Death Bike vs. Tesla Model S P85

Show off your E-bike creation here.
gwhy!   1 MW

1 MW

Re: Death Bike vs. Tesla Model S P85

Post by gwhy! » Sep 08 2014 11:58am

i love to see evs kicking butt, but come on guys really...

a souped up 180cc scooter can beat a ferrari off the line.. its apples and oranges.. we all know tweaked bikes are faster than stock cars..

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Sep 08 2014 12:03pm

So sick. When I posted this on Facebook I could use the link bait title : "Bicycle vs Tesla, Poor Tesla..."

I love that there is still pedals on this. Not so sure about that passenger seat hahahaha

I love how stable it is. No handed riding, perfectly stable. It's actually really great geometry!

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Sep 08 2014 12:24pm

gwhy! wrote:i love to see evs kicking butt, but come on guys really...

a souped up 180cc scooter can beat a ferrari off the line.. its apples and oranges.. we all know tweaked bikes are faster than stock cars..
Sure, but not down a 1/4 track, and a souped-up scooter wouldn't do it in 11.5 seconds at 110+mph.
Luke did it on a bicycle built for two. That's not just awesome, that's Trollin'.

LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike. :mrgreen:
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

Thud   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Thud » Sep 08 2014 12:58pm

LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike.
+1 :mrgreen:

awesome day buddy! absolutely love the tandem licious'sness of it.
get some......

All information & advice provided by Thud are "Open Source" & free for personal use & distribution under the following agreement linked below.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Sep 08 2014 1:05pm

Thud wrote:
LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike.
+1 :mrgreen:

awesome day buddy! absolutely love the tandem licious'sness of it.

Next time it shows up at a track it will have just a bit over 2x the power it has in this video. And I agree, tassels on both front and rear bars seem critical.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

gwhy!   1 MW

1 MW

Post by gwhy! » Sep 08 2014 1:21pm

Drunkskunk wrote:
gwhy! wrote:i love to see evs kicking butt, but come on guys really...

Sure, but not down a 1/4 track, and a souped-up scooter wouldn't do it in 11.5 seconds at 110+mph.
Luke did it on a bicycle built for two. That's not just awesome, that's Trollin'.

LFP, Next time you need to show up at the track with tassels, training wheels, and a kid's basket on the bike. :mrgreen:
You are quite right but a tweeked 650cc motorcycle can do it in that time and hit those speeds.. all I am saying is keep things into perspective.

dont get me wrong its all good to see and supports the EV revolution ... and I also take my hat off to LFP for his style :mrgreen:
Last month’s end brought TDR Scooters the world record for a single cylinder 178 cc fully automatic twist and go scooter, at the Santa Pod Raceway (England), with an impressive 11.9037 at 108.27 mph for a quarter of a mile. Also, during that lucky day on May 30, the record was followed by an 11.9760 at 105.73 mph
Not to far off though :wink:

crezzy2k1   1 W

1 W

Post by crezzy2k1 » Sep 08 2014 1:42pm

Just Awesome man!
2004 Giant DH Comp: 24s4p, HS3540, Lyen 18fet
2010 Giant Boulder SE: 36V 20AH, MAC 7t, Lyen 12fet

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Sep 08 2014 1:55pm

Based on the time vs. top speed of your bike, I would guess that you are accelerating up to about the 1/8th mile insanely fast, and then peaking at top speed at about 3/16-mile and continuing that top speed through the 1/4.

According to a few online calculators, at 11.5 Seconds your speed should be in the 117+ mph range.

Are Aero and higher gearing in Deathbike V8.0's future?
Last edited by teslanv on Sep 08 2014 2:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
DD Hubs, Batteries, Controllers & Custom Ebikes.
http://westcoastelectrics.com
West Coast Electric Cycles
Bellevue, WA
USA

nicobie   10 MW

10 MW

Post by nicobie » Sep 08 2014 2:12pm

Drunkskunk wrote:
gwhy! wrote:
Actually his v1 edition running (and smoking) one of Methods hub motors was hot pink

:mrgreen:

May your tote always stay tight and your edge eversharp :wink:

