Vector bike and frame owners.

Show off your Ebike creation here.
Post Reply
ozman   100 W

100 W
Posts: 180
Joined: Mar 04 2012 4:44am
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by ozman » Nov 05 2015 10:42pm

Hi Guys Merlin Cycles has a 10% off sale on Brakes

You get an extra 10% off when you check out so i grabbed two sets of the Shimano Zee 4 piston front and rear set 168$ USD free delivery.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-zee ... 63412.html

User avatar
Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 28 2011 11:08pm
Location: Ballarat, AU
Contact:

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by Samd » Nov 05 2015 11:21pm

Nice find!
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 05 2015 11:22pm

Thank you Artur :)
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

liamcaff   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 429
Joined: Feb 17 2013 6:21pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by liamcaff » Nov 09 2015 12:37pm

ozman wrote:Hi Guys Merlin Cycles has a 10% off sale on Brakes

You get an extra 10% off when you check out so i grabbed two sets of the Shimano Zee 4 piston front and rear set 168$ USD free delivery.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-zee ... 63412.html
Seem to be sold out already :(

ozman   100 W

100 W
Posts: 180
Joined: Mar 04 2012 4:44am
Location: Sydney Australia

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by ozman » Nov 09 2015 1:42pm

liamcaff wrote:
ozman wrote:Hi Guys Merlin Cycles has a 10% off sale on Brakes

You get an extra 10% off when you check out so i grabbed two sets of the Shimano Zee 4 piston front and rear set 168$ USD free delivery.

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-zee ... 63412.html
Seem to be sold out already :(

Bummer
Sorry you missed out the deal.

User avatar
Artur   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Jul 03 2014 3:29am

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by Artur » Nov 09 2015 5:36pm

I will offer soon better price for rear shock, and better price for brakes ;) so dont upset guys.. just wait 2 more weeks ;)

User avatar
Artur   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Jul 03 2014 3:29am

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by Artur » Nov 10 2015 12:59pm


User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 10 2015 2:39pm

Really nice video. Just how I wished to see. Awesome!
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

drew12345   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 899
Joined: Oct 16 2013 8:34pm
Location: MD, USA

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by drew12345 » Nov 11 2015 11:33pm

I can't view the video. Get warning music not supported in my country (USA).

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 12 2015 12:38pm

drew12345 wrote:I can't view the video. Get warning music not supported in my country (USA).
http://convert2mp3.net/ Download the youtubevideo and press "umwandeln" (I don´t know if the web site will be english if you visit it from the USA...)
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 13 2015 1:21pm

What rear tires do you guys recomment? 17" or 19" motorcycle tires on a QS 205 (50H) motor? Someone told me the 17" is better for a Vector...?
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

User avatar
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3676
Joined: Jul 22 2014 5:59pm

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by macribs » Nov 13 2015 4:52pm

DasDouble wrote:What rear tires do you guys recomment? 17" or 19" motorcycle tires on a QS 205 (50H) motor? Someone told me the 17" is better for a Vector...?
Well if you pick a wheel size based on what makes the motor more efficient you would go for the 17". Because the DD hubmotors don't have internal gears your rim size determine the max RPM of the motor, and smaller wheels makes for less max RPM, but it also means the motor will be more in its most efficient power band. Even climbing steep hills will be easier for the motor with smaller diameter rims. So to sum up, smaller wheel size = lower gearing then bigger wheel size. You loose a little top end, but you gain more torque and should have even better acceleration.

I think maxxis has an aggressive threaded dirt tyre in 17". But any moto tire will work. From what I've read the maxxis is sticky and soft and will give plenty of traction.

Image

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 13 2015 5:47pm

macribs wrote:
DasDouble wrote:What rear tires do you guys recomment? 17" or 19" motorcycle tires on a QS 205 (50H) motor? Someone told me the 17" is better for a Vector...?
Well if you pick a wheel size based on what makes the motor more efficient you would go for the 17". Because the DD hubmotors don't have internal gears your rim size determine the max RPM of the motor, and smaller wheels makes for less max RPM, but it also means the motor will be more in its most efficient power band. Even climbing steep hills will be easier for the motor with smaller diameter rims. So to sum up, smaller wheel size = lower gearing then bigger wheel size. You loose a little top end, but you gain more torque and should have even better acceleration.

