picture of dh or fs bikes with 20" wheels

matsh

1 W
Do anyboy have some Picture to share of a downhill og full suspension bike that has installed 20" whels ?
wanting to do so With my own bike, but not shure how it will look... want some inspiration.

The ones I've seen built here right changed out both front and rear shock travel to compensate for the change in geometry. For instance, they kept their bottom bracket height as a reference and proceeded to install a 20" wheel and 180-200mm front suspension (those are made up #s FYI, I don't have a 20" FS bike). As I recall further now, it was a moto style build, meant solely for street usage.

I don't see too many trail bikes with 20" wheels all around. Many have changed out the rear 26" wheel for 24" with good handling results.

Here's my 100mph+ street rocket DS that started life as a Cannondale SuperV700freeride. The rear tire has a 19.5" OD. Ignore the duct tape. Now that the test period is over, I'm overhauling the pack to fit more batteries in the swingarm battery bay to dress it up for the new year. With some other small changes I hope to push it past 110mph before reconfiguring the battery for a lower voltage.

Neptronix, 20-inch Magic Pie with fat moped tire:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35060&start=350#p574569

wheeldifference.jpg

here is my 20"DSCN1787[1].jpgDSCN1865_1[1].jpg

Does it have to be FS? (the ones Spinningmagnets posted are not). If it does not, then here's CrazyBike2: Ignore the green arrow. ;)

Attachments

• 1 090.jpg
    1 090.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,305
matsh said:
Do anyboy have some Picture to share of a downhill og full suspension bike that has installed 20" whels ?
wanting to do so With my own bike, but not shure how it will look... want some inspiration.

Looks aside, it's not usually a good idea to fit wheels much smaller than what the bike was designed for. Ground clearance is reduced by the change in tire radius, and it becomes easy to strike pedals, cranks, or even chainrings depending on riding surface and style.

If you choose to go this route, try to raise the ride height at both ends by means of changes in suspension components. Adding a longer fork is often easy, but adding a longer shock and/or swingarm is more of a project.

Chalo is right. I went from 29 to 24 and the bike was unridable. It was impossible to pedal around any turn because the pedals kept hitting the ground. You live and learn.

I managed to find a 26er bike with removable drop outs. I use a 29er fork and I made custom drop outs to correct the geometry. I am still using 24" bicycle wheels and 19" mc wheels though.

It works great. If you did the same, you might still need shorter cranks though. You are looking at lowering the bike 3 inches or so. A 29er fork will make up 1.5 of those inches in the front so you are still a lot lower.

Back