Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Hyena

10 GW
Hey guys,
With the release of the new FUTR frames I thought it was about time we get a futr builds/ owners thread happening.

Here's the first prototype:

flux2.jpg

Now go forth and populate with pictures of your creations :)

These bikes that were formerly known as flux or flx are now called FUTR.
FUTR stands for Fly Under The Radar, a slogan you may recognise from the parent company responsible for manufacturing these frames (Stealth)
Can everyone please refer to these as futr (I guess we'll pronounce it "future") so there's no confusion with the other mass produced cheap chinese bikes called flux.

Nice.
My frame arrived yesterday. Really happy with the quality for the price.
New Picture.jpg

Rear dropouts are nice and solid. Will take a pic. Vertical slots are desirable but may make things a bit hard for me if I use a small schlumpf chainring, such as a 22 on a 2.5. May just use a regular chainwheel yet.
Hope I can bolt it up this weekend.

Noticed that the side plates are aluminium. There's not a lot of weight in the main box. But the swingarm feels as heavy. I love the fact that the gauge of the chainstays is in keeping with the size of the box. The russian/chinese stealth/raptor knockoffs can be had for a few hundred dollars less, but their narrow little chainstays always look tiny compared to the large box, like a rugby player torso on Steve Urkel's legs.

Would be interesting to drill some holes down the neutral axis of the stays to add some features.

I did note that the iso rear brake points on this design lack a sliding feature - single point location. No biggie, just interesting.

Would rather mine without the switch, but that's easy to grommet out if I decide to remove it.

My build blog

Package arrived. Well packaged with no damage.

voicecoils said:
Rodney64 said:
Package arrived.

Unpack that bad boy and take some pics you lucky dog!

Are you the first to receive one?

Our cat Luna likes it

Yes I was the first person to recieve one. Just admiring it at the moment.

Yes very impressed but I was always confident. Love the Stealth key. I will start the wiring harness tonight. My controller is the adappto without the key. So Ive just wired it with the key. Plan is to have the controller on the bottom and support the battery with blocks. Yes the rear dropouts look good and Laser cut.

I used some fine sandpaper to remove the paint to help line up the hole as it was a tight fit. Too help line the hole up as the swing arm was tight I used Elen keys stating at 3ml and going up 1 ml at a time until the hole was lined up.

When installing the rear shock it's best to get some sand paper and take off the paint, rather than hitting the bolt though.

Installed rear shock was easy after the paint was removed.

Not much more that I can do now as I'm still waiting for my seat post and front and rear brake rotors.
Updated Saturday 8/7/15

Wired up the key.

Rear tyre clearance 17" MC 3 inches wide

Just wanted to share this.

Current set up

Rear tyre is a Shrinko 3.00-17mc 45p and its dot rated to H6

Front tyre is the berm master 24 inch

Front forks 200mm Rock shox fork

Rear shock is a fox DHX 5 and it has 250mms of travel.

The shock as its pictured in the photo is in the highest position so there is potential for more travel.

The motor is a 4080.

Current setup in the photo has 320mms of travel at the bottom bracket.

As it is in the photo below the bike at the bottom bracket is 320mms

Samd said:
Would rather mine without the switch, but that's easy to grommet out if I decide to remove it.
Yeah that's all pre laser cut so not optional unfortunately. I'm sure you could repurpose it for something else, the first thing that springs to mind is a charge port. Or fit a big stereo style knob on a 5k pot hooked up the cycle analyst aux input. Program it for current or wattage and have a variable on the fly adjustable power limit. Be sure to number it 1 to 11 :mrgreen:

Nice progress Rod. Did you just happen to have the right sized bushes/reducers for the shock ?
I just had a new DHX 5 arrive this afternoon but I don't have the mounting hardware.

