The totally awesome electric RECUMBENT photo thread!!

Alrighty, you asked for it. ;)

CrazyBike2:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12500
early version
file.php

more recent, nearly how it is now (ignore the dog food cargo strapped on it in various places)
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

with a trailer full of stuff
file.php

SB Cruiser:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67833
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Delta Tripper:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22720
file.php

file.php

file.php

cwah said:
Looks like the solar panels can be dragging a lot of wind and make you slower?
Actually the exact opposite. The panel is no bigger than my body and since it's a flat surface it deflects the wind quite nicely around me.
Since mounting the panel, my cruising speed (40kph) watts usage has dropped 50-100W from the aerodynamic improvement. :)

Cheers

Cowardlyduck said:
cwah said:
Looks like the solar panels can be dragging a lot of wind and make you slower?
Actually the exact opposite. The panel is no bigger than my body and since it's a flat surface it deflects the wind quite nicely around me.
Since mounting the panel, my cruising speed (40kph) watts usage has dropped 50-100W from the aerodynamic improvement. :)

Like a mini-fairing

alive 42k.jpg

My trike here is still going strong. I would not want to ride this in the city but out where I live in the country its fun. I have a 5 mile ride into the little town by me on a twisty country road that I often enjoy riding. I have a little BOB trailer that I pull behind it for grocery getting as well. I have a 52 tooth ring up on the front so no problem keeping up to and helping the little motor at 30mph.

I am still amazed at these little mac motors and the 50 volt 18650 packs from cellman, they are great value. I have pretty much the same set up on my mountain bike as well and the two bikes give me very little trouble and tons of fun.

I have built several. Here are the latest. I'm currently working on building a small 44V x 10Ah 18650 battery for the E-Bent.

E-bent
cuda_e_2015.jpg

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/e-bent/rc_drive/default.htm
https://youtu.be/S8hMRKZ43es

Chopper
Img_1318.jpg

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/chopper/default.htm

-Warren.

www.recumbents.com said:
I have built several. Here are the latest. I'm currently working on building a small 44V x 10Ah 18650 battery for the E-Bent.

E-bent

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/e-bent/rc_drive/default.htm
https://youtu.be/S8hMRKZ43es

Chopper

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/chopper/default.htm

-Warren.

Now THERE'S a cool chopper. I love the laid back look you maintained even with DH front suspension on it!

Batmobile on holidays

Attachments

• recumbent.JPG
    recumbent.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 3,953
oh you like? :)

Attachments

• recumbent1.JPG
    recumbent1.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 3,941
  • recumb2.JPG
    recumb2.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 3,941
  • recumb4.JPG
    recumb4.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,941
Yes built by Kamil from velokraft.. top was cut off, we have summer heatwave here :)

Yes built by Kamil from velokraft.. top was cut off, we have summer heatwave here :)

Hi Guys,

I’ve been meaning to get something up in “The Sphere” for awhile. I’ve been observing for ever and have had a few helpful bits of advice from Justin so I figure it’s time to share what I’ve learned.

20150530_124817.jpgDSC_1956.jpgDSC_1957.jpg

My bike:
It’s a long-wheelbase recumbent bike/motorbike built from scratch. This is version 3.2

The fork and front wheel is from a cheep pocket bike (an X18).

The back wheel is a Crystalite Crown 100 in a 24” rim, running on 72 volt with a Lyen 18 fet controller and Cycleanylist V3.

Batteries are 24 GBS 20 AH cells with GBS’s simple shunt based BMS. After charging my resting voltage is 81.5. Depending on how I ride I can usually get to 70 KM on a charge(I’m very exited to switch to a new high output 18650 based setup as soon as I can afford it).

Human energy goes via a Rolhoff 14 speed hub back to a single speed freewheel on the Crown.

I’m using a remote steer via pushrod and understeer configuration.

Frame is aluminum, other parts are plywood, foam and Carbon fibre.

The fairing is a Windwrap LWB. It pivots up and out of the way to get on and off.

Top speed is 83 KM on the flat, but I rarely go that fast unless I want to burn a whole bunch of battery quickly.

