Stealth FUTR owners builds and pics

Show off your E-bike creation here.
User avatar
Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 28 2011 11:08pm
Location: Ballarat, AU
Contact:

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Samd » Aug 10 2015 12:59am

I'll check on the shock mounts tonight for those of us who nabbed the NOS Fox DHX 5.0's being cleared out on fleabay, and I will report in with the result.
Might need a bulk buyup on CRC between us.

If anyone else is looking for a cheap rear shock, same vendor has a Fox Vanilla R 220mm for $150AUD. (I am not affiliated).
Given the BB height reported by Rodney, this might be a good way to go. PM if needing details and I will send the link.

If anyone else is sizing shocks, here is a good primer.
http://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71-mou ... ks-a-guide
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

chilau2000   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 31
Joined: Apr 27 2014 6:38pm

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by chilau2000 » Aug 10 2015 7:28am

Hi

Can someone measure the minimum seat height and minimum frame standover height.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 10 2015 7:50am

chilau2000 wrote:Hi

Can someone measure the minimum seat height and minimum frame standover height.

As the bikes set up now, the standover height is 730mm (29.2") and the seat height minimum is 920. This would change depending on which set up that you use.

I have fitted brakes too the front.

Rear adaptor doesn't fit. This was taken off my white phasor.
Last edited by Rodney64 on Aug 17 2015 9:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chucho   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 358
Joined: Dec 15 2012 1:58pm
Location: EU Paradise; Sp

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by chucho » Aug 10 2015 4:16pm

Rodney64 wrote:
chilau2000 wrote:Hi

Can someone measure the minimum seat height and minimum frame standover height.

As the bikes set up now, the standover height is 730mm (29.2") and the seat height minimum is 920. This would change depending on which set up that you use.

I have fitted brakes too the front.

Rear adaptor doesn't fit. This was taken off my white phasor.

Image
Why it does not fit :?: :!: :?
Someone who does not doubt is a danger to the rest

9c+24slipo+60A lyen12fets+CAv3+26"hookworms=Fun commute
Cargobike+9c+13s33Ah=Fun transport
Kona entourage+ gng+ 40A lyen12fets+CAv3=Fun crosscountry
Flux+adaptto Max-e+Mxusv2+19" shinko= Monster fun Any Way

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 10 2015 4:27pm

Not the correct adaptor. I will need to get the correct one. They're code R.

User avatar
chucho   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 358
Joined: Dec 15 2012 1:58pm
Location: EU Paradise; Sp

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by chucho » Aug 10 2015 5:28pm

Rodney64 wrote:Not the correct adaptor. I will need to get the correct one. They're code R.
Thanks i was confused :mrgreen:

I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people :?:
Someone who does not doubt is a danger to the rest

9c+24slipo+60A lyen12fets+CAv3+26"hookworms=Fun commute
Cargobike+9c+13s33Ah=Fun transport
Kona entourage+ gng+ 40A lyen12fets+CAv3=Fun crosscountry
Flux+adaptto Max-e+Mxusv2+19" shinko= Monster fun Any Way

User avatar
Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 28 2011 11:08pm
Location: Ballarat, AU
Contact:

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Samd » Aug 10 2015 6:59pm

Shock mounting width is 30mm wide inside the flanges.
Shoulder bolt that comes with the kit is 8mm.
Most shocks have a 12.5mm/12.7mm internal.

I bought up six kits - enough to do three shocks last night Jay. Hence the 30mmx8mm 3 piece kit is outta stock.
Will shoot you one up in the mail when I receive them.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/e ... -prod54654

An alternative for anyone wanting to mount shocks is is head to your local bearing store and buy a 12.5mm bush with a hole smaller (eg quarter inch to half inch bush), cut it to 30mm long, and drill the center hole out from quarter inch to 8mm. Then add washers or tubing to each side of the shock to prevent lateral movement.
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 10 2015 7:21pm

chucho wrote:
Rodney64 wrote:Not the correct adaptor. I will need to get the correct one. They're code R.
Thanks i was confused :mrgreen:

I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people :?:

If you run a smaller rear shock lower mounting point on the shock
And run with a 160mm front fork then this would reduce the bottom bracket height. I have a 220mm shock so I'll do some tests tonight. I can also lower the front forks too 160mm.

