PROJECT MAYHEM -> Urban Assault Build Thread

methods

1 GW
PROJECT MAYHEM

ELF-UAV MKII
(Electric Lunatic Fringe – Urban Assault Vehicle)

So I have been trying to build an army of Space Monkeys but it is hard to get the kids hooked on ebike crack when they look at me and they see a clown.

Sure I am all geared up with a motor cycle jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet but. . .
I am riding a cruiser bike.

Total buzz kill.

View attachment 6
(Now I think this looks cool but I am a total geek

I would roll down to the skate park to try to convince those rotten little space monkeys that they wanted to build electric instead of those loud, obnoxious, tuned-pipe-having, weed-wacker street scooters that they so enjoy riding at 2AM. You can hear these things from 6 miles away and they only go about 15mph so you get to hear them for a looooooonnnnnnggggggg timmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee.........

Sure after I accelerate to 45mph in like 7 seconds they are impressed but I dont enjoy having to risk my teeth just to convince people that my bike is bad-ass and they should build one.

So first I tried to polishing a turd. I figured that maybe if I spiffied up my starship then maybe people would stop staring at me like I was wearing a helmet because I rode the short bus.

(No really. . . People stare at me like I am a total douche when I am wearing my gear)

I reconfigured my packs and made a nice tight package

Slim_Pack_003.jpg3
Slim_Pack_006.jpg6
Slim_Pack_011.jpg11
Slim_Pack_014.jpg14
Slim_Pack_016.jpg16
Slim_Pack_017.jpg17

Ok, so this looked better

Trouble is that no matter where I rode I could hear the same grumbles. . .

(Why is that guy wearing all that gear on a beach cruiser? Is he “special” or something?)

So there was that. . .

Then there was the fact that in 2 months I put 760 miles on that cruiser frame and it was starting to show it. So was my back. . . No suspension what so ever.

(continued)

Hence we come to the Urban Assault Vehicle MKII

REQUIREMENTS:

Minimum 6” travel on front and rear suspension
Bad-ass downhill frame of the highest quality
Ability to smash across curbs without eating asphalt
Well under $1k !!!
8” hydraulic disk brakes
Must have rear brake
Must be comfortable
Must look bad-ass
Must have battery space

I quickly learned from others that the Kona Stinky series from pre-06' was the ticket. I ended up selecting the “Medium Kona Stinky Primo 2003”

Mayhem_019.jpg

90% of used Kona Stinky bikes are size Medium. I should have had XXL but oh well
Rear shock is a 2007 fox Vanilla R with 7” travel
Front shock is a Marz bombers with 6” travel
Hays comp brakes on the rear with juicy 3 in the front (both 6”)
Double walled rims
Shorty stem
black titec ringleader bars

So I am a big guy. . . Around 6'4 and 190lbs. Under me this thing looks like a BMX. Handles like one too =) Having this tiny little bike under me with this much suspension gives me tons of control. Really helps to offset the added weight.

First order of business will be to pain the entire frame mat black

Mayhem_021.jpg

(Continued)

So back to Project Mayhem

First step is ALWAYS a prototype. Only a chump builds anything start to finish without a proof of concept. So before paint, before wiring, before even a proper battery mount is a prototype.

I started by taking the bike in peddle form over to the jumps and hit the BMX track to make sure everything was cool. It checked out. (though I am a meat licker on the jumps)

<BMX TRACK>

Next step was to tear both bikes apart on my front lawn 30 minutes before dark

View attachment 9
MKI vs MKII

Mayhem_030.jpg
Mayhem_031.jpg
Mayhem_032.jpg

This is the same power package:

24S 2P 9Ah Lipo pack
220A continuous no problem
Holds >90V under nearly any load
190A peak launch current
220A current limit
100.8V hot off the charger
45mph top speed
43mph sustained for majority of pack
Acceleration so fierce that I have to lean forward to keep the front wheel down
Hill climbing at >35mph, any hill
Kelley 120V 220A controler (136V max, 220A current limit)
Phoenix Brute on 26” double wall
Cruise Control
Ebrakes
20amp brake regeneration
Twist throttle
and of course, ...... THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE ENTIRE BUILD. . . . THE. . . .

CYCLE ANALYST
(CA)

note: If you found this thread via Google go over to ebikes.ca and look at what they have for sale. It is called a “Cycle Analyst” and it is a MUST HAVE for any ebike. Coolest thing ever. Made very affordable by a real good guy.

Mayhem_039.jpg
Mayhem_040.jpg
Mayhem_041.jpg

Mayhem_045.jpg
Mayhem_049.jpg

Then a little bonding with the pork and beans
Mayhem_051.jpg

PROJECT MAYHEM DAY II

There is nothing like chasing pork and beans with eggs and Ketchup!
(and more sausage of course)

Mayhem_001.jpg

Ketchup goes with everything. . . Even Root beer, Raisin toast, Sweet Italian sausage, and more eggs
If you are noticing a theme. . . this is because I am building an army of space monkeys and this is what space monkey eat.

