These bikes have been with us for almost a decade now. In that time, this is the second
attempt to electrify them - this time around I would say it was a solid success! There were two previous factors of failure - the battery size/reliability, and the overall weight.
We did our first outing on the bikes yesterday - it had been over two years without riding for the both of us, amazing how time flies! The bikes are two aluminum Giant Yukon hard tails. Our primary mode of operation is most commonly rail trail, to this point. We like to bike for fun and fitness, and recently we could use far more of the latter...
The kits from Paul @ EM3EV were leaps and bounds
ahead of what we had to work with last time around, I think they will prove to be reliable enough to keep us in the electric camp for some time. Two 'upgraded' MAC 8T geared hub motors, 12 FET Infineon 40A controllers, and a 14S (50V) 15ah LiMn battery, along with a couple CA v3's. I was happy to be able to program some selectable presets with these kits using the 3-pos. switch on the throttle assembly. I have set up a 350W/15mph 'Economy', a 750W/20mph 'Legal' and an 'OffRoad', unlimited profile. Having the temperature sensor data available at a glance was really very useful when climbing or pushing the limits, I think that is a great addition for longevity.
Yesterday we rode for testing, and also exercise. We turned in about 4 miles on the local streets and hills testing all the modes before hitting a section of rail trail - we rounded out the day at 10.8 miles and just under an hour of saddle time. We stuck to 'Economy' once on the trail and used the motors sparingly - an absolute wonder to be able to pedal without the motors cogging! The trip totals for myself was 11.1 Wh/mi
and the wife came in at a miserly 7.7 Wh/mi
, over that 10.8 mile distance. Being heavier (220 lbs.) has its disadvantages! I used just over 2ah out of the pack on our little journey, more than half was used during our first 4 miles "mode testing" the various capabilities. My backside will need a little R&R before the next round of testing, but so far I have been thrilled with the performance. I was able to hit 30mph on the level with no issue and could have gone faster I think, given more room to play... It even propelled my wife up a decent hill for her top speed of the day, at 27mph. You should have seen the grin on her face with these things - very happy customers here!
The kits added about 28 lbs. to each bike, which are now tipping the scales at just over ~ 60 lbs. a piece, which I think is quite manageable. The battery location is of course not ideal, but very handy to dismount and carry away with those quick disconnect Topeak bags. The Yukon alloy frames are fairly beefy in general, and I am using some old "Ampedbikes" torque arms to protect the dropouts. Hopefully with the 2KW and the added weight they will manage to hold up well over time, as our riding is generally not terribly demanding