User avatar
chucho   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 358
Joined: Dec 15 2012 1:58pm
Location: EU Paradise; Sp

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by chucho » Aug 10 2015 7:29pm

Rodney64 wrote:
chucho wrote:
Rodney64 wrote:Not the correct adaptor. I will need to get the correct one. They're code R.
Thanks i was confused :mrgreen:

I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people :?:

If you run a smaller rear shock lower mounting point on the shock
And run with a 160mm front fork then this would reduce the bottom bracket height. I have a 220mm shock so I'll do some tests tonight. I can also lower the front forks too 160mm.
And what happens if you put the the seat suport the other way round? up fasing down :roll:
Someone who does not doubt is a danger to the rest

9c+24slipo+60A lyen12fets+CAv3+26"hookworms=Fun commute
Cargobike+9c+13s33Ah=Fun transport
Kona entourage+ gng+ 40A lyen12fets+CAv3=Fun crosscountry
Flux+adaptto Max-e+Mxusv2+19" shinko= Monster fun Any Way

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 10 2015 7:42pm

I haven't tried it. I can to night. What your ideal seat height and stand over height

User avatar
chucho   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 358
Joined: Dec 15 2012 1:58pm
Location: EU Paradise; Sp

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by chucho » Aug 10 2015 7:54pm

Rodney64 wrote:I haven't tried it. I can to night. What your ideal seat height and stand over height
Thank you very much :!: :!: I am about 1,68, i use 19" shinko, 240 rear shock... so i would like it as lower as possible :cry:

Jay: do you think fighter seat mount is compatible with flux? Dont understand why they make them taller in the flux :?
Someone who does not doubt is a danger to the rest

9c+24slipo+60A lyen12fets+CAv3+26"hookworms=Fun commute
Cargobike+9c+13s33Ah=Fun transport
Kona entourage+ gng+ 40A lyen12fets+CAv3=Fun crosscountry
Flux+adaptto Max-e+Mxusv2+19" shinko= Monster fun Any Way

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6545
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rix » Aug 10 2015 9:04pm

chucho wrote:
Rodney64 wrote:I haven't tried it. I can to night. What your ideal seat height and stand over height
Thank you very much :!: :!: I am about 1,68, i use 19" shinko, 240 rear shock... so i would like it as lower as possible :cry:

Jay: do you think fighter seat mount is compatible with flux? Dont understand why they make them taller in the flux :?
No, the seat triangle angle on the trellis is way different. I can tell that much by the pics posted. There is no way those are interchangeable.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 10 2015 9:51pm

chucho wrote:
Rodney64 wrote:I haven't tried it. I can to night. What your ideal seat height and stand over height
Thank you very much :!: :!: I am about 1,68, i use 19" shinko, 240 rear shock... so i would like it as lower as possible :cry:

Jay: do you think fighter seat mount is compatible with flux? Dont understand why they make them taller in the flux :?
Chucko, why did you go with such a large tyre.

User avatar
Hyena   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5624
Joined: Aug 13 2008 9:10am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Hyena » Aug 11 2015 1:51am

Samd wrote:I bought up six kits - enough to do three shocks last night Jay. Hence the 30mmx8mm 3 piece kit is outta stock.
What an arse!
Will shoot you one up in the mail when I receive them.
Oh, what a gentleman :P
chucho wrote:I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people :?:
Not particularly - the inside of the frame is reinforced where the shock mount and seat subframe are so it'd be weaker if you tried to put it lower. And then it could hit the shot. Certainly the reservoir. You could get more clearance by mounting it upside down with the reserviour at the bottom, which may or may not be an issue. Someone with more shock experience wanna chime in ? Rix ?
If they wanted to do it it would have to be done at the factory, and it'd have to be a future revision. Unless there's sufficient demand to make a new seat subframe that bolts up to the existing holes. And even then it's a maybe and I don't speak for them. It looks to me like it'd be easy enough to drop the minimum seat height down an inch with a slight redesign though.
chucho wrote:And what happens if you put the the seat suport the other way round? up fasing down :roll:
LOL, you mean like this ?
lol-chucho.jpg
lol-chucho.jpg (194.96 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
In your case definitely ditch the 240mm shock and look at using a 200mm one. 19" shinko should be OK if you use the same up front too.
I will see tonight how low I can get it with a 220mm shock.

In the mean time I got these comparison measurements from stealth which might be useful.

Top of seat tube:
Bomber - 820mm
Fighter - 770mm
Flux - 800mm

Intersection of top of subframe and frame -
Bomber - 770mm
Fighter - 700mm
Flux - 700mm

Conclusion - the flux is half way between a bomber and a fighter, which in terms of form and function we knew from the get go.
The lowest 'dip' in the frame is the same on the fighter and the flux but the minimum seat height is 30mm lower on the fighter and 20mm higher on the bomber.
That all sounds about right - my flux in its current state feels about 50mm higher to sit on than my old fighter - 30mm of that is the frame design and so the other 20mm wheel size and shock position.
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

chilau2000   10 mW

10 mW
Posts: 31
Joined: Apr 27 2014 6:38pm

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by chilau2000 » Aug 11 2015 6:06am

Hi

Do you know what spring weight would be suitable for a 220mm shock and a 70kg rider ?