I think maxxis has an aggressive threaded dirt tyre in 17". But any moto tire will work. From what I've read the maxxis is sticky and soft and will give plenty of traction.

Image
That is really helpfull. Thank you for your help! :)
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

maxRpm   10 W

10 W
Posts: 75
Joined: Feb 14 2015 8:31pm
Location: Stockton CA.

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by maxRpm » Nov 15 2015 1:56am

Weather was great today took the bike out and remembered to take some pictures.Image
Image
Image

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 17 2015 9:12am

What rear tires do you recomment? 18"X1.85" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel or 18"X1.6" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel?
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

User avatar
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3676
Joined: Jul 22 2014 5:59pm

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by macribs » Nov 17 2015 9:42am

DasDouble wrote:What rear tires do you recomment? 18"X1.85" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel or 18"X1.6" 1X2 Cross Pattern Rear Wheel?
Hm you ask about tires yet you wrote down 2 different rim sizes? Not sure what to think of that. I will take it as if you ask about which rim to choose. The theoretical best choice is the rim with the least weight. The 18" x 1.6" is not as wide as the other rim, so rim will be lighter. Which is a good thing. Less rotating mass, less unsprung weight etc. Even the thinner one will be able to use wide enough tires to inflict with the Vector swing arm. If prices dictate you choice, then I would go for the cheapest. Because to be frank the difference between those rims are not that great in the first place, and when you know you will anchor a 25 lbs hub motor in the center the little weight savings might turn out to be negotiable at best.

For front wheel I would for sure go the thinnest as every lbs count more up front.

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 17 2015 11:35am

I want to be able to go in every terrain with this bike. Bigger rim means bigger resistance on the ground... A + for offroad riding.. Isn´t it? Also more braking power if you ask me. Am I wrong?
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

User avatar
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3676
Joined: Jul 22 2014 5:59pm

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by macribs » Nov 17 2015 2:26pm

DasDouble wrote:I want to be able to go in every terrain with this bike. Bigger rim means bigger resistance on the ground... A + for offroad riding.. Isn´t it? Also more braking power if you ask me. Am I wrong?

Well, heavier wheels are not what you are looking for. Breaking action is determined by your brakes and the tires grip. Rear brake does very little to stop you. Front brake does most of the job. Because when you hit the brakes, the weight shift forward from "neutral" position about 50/50 between front and rear tire. And when brakes engages weights is forced forward to the front wheel so the front brake do most of the heavy work. As the weight shifts forward the rear wheel get less traction and is prone to lock up and start "skidding". In a curve or on slick roads that can cause you to tip over.

So when I say weight shifts forward, doesn't that mean heavier rims are better also in front? Well no. Because heavier also mean more unsprung weight, that will impact the handling, steering response and will lessen the riding experience. Lighter is better for wheels if you have a choice. When it comes to 1.85 x 1.6 or 1.85 the difference is not so grand, but if prices are more or less equal choose the lighter one.

The width or tire print on the road/surface is determined also by the width and dimensions of the tire. On both those rims you can easily fit tires that are wider then what your swing arm will allow without cutting and welding. Both those rim will handle offroad riding just fine, the lighter one will at least give you a theoretical advance. Because turn in, steering response and feel/feed back might be a little bit better.

Also on tire choices you can save weight. You can use 2 ply tires that are very light weight, or heavier 4 ply tires.
Last edited by macribs on Nov 17 2015 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 17 2015 5:59pm

macribs wrote:
DasDouble wrote:I want to be able to go in every terrain with this bike. Bigger rim means bigger resistance on the ground... A + for offroad riding.. Isn´t it? Also more braking power if you ask me. Am I wrong?

Well, heavier wheels are not what you are looking for. Breaking action is determined by your brakes and the tires grip. Rear brake does very little to stop you. Front brake does most of the job. Because when you hit the brakes, the weight shift forward from "neutral" position about 50/50 between front and rear tire. And when brakes engages weights is forced forward to the front wheel so the front brake do most of the heavy work. As the weight shifts forward the rear wheel get less traction and is prone to lock up and start "skidding". In a curve or on slick roads that can cause you to tip over.