Here's my mock up layout so far. Unfortunately it comes out looking silver in the photos rather than the polished alloy type appearance it really has. I was hoping to have this ready for the Hunter Valley EV festival but given in 5 days I dont like my chances.

flux-progress.jpg

Rodney64 said:
Yes, I had the bushes Jay. Punched them out of a DNM shock but they're not the correct. I have the same issue as you.

If you find out what you need please post it :wink:

Thank you very much for the photos :!: :!:
The bike look great :shock:

Thanks Rod, I am as well. Your build with the 17x1.4 running the 3.00-17 SR241 and the 3.00x24 Bermaster is super sweet. I like it. That 4080 with the 17MC tire is going to flat rip, and be light weight doing it. Are you using the Max E with that combo? Again, that's just awesome. Jay, I like what you go going on there. What motor are you running? Also, is it me, or is the Flux the coolest looking DIY option out there? I leaning towards it being the coolest out there. Of course I am bias, but who cares.

Rix said:
Thanks Rod, I am as well. Your build with the 17x1.4 running the 3.00-17 SR241 and the 3.00x24 Bermaster is super sweet. I like it. That 4080 with the 17MC tire is going to flat rip, and be light weight doing it. Are you using the Max E with that combo? Again, that's just awesome. Jay, I like what you go going on there. What motor are you running? Also, is it me, or is the Flux the coolest looking DIY option out there? I leaning towards it being the coolest out there. Of course I am bias, but who cares.

Yes I'll use the 4080 with the max-e,' Rick. It's not the most ideal set up. My preference whouldnbave been the 4065 but it's what I had available at the time without spending more money.' It'll be super fast but will over heat quickly. So I will need to get the temp sensor fitted prior to running
I'm really happy the way the bikes coming together and there's not a lot of height difference between the shrinko and the 24" with the 3" berm master.

there's not a lot of height difference between the shrinko and the 24" with the 3" berm master.

Yah, they really look great together, especially with the matching polished finish on both rims.

Rodney64 said:
It's the 250mm one.

Thanks Rodney. That helps. I will keep an eye out for your post when you and Sam figure out which bushings to use. Thanks to both of you for being the guinea pigs on the build!

For those in the states, that would be the 10.5" length x 3.5" stroke I presume. For my Raptor, I picked up a DHX RC4 used on Pinkbike but I don't think I want to do that again (not really a smooth or protected transaction). I picked up a Van RC for the wife's Raptor and "may" do that again for a new shock and to save a few bucks on the Flux...

Anyone have an inexpensive source on new prior year model shocks? I've checked the usual suspects online and don't see any great deals right now. Maybe as we start to go into Fall (for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere) we will see some deals...

Rodney64 said:

Looking good Rod. Is that the head stem you plan to use with the bike? I found that my Fighter handled like a dog with the long head stem. I went to 50mm like the stock Fighter then to 70mm head stem for a bit more reach. Teamed up with 65mm riser bars, handling and aesthetics are now where I like it.

Missed my delivery of fox 5 shocks yesterday. :(
Will offer up bush info soon.

There's still 2 on eBay, tempted to buy the last ;)

Can't believe they are all NOS. Bargain.

Kepler said:
Rodney64 said:
Looking good Rod. Is that the head stem you plan to use with the bike? I found that my Fighter handled like a dog with the long head stem. I went to 50mm like the stock Fighter then to 70mm head stem for a bit more reach. Teamed up with 65mm riser bars, handling and aesthetics are now where I like it.

I've ordered this stem Kepler, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/truvativ-holzfeller-stem/rp-prod75858

And this seat in red, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sdg-bel-air-2-0-solid-ti-saddle/rp-prod113824

It's the 60mm that I've ordered. Still waiting on my seat, seat tube 30.6 and rotors to arrive. The plans to have the wiring finished this weekend. Colour theme is red, stem and the seat

I've orded the seat tube and rotars though cycling deal again red centres. Maybe too much red. I'm not sure when it'll get here as the last package took a month to get here and was on the couriers vehicle for a week. Then I had to pick it up. This was fastway couriers. So don't go this crowd, they're not fast.