User avatar
Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 28 2011 11:08pm
Location: Ballarat, AU
Contact:

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Samd » Aug 11 2015 8:37am

IMG_20150811_232902.jpg
IMG_20150811_232827.jpg
Added carbon bars, seat and seatpole. And shocks/boxers.

Reamed the bb and added a schlumpf hsd but need to check chainstay clearance for chain.

Laced up a 24*50mm front to a 20mm front hub. Also laced up one of my Mxus v2 hubs to a 19" moto rim.
Cut 10mm out of the headtube. Yep.

And I added magnets to one of my 24fet 80v 80a Bluetooth controllers so I can swing it in/out while playing with batts.Trying to avoid the clunky look of a cav3 here. Removed the keyswitch so I can mount my smartphone there maybe.
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

User avatar
Rix   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6545
Joined: Mar 29 2012 11:26am
Location: Fallon NV USA

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rix » Aug 11 2015 10:14am

You could get more clearance by mounting it upside down with the reserviour at the bottom, which may or may not be an issue. Someone with more shock experience wanna chime in ? Rix ?
If they wanted to do it it would have to be done at the factory, and it'd have to be a future revision. Unless there's sufficient demand to make a new seat subframe that bolts up to the existing holes. And even then it's a maybe and I don't speak for them. It looks to me like it'd be easy enough to drop the minimum seat height down an inch with a slight redesign though.
You can invert the shock and get a little more seat tube clearance, but I as far as the seat height goes, you can cut the post as short as you want, but that seat isn't going any lower than the top of the seat tube on the frame. For lowering the Flux, going with a 200mm long shock (8") shock with say a 2.5" stroke would bring you down the ground good, but you wouldn't get nearly all the travel out the Flux that a shock with a 3 or 3.5" stroke would afford. Rods got the right idea for folks wanting a lower seat height, go with a 17MC rear wheel and same on the front. That's going to give you tires sizes from 23 to 23.6 inches, vs 25-27.5" of your bit MTB tires, that mod alone will lower your seat height up to 1.5" giving everything else being equal Just remember if you go this route in the rear and don't change nothing up front and use a short shock, your head tube angle will be more slack and this can affect slow speed handling noticeably.

User avatar
Allex   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3173
Joined: Dec 05 2011 8:46am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Allex » Aug 11 2015 12:28pm

Hyena wrote:You snooze you lose Alex :P

So you think running a slower wind for offroad efficiency and flicking into boost mode with higher values for OVS when you need more speed is the way to go ? That seems logical to me but everyone seems to be just running around with OVS maxed out these days
Well, lets just hope that the Flux will evolve further to something else as well :D
Yeah, OVS and slower wind will get the bike move faster so it is not such a bad combo.

Mammalian04   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1102
Joined: Apr 26 2014 3:26am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Mammalian04 » Aug 11 2015 1:51pm

Allex wrote:
Hyena wrote:You snooze you lose Alex :P

So you think running a slower wind for offroad efficiency and flicking into boost mode with higher values for OVS when you need more speed is the way to go ? That seems logical to me but everyone seems to be just running around with OVS maxed out these days
Well, lets just hope that the Flux will evolve further to something else as well :D
Yeah, OVS and slower wind will get the bike move faster so it is not such a bad combo.

Those are my thoughts as well. I have been running the numbers on a "MXUS 4T with 17" moto wheel" or a "5T with the 19" moto wheel," combined with the 19" moto up front.

User avatar
chucho   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 358
Joined: Dec 15 2012 1:58pm
Location: EU Paradise; Sp

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by chucho » Aug 13 2015 5:45am

Hyena wrote:
Samd wrote:I bought up six kits - enough to do three shocks last night Jay. Hence the 30mmx8mm 3 piece kit is outta stock.
What an arse!
Will shoot you one up in the mail when I receive them.
Oh, what a gentleman :P
chucho wrote:I there any way of doing new holes and putting the seat suport a bit lower so it is not that tall for small people ?
Not particularly - the inside of the frame is reinforced where the shock mount and seat subframe are so it'd be weaker if you tried to put it lower. And then it could hit the shot. Certainly the reservoir. You could get more clearance by mounting it upside down with the reserviour at the bottom, which may or may not be an issue. Someone with more shock experience wanna chime in ? Rix ?
If they wanted to do it it would have to be done at the factory, and it'd have to be a future revision. Unless there's sufficient demand to make a new seat subframe that bolts up to the existing holes. And even then it's a maybe and I don't speak for them. It looks to me like it'd be easy enough to drop the minimum seat height down an inch with a slight redesign though.
chucho wrote:And what happens if you put the the seat suport the other way round? up fasing down :roll:
LOL, you mean like this ?
lol-chucho.jpg
In your case definitely ditch the 240mm shock and look at using a 200mm one. 19" shinko should be OK if you use the same up front too.
I will see tonight how low I can get it with a 220mm shock.