So when I say weight shifts forward, doesn't that mean heavier rims are better also in front? Well no. Because heavier also mean more unsprung weight, that will impact the handling, steering response and will lessen the riding experience. Lighter is better for wheels if you have a choice. When it comes to 1.85 x 1.6 or 1.85 the difference is not so grand, but if prices are more or less equal choose the lighter one.

The width or tire print on the road/surface is determined also by the width and dimensions of the tire. On both those rims you can easily fit tires that are wider then what your swing arm will allow without cutting and welding. Both those rim will handle offroad riding just fine, the lighter one will at least give you a theoretical advance. Because turn in, and feel might be a little bit better.

Also on tire choices you can save weight. You can use 2 ply tires that are very light weight, or heavier 4 ply tires.
Thank you very much macribs! I will take the 1.6 version. :) Have a great day!
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Nov 17 2015 6:41pm

What handlebars do you guys prefer? Steal, Aluminium, or Carbon?
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

Routybouty   100 W

100 W
Posts: 161
Joined: Jul 23 2013 6:44pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by Routybouty » Nov 28 2015 6:55pm

I just switched over to carbon myself. Part of my winter lightening project!

Anyone need batteries? viewtopic.php?f=31&t=74535
Waiting for that perfect ebike.

User avatar
Artur   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Jul 03 2014 3:29am

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by Artur » Dec 16 2015 1:30pm

100% electric :)
tes.JPG
tes.JPG (83.06 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
tes2.JPG
tes2.JPG (86.3 KiB) Viewed 3256 times

User avatar
DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1177
Joined: Jul 12 2015 1:35pm
Location: GERMANIA :D

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by DasDouble » Dec 16 2015 5:24pm

Awesome! How long do you need with your bike from 0-100 km/h? I guess something like 10 seconds..? :roll: :mrgreen:

I have tried myself on this to figure out the highest real speed I could get with 4kW motor.

P(Motor)=((A/2 x CW x D x v³)+(Cr x m x g x v)) x 1,11


P(Motor) = 4kW = 4000W = 4000
A = Stirnfläche des Objekts = face of the object = around 0,6m²
CW = Luftwiederstandswert = Air resistance = 0,7
D = Dichte der Luft = Density of air = at 400 meters over the sea at 25 degree Celcius = 1,196 kg/m³
V = Geschwindigkeit = Speed = That´s what we want to calculate
CR = Rollwiederstandwert = Roll resistance = (downhill wheel with bad conditions) -> 41 Watt
m = Masse = Weight of Rider and Bike together = (65kg + 44 kg bike) = around 110 kg.
g = Erdanziehung = gravity = 9,81
Verlustfaktor = Dissipation Factor = 1,11 at efficiency 89%.

RED COLORE = Surce by google search example motorcycle.
BLUE COLORE = already known, steady data and facts.
GREEN COLORE = different, not considently data


4kW = ((0,6/2 x 0,7 x 1,196 x v³) + (41 x 110 x 9,81 x v)) x 1,11
4kW = (0,25116v³)+(44243,1v)) x 1,11
4kW = (0,25116v x 0,25116v x 0,25116v + 44243,1v) x 1,11
4kW = 4510,015938Vv x 1,11___________I /4510,015938
4000 / 4510,015938 = v x 1.11
0,8869148268 = v x 1,11_______________I / 1,11
0,7990223656 = v

Im just not shure if this means 79,9 km/h.
Tell me if you have something to add.
Last edited by DasDouble on Dec 20 2015 5:30am, edited 2 times in total.
Mechatronics-Engineering Student
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

User avatar
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3676
Joined: Jul 22 2014 5:59pm

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by macribs » Dec 16 2015 8:07pm

DD there was a list for Vector frames, can't remember if it was in this thread or in someones build thread. Sure you will find it if you search, don't have my bookmarks on the phone so can't help you with the URL.

User avatar
Artur   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1107
Joined: Jul 03 2014 3:29am

Re: Vector bike and frame owners.

Post by Artur » Dec 17 2015 11:48am

Wallpaper for #starwars :mrgreen:
Image

Post Reply