For lunch I will be having Beef Jerky and Apricots.

View attachment 1

So I took the prototype out to the skate park. Ended up on my face with a flat tire. End result is that the Continentals from the MKI are now on the MKI.

Livermore Skate Park.jpg

Then I went out to the dirt jumps

<Dirt Jumps>

Chit! These smooth-ass street wheels get no grip on the dirt! Multiply that times the fact that I dont have a rear brake and you got TROUBLE!

(Continued)

Ok, is this day 3???

I have made the following modifications: (pictures later, they are on the digi)

* Drilled rear suspension for U Brake adapter. Hooked up U Brake and it works like a charm

* Swapped out the shorty head set for something longer to push my arms out farther forward. Did not turn out that good. . . Geometry is off somehow. Will address later.

* Rotated seat post to make more of a bucket seat. Remember that I am 6'4" on a tiny little frame. . .

I put 10 AH through the pack today. Started off my commute to work by hitting some jumps in a gully. Er..... Watch out for mud!

After work I hit up the BMX Race Track and caught some serious air. Mostly caught my front tire but did catch a little air. . .

-methods

I am not sure if today is day 4 or if I did that stuff on day 3?

Anyway, ordered the following which will be here tomorrow:

8" disk
Avid Juicy pads
8" adapter

-methods

looking good. VERY good! Your old bike was cool to, f what anyone else thinks locally. Narrowmindless is not a characteristic worth trying to appease.

I'll be running a 5304 in a 24" wheel soon in my DH Team downhill bike. It I'll be interested to see how my setup compares.

~88V off the charger (~80V quite soon after)
~45A ecrazyman controller is on the way via hong kong post as we speak.

Looking at a few issues atm:
* spoke choice
* torque arms/dropouts
* getting a disc brake on the X5
* battery packaging.

Keep the details coming! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Video?

So, you're running a $700 controller? :shock: I'm jealous!

From what I have read you would have to go total custom to get a disk on the X5
Likely you would have to make it large too for clearance.
If your X5 is like mine it wobbles side to side by at least 1/4 inch. . . tough to tune that out

I put a U Brake on the back and I can lock it up at will
Who needs more brakes than that?
$10 brake
$6 adaptor
20 minutes of time

But. . . I sure would not want to dissuade you :mrgreen:
If you get it to work in a reasonable way then I will definitely follow in your footsteps.

I am working on a set of video's where I blow by the radar signs. The signs around here say SLOW DOWN! when you go more than 5mph over the speed limit. I want to do a series video where I hit

15mph
25mph
35mph
45mph

To get the 45mph to blink I will need to peddle. I have a 52 tooth gear but I need to do some mods to make it fit.
Post up a picture of your bike if you get a chance here in my thread.

This thread will be open to any downhill bike talk

-methods

Ok, here are some more pictures.

The kid I bought the bike from was a shorty and he installed a shorty.

UBrake_003.jpg

So far I dont like the change I made. I need to work on that.

Here is what the U Brake mode I did looks like:

UBrake_011.jpg
UBrake_012.jpg
UBrake_014.jpg
UBrake_015.jpg
UBrake_009.jpg

I am thinking about running a rim like this one (which is a 24" but I want to do a 26")
UBrake_004.jpg

But then my U Brake handy work would be SOL

Man. . . Looking at my crummy pictures sure does not glamorize all this :roll: Lots of times people post all these beautiful "finished product" pictures. . . . lol. . . My projects always look like they were completed under a bridge :mrgreen:

methods said:
If your X5 is like mine it wobbles side to side by at least 1/4 inch. . . tough to tune that out

Post up a picture of your bike if you get a chance here in my thread.

This thread will be open to any downhill bike talk

Wobble :shock: Will need to get the 5304 mounted to check that. I'll start off with no rear brake and a single speed freewheel to keep things simple, then build from there. (disc and multi speed cluster...)

I've got most of what I need to get the bike moving, it's those small things that hold you up (like spokes!):
DHTeam_batts copy.jpg
dh_team_5304 copy.jpg
file.php

Cheers!

Nice Build!

Seems like DEE has started something with all these Stinkys! good choice on the bike, the Stinky is a great platform for an e-bike even with the restricted triangle.

Kids can be morons, I ride a little folding bike to work and they shout all sorts of things at me, some good some bad, It does get on your nerves, I found the easiest thing was to ride listening to my MP3 player, you cant hear them and as all of my commute is on the cycle lane its not too dangerous.

I doubt you will get any stick when the Stinky is finished, Deecannios bike was the coolest machine, kids would a not notice it was electric and b if they did would simply love it should they were allowed to try it.

