at the start, then smoothed out for a couple minutes. Then it went into a higher speed and I swore everything on the bike was about to give out! I let up and tried again and it worked better.
Easy process overall!
Another aspect with the controller was charging. I was a little worried about my power supply, connections, software, etc., however it went really well! The first time I wired up my motor I didn't put the second plug on a phase wire, so I did that.
What still confuses me, and is a little concerning, is there is a floating voltage through my frame when I'm charging. It's like a phase wire is shorting to the frame. I still need to investigate.
However, I'm happily charging at 650W with my $22.50 charger!
The BMS was easy to set up! Thought my fourth module wasn't working, but then I figured out I needed to program it in the display. Really, really awesome BMS! I'm still not going to lose diligence with my lipo, but I feel a little better now.
I have 25 packs in my frame. I had to take 2 packs out of their hard cases for them to fit. I left all the original connectors on so I can replace them if needed. I locally did 5 packs in series, then paralleled those groups with a 5-p adapter I made. After that I hooked up all the 0-4s balance taps in parallel, 5-8 in parallel, etc. Each pack is labeled so I didn't mess that up, ha!
I still haven't weighed the bike, but it's definitely over 100lbs. I used two bike racks. The top rack pulls straight up on the bike/bottom rack to hopefully not pull laterally on my hitch. It made it 400 miles with this.
Now we have it in our pickup 1400 more miles going to Ashland, OR.
The motor temp sensor didn't work, so I tried changing the setting for "internal thermometer". Later I noticed the wheel would hardly turn, I thought what!? I saw fet temp showed about 225*F. Woha it clicked I changed that back and everything worked again. I thought I'd burned my controller!
Then I rode it. Wow!!! Woww!! The first thing was the noise. Quiet as a whisper! I had a 9c with a 12fet infineon before, and that sounds like a jet taking off compared to the Max-e. It really sounds like a hybrid vehicle inching out of a parking space.
I was riding in normal mode. I turned it to boost. I expected a lot of power. What I got blew my mind! Huge wheelie down the street, lucky I didn't flip it! After that, I found I can do power wheelies! 20s lipo with a 19" MC wheel and max-E is wild. I think I'm about a 40mph top speed. I need to play with the timing advance still, I might get more out of it. 45mph would be nice so I can go on highways.
Still to do is rear brake and freewheel. The freewheel I got from ebikes.ca has the lip you guys warned me about and doesn't thread all the way on. :/. No chain for now! ha. Rear brake is regen for now. I put a switch on an old brake lever. The Max-E made me happy here where you can invert the switch polarity for regen
I'll power more later. Bike runs but still a ton of work left before it's really ready. I am really happy!