My new Maxun One solar bike

avandalen

100 W
Here is my new Maxun One solar bike on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwwThIluujw

See Details here:
http://maxun.cc/

Solar-bike.jpg

Nice work avan. That's pretty impressive. Ever crash into anything and loose a panel ?

How small a battery you have on that thing ?

Also over here in the states we have issues when we ride in our underwear. Glad your country is more liberal.
( I kid I kid)

Thanks for sharing.

With the right angle and a strong enough gust, this solar project may turn into a wind projectile.
Maybe you could use it as a sail...

Your next step is to put it on a recumbent or better yet a velomobile :idea:

How many solar watts are you able to provide? The picture looks like your making good speed.

The fingers said:
Add a center panel to the helmet for up to 1/3 more capacity. 8)
...or better, invent solar clothing and ditch the panels 8)
Edit: newer looked from that angle but it means that you get free mudguards as well:D

The unfortunate thing is people will believe it actually works. Some basic maths will tell you the battery and pedalling are doing all the work.
For a realistic demonstration of what the panels might be adding to the equation see this video by Terry Hope.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=go9vbhrXoEU
Nothing like the 20 to 30 kph claimed more like 5.

It's nice to see the rounded corners of the panels to help prevent injury to other cyclists. Maybe that's the 'invention'. :roll:

The only thing those panels are really generating is the advertising revenue from the youtube ads.

Nice Attempt !!- Avandalen and I are email acquaintances for several years now..
Soon we could have low cost +24% eff. PV cells to play with...
- matching an airplane named Solar Impulse 2 which will be demonstrate in 2015..
then I believe the solar EV space.. will begin to get very interesting..
- In late 2013 Alta Devices before being aquired by overseas entity had agreed to provide +28% cells for my solar bike concept... which failed to transpire...

i like this video better...
[youtube]Lqqar1isI78[/youtube]
anyways..
Iàm one month away from version 3.0.. trials... so Im giving it another shot.. possibly found an PV sponsor-contributor..

It's good to see people trying to push the envelope on solar power but there is such a thing as being practical.
Unfortunately the great unwashed masses only take sound bites of information eg: " there's a guy who made a solar bike, but the oil companies don't want you to know about it", and add a conspiracy to explain why they are not readily available at your local shops never mind they are totally impractical or just don't work.

In reality our friend who started this thread is not helping.

I want to claim ownership of a wind-powered eBike. Its actually true, as I use the
header.logo1.gif
green-up option for my electricity. Yes, solar and/or wind plus light electric vehicles is the way to go, but, pleaaassssse, the generation is best left on the ground as a stationary device. I'm currently still researching flexible light weight solar panels to take on my solar-eBike-camping tour. But it'll be setup while camped... looking to get sufficient panel area for a 4-hour or less charge of 48V 40ah battery.

mushymelon said:
This thing looks irresponsibly dangerous.

Things like this give joe average the feeling that the world energy crisis can be solved with a few solar panels.
In recent times heavily government funded rebates and feed in tariffs in Australia have seen a boom in grid connected solar.
People think they are generating useful power because they are not getting a bill or even a refund where in reality a roof covered in solar panels would not even offset the 2hp air conditioner cooling the home in actual energy produced.
What they are getting is a tax payer funded free ride.

Before the government stepped in almost no one had grid connect.
You are quite right it is irresponsible and dangerous on many levels.

It's like the old days of landowners. Serfs are frocked, cause they get a sliver of land to tend to. While the rich land barons are able have vast stretches of solar power at their disposal.

Since I'm a city dweller on a sliver, maybe I can coerce my neighbors to let me use their available "sunny space" for my gain. :p

If I lived in a high wind area, I'd use a portable wind turbine. It would output more energy than solar. Maybe that's why I don't see solar panels on sailboats. I do, however, see wind turbines on sailboats.

Modbikemax said:
lester12483 said:
Cool solar bike. Well done sir!!

How much did it cost you to build?

See what I mean! :|

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

chucho said:
Modbikemax said:
lester12483 said:
Cool solar bike. Well done sir!!

How much did it cost you to build?

See what I mean! :|

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont feed the top heavy trolls.. lol
hey Modbikemax why dont you find another thread to moderate or hijack with your impenetrable views..

--rovers-satellites
A highly sophisticated martian rover can operate on 140 watts of PV.. for over 11 years... I hope some people are looking into ways to shoehorn +100Watts onto my bike.. why only space vehicles and satellites get to use PV...
the form is not practical YET! but with flexible PV.. very close to market... Use your imagination...
what I mean by this is ..
Start from the parts of your brain that is based at the bottom of your skull and let the idea flow all the way up to the top of your head.. ie. instead of top - down..

140 watts is more than the rover needs to operate. That would have been calculated with a large margin for variables long before the probe was sent.

The solar panels on the bike are far less than required to propel the bike along at the claimed speed. I posted a third party video to demonstrate that.

Some simple maths will also demonstrate that.

I guess some people just want to believe in fairy tales, trolls and all.

The solar panels on the bike are far less than required to propel the bike along at the claimed speed. I posted a third party video to demonstrate that.

Actually, he is sporting between 150 and 200W of panels. Around noon and in summer, say he can generate 100W solar.

With 100 kg of bike and rider on level ground and a Bionx PL350 motor, that will get him 16.7kph at 100 Watts (no draw on the battery). http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

I know those numbers are close since my Terratrike Solar Cruiser (150 kg bike and rider and 200W of panels) will cruise at 15-17 mph in Arizona Summer 11am-2pm in medium assist (100+% assist) on gentle rolling hills and still charge very slowly. It will also cruise at 13-15mph (throttle only) with no battery use in the same (near ideal) solar conditions.

In fact, in the initial trial of the Solar Cruiser, I was getting 7-8 mph average with a <1Ah battery and just a single 100W panel -- all the battery did was keep the Bionx system awake while the panel provided ALL the power for the motor. Again, this is noon summer Arizona and level ground.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62700

icerider said:

Actually, he is sporting between 150 and 200W of panels. Around noon and in summer, say he can generate 100W solar.

With 100 kg of bike and rider on level ground and a Bionx PL350 motor, that will get him 16.7kph at 100 Watts (no draw on the battery). http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

I know those numbers are close since my Terratrike Solar Cruiser (150 kg bike and rider and 200W of panels) will cruise at 15-17 mph in Arizona Summer 11am-2pm in medium assist (100+% assist) on gentle rolling hills and still charge very slowly. It will also cruise at 13-15mph (throttle only) with no battery use in the same (near ideal) solar conditions.

In fact, in the initial trial of the Solar Cruiser, I was getting 7-8 mph average with a <1Ah battery and just a single 100W panel -- all the battery did was keep the Bionx system awake while the panel provided ALL the power for the motor. Again, this is noon summer Arizona and level ground.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62700

So what you are saying is he has half the power required if everything is perfect, no shadows, no losses and full sun on a cool day, flat ground.
So we agree he does not have enough power from the panels alone, which his web site is claiming.

"Riding by solar energy is a unique experience; we just need sunny summer weather. Instead of lugging around with heavy batteries, which have to be charged on the go anyway, you can now drive day after day without being dependant on recharging. It is like having a perpetual motion machine! And the absence of large batteries makes the solar bike very lightweight, sportive and fast. You will often overtake other cyclists which wonder: what was that? The solar bike is one of the most remarkable vehicles on the street, nothing compares, no one has ever seen such a thing before."

So with a 100watt deficiency his on board battery will soon be dead? So then where does all the energy come from?
Oh of course it's a " perpetual motion machine".
Please!

Back