Keep the pictures coming and esp the videos! be careful when trying to trip the speed signs! a few motorcyclists here in the UK have done that only to be tracked down locally on just their physical appearance, you should be OK with that full face helmet and the lack of licence plates!

Good luck with the build!

Knoxie

Love the post very humorous ... like the old bike and the new, the stinky will be alot kinder on the kidneys no doubt, i always wonder how the guys here can bear no rear suspension :-S Anywayz, i have a couple questions regarding your batteries. Curious as to the brand and the range your getting per charge(without pedaling)... Look forward to seeing the finial version ...

AussieJester said:
i have a couple questions regarding your batteries. Curious as to the brand and the range your getting per charge(without pedaling)... Look forward to seeing the finial version ...

I use Zippy R brand Lipo
6S 4800mah 25C

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7237
My price is slightly lower that what you see. About $100

Total pack weight is around 13lbs

I can not give you actual range value because I have never run the pack down past 7Ah
I can tell you this: sort of subjective notes

With 9Ah of battery I generally stay above 90V under load
Above 95V on the first part of the pack
I have gone over 25 miles on half of a pack
Longest day I went around 35 miles for 7Ah
Aggressive riding may only get me 10mi for 7Ah

When it comes to raw power, power to weight, and cost, Lipo takes the cake. 9Ah 25C batteries leave one with a lot of head room.

-methods

TylerDurden said:
Mo'-demlee a 40 for the brakejob, and another TWO for the badasstliness of the mayhem. :twisted:

file.php
file.php
file.php

After the fact I was searching for my thread via "Urban Assault" and I saw your machine from back in 2005. Bad-arse!

I am going to create something between your bikes, and these bikes:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5392&p=81209&hilit=+some+of+my+favorites#p81209

I love the grungy hardcore look.

-methods

voicecoils said:
Wobble :shock: Will need to get the 5304 mounted to check that.

Yes. The X5 has a big wobble from side to side. It may not necessarily wobble while spinning, as it sets into a groove, but if you go up to an X5 and shake the rear wheel it will move side to side like a broken coaster brake.

Search around, there is a Stinky thread where he puts a disk on one of the smaller hubs and experiences noise from the wobble. For the X5 you will have negative clearance so you would have to go farther out on the rotor which will accentuate the wobble.

For someone with machining skills, not problem. For a tool like me? er........ I like to fix things with hot glue, duct tape, a mig welder, and an angle grinder. Anything more precision than that and I have to send out.

-methods

I feel you, having a cool looking ride is important too. A lesson more of us here could stand to learn.. the frame swap should do it.

It will look a lot better after I paint it black, add my " laid back gangster seat", and bust out with the 3" dirt bike tires.

Performance is amazing!
I have been riding standing up to and from work hitting every urban obstacle I can find. Curbs, dirt lots, gullies, drainage, parks. . . I can now hit my front lawn at 30mph, slam on the brakes, and slide right into my front door =) My wife loves all the skid marks in the entry way. :roll:

Every day when I come home from work my wife is sitting on the front lawn playing with the cats. I make it a point to motocross the yard 3 or 4 times kicking up dirt and grass just to prove my masculinity. Predictably she is not impressed.

I am going to put in a new lawn next year so what the hell.

-methods

can it climb stairs?

HELL YEA it will climb stairs

Sounds like a challenge. . .

How many? How steep? How fast?
I am making a video tonight. . .

Project Mayhem Homework Assignment: :!: ONE :!:

"Gentlemen, tonight each of you will be given a homework assignment. . . You will find a set of stairs and you will climb them".

methods said:
I make it a point to motocross the yard 3 or 4 times kicking up dirt and grass just to prove my masculinity. Predictably she is not impressed.

hehehehe wiminez...they just have no sense of humor do they bud :: sigh ::

Look forward to seeing your 'assignment' ;)

Wow.. I will wait to see that vid! :twisted:

Mine climb any stair.. but WITHOUT ME ON IT!!

On the Rivière St-Charles cycling path, theire is a stair that i need to climb to continu.. and I like the sound of the spinning wheel on any wood stairs.... and sometime the smoke due to friction.. :twisted:

Methods, your new project look nice!.. you will discover the dirt bike experience in the forest like me!.. they are my prefered rides!

Doc

If that can help, I may have some good trick for you !

Due to the wobble i had too with my X5 when installing disk brakes, I decided to re-face the ext side of my disk brake adaptor to make the disk to stay aligned and not to wobble like the motor.

What i did: I re-faced the surface of the adaptor DIRECTLY ON THE BIKE while the motor ran!

I took a hard cutting tool and machined it to make it perfectly perpendicular to the axel!.. there is no better way! that ensure you that the disk brake will stay exactly aligned with the axel !

My motor turned into a CNC machine 8)

Results... PERFECT!

Doc

Back