In the mean time I got these comparison measurements from stealth which might be useful.

Top of seat tube:
Bomber - 820mm
Fighter - 770mm
Flux - 800mm

Intersection of top of subframe and frame -
Bomber - 770mm
Fighter - 700mm
Flux - 700mm

Conclusion - the flux is half way between a bomber and a fighter, which in terms of form and function we knew from the get go.
The lowest 'dip' in the frame is the same on the fighter and the flux but the minimum seat height is 30mm lower on the fighter and 20mm higher on the bomber.
That all sounds about right - my flux in its current state feels about 50mm higher to sit on than my old fighter - 30mm of that is the frame design and so the other 20mm wheel size and shock position.
Did not know bomber was so hight :shock: I am going to try with 19" and 240 shock cause changing the shock would change geometry and changing wheels would be too expensive for me :cry: If i cant use it i would try to make a seat holder similar to fighter that seems to be a solution... the really bad thing would be matching the colour with the frame.

Rix thank you also for the ideas... cutting i dont think is going to make much change but i thought about it also :wink:
Rodney64 19" moped are not so big... a bit smaller than 26". Never thought seat would be so hight :|

Pd: Any more photos of the Gun Metal frame :?: :?:
Someone who does not doubt is a danger to the rest

9c+24slipo+60A lyen12fets+CAv3+26"hookworms=Fun commute
Cargobike+9c+13s33Ah=Fun transport
Kona entourage+ gng+ 40A lyen12fets+CAv3=Fun crosscountry
Flux+adaptto Max-e+Mxusv2+19" shinko= Monster fun Any Way

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 13 2015 6:38am

Made some more progress today. Cut the Crystalyte phase wire bullets off the 4080, also the Crystalyte hall sensor connection and soldered longer wires so that the cables enter the frame. I've also shrink wrapped the wires white. I have also purchased 1/2'in 20TPI nylock nuts and on the 7 speed cluster side plan on grinding down a washer so it doesn't sit on the freewheel. The freewheel I'm using needs a washer which is under 21mm. Current washer is 23mm. It will work but puts stress on the side cover until it fails which Ive had happen in the past.

User avatar
Samd   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3667
Joined: Jun 28 2011 11:08pm
Location: Ballarat, AU
Contact:

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Samd » Aug 13 2015 9:14pm

Getting there!

Fitted up a 50mm wide front wheel onto a 20mm hub with 12g spokes - the extra gauge of it all is in keeping with the chunkier style of rest of the bike. Not a cheap wheel to build with a 20mm hub.
Rear 19" rim is similar in gauge, might just fit my 3.75inch speedway knobby on yet going by eye. Maybe wishful thinking. 8)
IMG_20150813_223914.jpg
I think about a 30tooth schlumpf chainring may just clear the stays. Will look tonight.

If it's halfway between a bomber and a fighter, can I call her a biter?
http://ballaratebikes.com/

ImageImageImage
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that a 165mm rear shock can't deliver 220mm of rear swingarm travel." - Oprah Winfrey.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 15 2015 2:43am

Made some more progress today


Managed to get the rear wheel on and lined up.


Image


44 tooth on the front with a 13/32 on the rear. I still need to add a couple of links too the chain and fit a gear shifter

Image











Still need to bleed the rear brakes,fit the controller temporarily, soldier on the wires to the Adaptto controller plug, drill a hole in the front panels for the controller wire and brake and throttle cable to go though. Bolt on the adaptto screen and fit the throttle, plug in a temporary battery and I should be good to go.
Last edited by Rodney64 on Aug 17 2015 7:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mar 30 2012 4:00am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Rodney64 » Aug 15 2015 4:44am

Fitted the throttle and batteries


Image



I will need to set max amps on the max-e at 120.
Last edited by Rodney64 on Aug 17 2015 9:15pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Kepler   1 GW

1 GW
Posts: 3123
Joined: Nov 08 2009 9:22pm
Location: Eastern suburbs Melbourne Australia

Re: Flux owners builds and pics

Post by Kepler » Aug 15 2015 5:44am

Bike looks great Rod. The small splashes of red really suit the white frame. Size wise, the bike looks to be good fit for you too. Look forward to hearing how the bike performs and how it compares to other builds you have done.
Current Rides

Lightest true ebike on the planet: ON ROAD https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=74269
eBoost on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eboost/200306283342024/
75 Volt 6 kW FUTR Beta 29'er: OFF ROAD

Post Reply