New custom frame mod - GT Fury eBike.

Samd

10 MW
Well,
after a few successful custom frame projects it seems I've attracted some local interest with people who want a truly bespoke build with major pedigree.
So after the customer challenged me to find the best donor bike around, here's what I came up with.

I'm juggling a few builds at the moment, but this will make it even harder to sleep at night 8)
I pick it up tomorrow or Weds. :p

Voila! :mrgreen:
fury.jpg

Well it all looks a goer for battery space. Took delivery and can't wait to pull it apart and sandblast it.
Will feel a bit sick cutting out the downtube area! :p

IMG_20140930_224444.jpg

Should be able to run a 6mm torque plate on the inside of this dropout and grind out the axle holder. Nothing like a 150mm rear dropout width 8)
View attachment 1
Not as much meat on the derailleur side to secure a torquey motor but I have a plan. :p
20140927_114719.jpg

Battery box, cut and shut concept.

I want to try something rounder given the number of these I have now had done.
Battbox.jpg

And some more...

Attachments

• 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 4,296
Samd said:
Battery box, cut and shut concept.
I want to try something rounder given the number of these I have now had done.
I was just about to ask/suggest that given the existing curves of the frame - it would be a bit of a travesty to hang a big square box off something so nice and curvey.

I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome, and just how thin those tubes are. I know most of the ones you've been working on are cheaper or older frames that have pretty thick walls but some of these newer/high end bikes have some frightening thing walled tubes on them! Obviously they're engineered to suit the intended purpose but some sound like they're not much thicker than an aluminium can when you tap them!

My new customer owns an interesting engineering firm.
I have the full run of his workshop and team.
Pinch me.

Two new technologies up for considering.

http://youtu.be/llhcATrmsBg

And hydro graphics, which is equally insane an idea.

Loving it.

Well a few things have happened.

I bought a Fury for myself 8) - I plan to fill mine with about 800 watt hours of 18s multistar, and pull 35 amps into my usual gearmotor setups.

Customer has only about a 40kph speed requirement, and about 25 amps. That will help me keep it all compact and not spoil the handling of the bike turning it into a Bomber or Phasor.

So I went with a 10% faster wind than usual on a gearmotor (BPM) and went for 13s only in order to fit the short downtube. But if he fries the BPM (he's not worried) he might go for a DD hub or Mac. I checked out his acreage and there's not a lot of hills on the terrain where he'll largely be riding...

Found a semi-local guy making batteries, not cheap but seems good quality and I don't have the time. And it turns out he is fast.
So he's made me up a tapered battery for 13s and 14.5 Ahr, with a 50 amp discharge.
He seems confident of the discharge on his stock so let's find out for sure..
View attachment 1

Bike is parted out and ready for blasting once I remove the headset tonight...
20141005_222223.jpg

Banana shaped battery pack received and frame blasted.

Now to go start laser cutting the sides for the welding!

Wanna see it naked?
I'm off to pick it up from having it shotblasted....

Ha! Thanks!

Now to CAD up the plates for the dropouts and test the shape on the 3d printer before cutting :mrgreen:
20141009_172016_20141009_172733.jpg

Yep but if I don't get yours worked out on paper by next week I'll be embarrassed :oops:

Im interested in the dropout configuration. 8)

beast775 said:
Im interested in the dropout configuration. 8)

Gday Beast, 150mm internal width, so clamping drops similar to the method that Kiwi Labs pioneered.
I run the CAD and put the design to my 3d printer, check it all out then send the files over to a laser cutter...

dbaker said:
Are those cells soldered together?

They sure are. George at jpindustries runs twisted pairs so the solder takeup is much nicer. His method of choice for high current, thin tabs are not ideal for higher amps. He mills out the acrylic holders too - I like this battery a lot - much nicer than the plastic cubic DIY ends.

I think George deserves a lot of credit on this one - http://www.jpindustries.com.au/batteries/

Serious engineering is serious. Frame is off at the welders. Furious frame is furious.

About 170 square mm of 7 serious HT alloy removed from below the neutral axis of the downtube - so we're putting a lot back just in case, both due to tension and point load from the suspension crumpling at the pickups. We're compensating for the Heat Effected Zone whel welding also.

A circular section below the shock pickups, and 6mm thick plate walls on the box section. My usual trap door underneath for battery access. And some gussets on top to stop small movements causing fatigue cracking in a few years' time.

Furious.jpg

The proof is in the pudding. Mmmm , pudding.

Back