Carbon fibre frame hack Norco Aline

Timma2500

1 kW
Hi everyone, this is my latest frame hack, a new old stock 2008 Norco Aline Park Edition.

For this build the wish list was as follows:

*Light weight for a given specification level and power.
*Frame had to be responsive to pedal power
*DH suspension, 225mm rear travel.
*Strong brakes.
*A lightish hub motor rear end - small geared hub, not a big d.d.
*As usual, batteries in frame for good weight distribution.
*No welding this time 'round and no heat treating issues -temper is as per factory Norco ;)

Specs: 8t Mac (will replace with a 10t in time), Sapim 13/14ga spokes, Velocity VXC 26" rear rim (aussie made :) ), 150mm rear end, cellman 12fet 40a, 12s 30c Turnigy lipo was 4ah now 8ah, CA meter v2.23.

Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock / titanium spring / tftuned shock mount kits (HD / low friction), Marzocchi 55cr 170mm air fork / 20mm axle, Hope M4 brakes, braided lines, floating 203mm rotors fr & rear.

2.30" Specialized Enduro Pro dirt tyres(really old yikes! / 1.35" Schwalbe Kojak slicks - wicked tyres, ebikes.ca torque arms x 2, 8spd dnp, left side X9 8spd shifter, X5 short cage rear derailleur, E-thirteen chain device,
Renthal 34t front chainring, Shimano Deore M590 cranks Easton EA70 riser handle bars and seat post, heavy but comfy wtb v speed seat, ODI lockon grips.

Final weight of frame was only 160 grams heavier than stock oem frame - 500 grams of aluminium got cut out, 660 grams of carbon fibre went on in its place ;)

Pics to come when I can figure out how to compress them on a Samsung s4... Pics are too big, any suggestions would be appreciated lol :oops: :lol:

Final weigh in tonight with 8ah lipo and the heavier 2.3"s on.
Edit: Weighed it - 23kg with 8ah, bang on my target for a change haha. Very happy with that! :D

View attachment 1

Paul.

Sounds good Paul. Maybe follow you with my A-line depending on the outcome. How's Queensland treating you by the way.Try emailing them to yourself. It may ask if you want to make the image smaller. It works for me but depends on who's your internet provider

Rod

Yep it's the same blue frame as yours Rodney.
I've been back in WA for a few months now Rod, Brissy has grown too big for my liking in the 7yrs I've been here in Jan...
Just been laying low and building this.
Oh and did nerve damage to my leg so I had a floppy right foot for a few months too... yeah 2014 was fun not lol.

Paul

Yep feeling good about 2015 :D

Cheers Rodney, I'll try emailing them to me 1st as you suggested previously, just got side tracked lol.

Paul

Sounds like a great trail setup. As for scaling pics, try looking for an app to do it for you. I'm using an app called "image size" on the iPad, but I bet there are similiar ones for the android. Your lighter setup should feel way more responsive. How are you addressing the cf dropouts?

Cheers, I'll have a look for that app!

Yeah it's fun, nice and flickable on the trail and can still wheelie enough for obstacles etc. Funny enough I've only done sand trail riding on it so far, it copes admirably the poor little mac.

I've got about 100kms of riding on it so far with zero issues, stoked with that.
All I've got to do now is make a permanent access door / cover (I'm still using the bit I cut out and it's too small) and make a harness for the extra 4ah.

Paul

Yeah, when I first bought the BMC/MAC. I was worried about the abuse it could take in the trails. As long as you stay under 2k watts, it will last. I'm not even using the new blue gears, just the second gen green ones. It takes all my jumps without issues, had to replace the rim this past season due to the rim cracking from my jumps and power slides. The bike is ready to rip for the new year. I've picked up a torque sensor from Ebikes.ca and Justin's latest CA. I noticed I use the throttle way more than necessary. The torque sensor should keep me from wasting power and extend my distance and ride time. I'm hoping it will feel more natural as well, allowing me to focus just on the ride.

Nice about 25lbs lighter than my setup.

Wow! That is nice! Your bikes keep getting better and better. I too would like more info on the build. Thanks for sharing your talent. This is what a good ebike looks like!

Back