Rodney64 said:
I've ordered this stem Kepler, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/truvativ-holzfeller-stem/rp-prod75858

And this seat in red, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/sdg-bel-air-2-0-solid-ti-saddle/rp-prod113824

It's the 60mm that I've ordered. Still waiting on my seat, seat tube 30.6 and rotors to arrive. The plans to have the wiring finished this weekend. Colour theme is red, stem and the seat

I've orded the seat tube and rotars though cycling deal again red centres. Maybe too much red. I'm not sure when it'll get here as the last package took a month to get here and was on the couriers vehicle for a week. Then I had to pick it up. This was fastway couriers. So don't go this crowd, they're not fast.

Perfect. I figured you would have had it under control. Just wanted to make sure.

This the handlebar / Head Stem combo I have on the Fighter at the moment.

Attachments

• 20150808_152939.jpg
    20150808_152939.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 34,222
Re: the shocks, you need bushes/reducers to space your shock out to 28-29mm.
Sam, the fox DHX5 measures 12.9mm at one end and 12.75mm at the other on my hobbyking vernier calipers of precision excellence. So you need 2x 8mm bushes.
I suspect this is a pretty common size in the mtb world as the giant downhill comp I'm using for donor parts has a manitou 220mm shock with spacers the perfect size to drop straight in. Needless to say, guess which shock I ended up fitting :)

Re: sanding the inside of the shock mount holes, yes mine was fairly tight too but not so much that I needed to sand. I guess it's just the slightest little bit of powdercoat in the hole and it's better to have a nice tight tolerance like this rather than holes that are too big and have slop. I will speak to the flux crew though and see if they can clean them up a bit after they come back from the coaters. I just poked the end of the bolt in and screwed it in as if I was tightening it into a nut and it easily 'tapped' it's way through.

Other initial thoughts: These are a pretty tall bike. I haven't fitted the BB yet but with a 26" wheel set and 220mm shock in its lowest position and seat all the way down I can't flat foot the bike (I'm 5'8) I can flat foot if I slip down onto the 'dip' in the frame but as it is this is too tall for me for the sort of offroading I like to do so I will have to experiment with the lower shock settings.

Re: stems, I prefer them as short and stubby as possible, both for handling and aesthetics. Alot of triple clamp forks run direct mount stems so I try to get as close to this as possible (on this build I AM using a direct mount stem, but these aren't available for the DNMs that I normally use)

Rix, not sure what motor and controller combo I'll be running yet. Pictured is a H40 in 26" wheel just thrown on for size. I will certainly be putting together multiple configs to go with these ranging from H40s (or even smaller for those observing CDnomics) up to cromotors. The H40 running ~5kw (ala my hadron kit) would make a sweet power:weight package with around a 15ah battery, or the mxus or crown pushing more. I'm leaning towards setting up my own personal Flux with an adaptto maxi and crown or MXUS3k and approximately a 20ah battery. Big power when you want it, mid range weight so it's manageable to lift over things but also enough range to go on long rides too. The other 2 bikes to round out my stable will be:
* A lighter weight single track machine with smaller battery, single crown forks and geared motor - basically an updated version of my blue timma cut and shut specialized fsr (very similar to Keplers fighter, even down to the colour, though completely unintentional!)
* A heavy duty brawler - basically an edirt bike - raptor with 35ah battery, moto rims front and rear and a cro running 12kw.

If I could only pick one bike it would be the flux in the above config but I've already got the others and, well, a pimp has to have a stable of hoes :p

Rod I think running the max e is overkill for a H40, the mini would deliver as much power as it'll comfortably take. But I know you've already go the max and with temp monitoring they'll take more it in short bursts. We saw the smoke show that resulted from me shoving that sort of power into one for 5 minutes fairly continuously with no temp sensor :)

Back