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701

madin88   100 MW

100 MW

Post by madin88 » Sep 08 2014 2:39pm

awesome. the golden motor seems to be good.
i like the name death bike. i guess it will be for an unexperienced driver :twisted:
- 10kW belt drive with Neumotor 8057: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=91144&start=50#p1377787
- Fully road legal (L1E approval) e-bike based on Votec V-FR frame
/ MXUS 3T / 17" Mitas MC11 / Adaptto Max-E / 20s12p 25R
- KTM Hardtail Pedelec / eZee V2 6T / 27,5" / Kelly KBSX @ 1,5kW / Torque PAS / CA-V3 / 13s4p Sanyo GA in Shark case

speedmd   100 MW

100 MW

Post by speedmd » Sep 08 2014 3:07pm

teslanv wrote:Based on the time vs. top speed of your bike, I would guess that you are accelerating up to about the 1/8th mile insanely fast, and then peaking at top speed at about 3/16-mile and continuing that top speed through the 1/4.

According to a few online calculators, at 11.5 Seconds your speed should be in the 117+ mph range.

Are Aero and higher gearing in Deathbike V8.0's future?
Agree, it looked to me that Luke has a killer acceleration from about 50-80 meters out to the 1/8. Would love to see what it could do if he had a higher gear to shift into somewhat Instantaneously like a top fueler or F1 does and continue on that acceleration curve. I think under 10 seconds looks very possible given they way that pulls. F'n awesome. It would make a great street outlaws segment.

100volts+   10 kW

10 kW

Post by 100volts+ » Sep 08 2014 3:40pm

That bike frame is stretched out, It would have dogman and amberwolf salivating. Those guys love a stretched frame and it looks more resistant to wheelies than version 1.0
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =1&t=57440

Unlike puppets we have the possibility of stopping in our movements,
looking up and perceiving the machinery by which we have been moved. In this
act lies the first steps towards freedom. - PETER BERGER Sociologist

Thud   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Thud » Sep 08 2014 3:59pm

nicobie wrote:
Actually his v1 edition running (and smoking) one of Methods hub motors was hot pink

:mrgreen:
Hey nic, here is a little memory of that day.

Luke has switched phones too many times to find the pictures of us cutting on that bike in my motel room :lol: surprised we didn't set the bed on fire...you can see the pink deathbike1 in the shots.....( this was prior to the "smoking dicks" 3540

Ahhh good times.
get some......

All information & advice provided by Thud are "Open Source" & free for personal use & distribution under the following agreement linked below.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Sep 08 2014 4:11pm

100volts+ wrote:That bike frame is stretched out, It would have dogman and amberwolf salivating. Those guys love a stretched frame
Dunno about Dogman, but no, it wouldn't have me salivating because it's stretched, only because of the amount of off-the-line power it has (I don't need anything like the speed it can do, but I'd love the startup power ;)).

My preference isn't relaly for a "stretched" frame, but for a bike that can haul cargo *and* let me sit comfortably in a suspended-mesh type seat. The fact that this just about requires a stretched frame is incidental. :P

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Sep 08 2014 5:37pm

madin88 wrote:awesome. the golden motor seems to be good.
i like the name death bike. i guess it will be for an unexperienced driver :twisted:

I don't know why people keep thinking it's a golden motor. The golden motor became a smoking pile of char 4 versions of deathbike ago. The golden motor was never capable of 1/3 of this motor's performance.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

bigmoose   100 MW

100 MW

Post by bigmoose » Sep 08 2014 5:56pm

A collage of death bike V1 through V7 would be a great thing to have for the "museum..." :mrgreen:
"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..." all the best, Dave

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Sep 08 2014 6:01pm

bigmoose wrote:A collage of death bike V1 through V7 would be a great thing to have for the "museum..." :mrgreen:

What a great idea Dave! We could compile early photos in a thread somewhere and go through the various iterations to clear up confusion about it. Great to see you my friend!!

Ohbse   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Ohbse » Sep 08 2014 6:14pm

Awesome stuff! Have you got the figures from the time slip? Curious to see how 330' and 18th mile line up against similar ETs.

Details on the recent round of mods? Love it :D
Last edited by Ohbse on Sep 08 2014 6:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigmoose   100 MW

100 MW

Post by bigmoose » Sep 08 2014 6:16pm

Thanks Luke! Very impressed with the latest rendition! Tried to get a good side view from the video, but didn't have much luck. Would be interesting to compare the versions and have your commentary on changes looking backwards. This type of thing would be "priceless."