Observations:
I’ve been riding it in this configuration since November of 2014. So far I’ve put about 3100 Km on it. If I stay within bike legal limits of about 1000 watts and 32 kph I can get as much as 80 km range. But I usually ride it a 2500W and a top speed of 45kph. That seems to be it’s sweet spot where I feel like I’m getting somewhere and do not attract too much attention. As I keep the speed low most of the time and it has pedals, I've so far been able to pass for a recumbent bicycle and have not had to register it. (I do have lights and signals though). I think that when cops see anything recumbent go by they just think "there goes another of those weird recumbent bike fools, better not stop him he'll bore me to death with talk of superior drag coefficients..."
The basic concept is a recumbent motorbike that you can pedal if you feel like it, I find that I set the speed with the throttle and match my pedaling to it with the Rohloff (love the cruise control on the V3 for this reason.

My head is at about 48 inches off of the ground while riding, which makes for good visibility, I can see and be seen. I’m convinced that this is one of the best reasons to stick with two wheels instead of a trike configuration. If I tried to make a trike that high, I would have a terrible center of gravity and huge wind resistance. But with a two-wheeler these are not issues. Despite that height my frontal area is quite small. A note, when I put the fairing on, my efficiency at speeds over 40kph went noticeably up. On the same flat stretch of road I could go 40 kph using 1000W instead of 1300W

It handles great at all speeds, and is surprisingly stable at 80 kph. It is also very comfortable and easy to get on and off of. I notice that if I lift my back off of the seatback it handles a lot like skiing, in that you move the bike beneath you while pivoting at the hips and your upper body stays vertical. The head angle is too steep though, I will change that on the next version.

The under steer configuration is (in my opinion) the only way for long-wheelbase bikes. It allows for easy on-and-off, does not have an impaling issue, is super comfortable, and eliminates the whole issue of handlebar placement vs pedaling that haunts long-wheelbase recumbents.

With the fairing and back cargo pod It does present a large side area to crosswinds, but I find it is stable and heavy enough to handle everything I’ve encountered so far.

It is a great highway machine but also quite nimble in the city. I have the power to take a lane in traffic, and as most city traffic rarely gets above 40 kph where I live, I haven’t attracted any unwanted attention (fingers crossed). I've set it up to carry kids and cargo, and use it around town quite a bit. I get a lot of comments but few people understand what it actually is.

An electric recumbent solves some inherent issues with recumbents and electric bikes. The ability to start up under electric power and then sort your pedaling out makes starting up easier, and the recumbent position allows for all of the battery weight and bulk to be kept super low. I have about 25 litres of usable battery space that is 8 inches off of the ground.

The Crown is far more powerful than I usually need, but I guess when I get some batteries with a lot more jam it will be nice. And I never have to worry that I am overpowering it. My next build will use a smaller diameter back wheel as I’d rather have the torque than the top speed.

I did crash it this summer, and it went down very nicely. I slid out on some gravel at about 40 kph. I got a good bit of road rash on my thigh and forearm but otherwise the crash was pretty manageable. I think it is kind of obvious that as we get up to these speeds we need to invest in motorcycle style protection. It is also inescapable that recumbent position bikes do not handle gravel the same or nearly as well as upright bikes. That combined with the head-whipping issues of a recumbent makes them completely unsuitable for off-road.

This bike uses the human energy directly via Rohloff transmission and chain, but my previous version used a separate generator system that took the human energy and put it into the system as electricity. It was less efficient, but very nice to use, one could pedal at a constant cadence regardless of speed or terrain (or while stopped). It also greatly simplifies the chain-line issues of getting pedaling energy to the back wheel. My concept is this: if you are sitting around on electric vehicle you might as well get some exercise.

Intended Changes:
I’ve taken this frame about as far as I intend to design wise, and learned a lot. My next frame will have:
Lower stand-over height
A pedal-to-generator system
A smaller back wheel.
A Sine Wave controller

I’m looking forward to hearing back from the community, thanks in advance for your advice/observations.

Nice home build. Thanks for sharing. I am curious are you the Tig Cross that had property on Hornby Island and let hosted the Trials comps in your barn? My family used to love coming over that way for the anual event. I somehow remember the fellows name was Tig Cross but I never did get to meet him. If its you, Thanks for that............wayne

waynebergman said:
Nice home build. Thanks for sharing. I am curious are you the Tig Cross that had property on Hornby Island and let hosted the Trials comps in your barn? My family used to love coming over that way for the anual event. I somehow remember the fellows name was Tig Cross but I never did get to meet him. If its you, Thanks for that............wayne

Hey Wayne, Yep that was me. Good times.

Back