We are watching the Edisons and Tesla's of our day in action. It should be archived for posterity.
"Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God..." all the best, Dave

Scott   100 W

100 W

Post by Scott » Sep 08 2014 7:28pm

bigmoose wrote:Thanks Luke! Very impressed with the latest rendition! Tried to get a good side view from the video, but didn't have much luck.
Here are some pictures from the event (not mine) there are two of Lukes bike.
Trek Liquid 10 9c 48v 10ah, top speed 28.5 mph. 55.2 mph down a steep hill. - sold
Giant DH Team build http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=51106 top speed 70 mph

kfong   1 MW

1 MW

Post by kfong » Sep 08 2014 8:12pm

The latest version with the passenger seat it way cool. Wasn't even aware that it's gone through that many updates. Very stable from the vids. How did you get so skinny as well!

Icewrench   10 kW

10 kW

Post by Icewrench » Sep 08 2014 9:00pm

A good one of the bike
DBv7.jpg
DBv7.jpg (113.64 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
A couple happy campers
luke&jr.jpg
luke&jr.jpg (72.33 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Sep 08 2014 9:37pm

I don't know why people keep thinking it's a golden motor
Sorry, Luke...it's probably me. I have read along with the various motor upgrades until the Golden Motor, then I have posted that several places. I haven't seen the subsequent posts with the newer one. Just for the record, what is the motor model, controller model, and volts/amps?

gogo   10 MW

10 MW

Post by gogo » Sep 08 2014 10:51pm

I think the first motor after the Golden was an evaluation motor from Zero.

Online dragstrip calculators seem to be tailored to heavier automobiles. The death bike is a classic example of gaining speed so quickly that there just isn't time to attain a high top speed. Some observers get focused on how high the trap speed is, but a low trap speed qualified by the E.T. can tell of a very good hook-up off the line. Also, the heavier the vehicle for a given mass/power ratio, the more momentum there is to punch through air resistance. The cars Luke is running against are catching up to him at the end of 1/4 mile and would certainly pass him by the 1/2 mile. He owns the 1/8 mile.

I couldn't launch my RD350 without nearly flipping over until I started using wheelie bars. Wheelie bars can take weight off the rear wheel at a critical time in the launch, however. Luke went straight for the more refined strategy of proper weight distribution along with an extended wheelbase. Then he trimmed down his ballast weight. He seems to like exploring the outer edges of previously established envelopes. :shock:
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." -Steven Wright

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » Sep 08 2014 10:53pm

spinningmagnets wrote:
I don't know why people keep thinking it's a golden motor
Soory, Luke...it's probably me. I have read along with the various motor upgrades until the Golden Motor, then I have posted that several places. I haven't seen the subsequent posts with the newer one. Just for the record, what is the motor model, controller model, and volts/amps?
It's a 1st prototype and development test motor for what became the 2013 Zero motor. It's an extremely efficient PMAC 3 phase air cooled inrunner. I have fitted, dyno tested and tuned, and raced with a Perm132 (modded), an Agni 95R (brushes setup by Cedric Lynch himself), the big brushless MARS, the 5kW golden motor and the biggest 10kW golden motor.

This motor has higher continous power capability than any 2 of them combined. This motor also isn't saturated even if you pump in enough current to make > 200ft-lbs. (I'm going to be pumping enough current into it to do that soon.)

I'm running a Sevcon gen4 size 6 controller setup with special firmware. It draws >700A off the battery, which is 117vdc fully charged. It's currently a 50Ah pack, but I'm thinking about going 8p 28s with 56 of this 4s Nanotech pack.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _tech.html

Then removing the heavy duty GP superbike dual disk front end, and replacing it with a light weight bicycle front and brake again. Possibly a road bike fork and aero rim/tire setup. It has no front brake, and for drag I think it's regen is adequate brake alone.

Switching battery and front end should shave ~55lbs, and the second size6 controller and cables will be maybe another 12lbs.
So net reduction in weight of ~40-45lbs, 2x torque and HP, and re-gearing it for ~165mph.

It still won't be an impressive bicycle for Dauntless, but I do think it would be peppy enough for most members. ;-)