Drew12345 Alpha Flux, Max-E, MXUS 4T

drew12345

10 kW
Time to start a build thread for my new Alpha Flux from Hyena. Here are first pics of frame. This is my first ebike frame.

The build will have:
Moped 18 rear wheel with MXUS 4T vented (by roadrash)
24" 20mm front wheel (by roadrash)
18650 25r Battery 84v (by crzymotor)
DNM 8-USD 203 mm fork (from amazon)
DNM Rear Shock 220mm 550 lb (from ebay)

I'm on a budget so rest of stuff is coming from my other bike and will upgrade later:
Cycle Analyst v3 (from ebikes.ca)
Lyen 18fet (from lyen.com)
...and rest of misc stuff

IMG_9312_r.jpg

IMG_9313_r.jpg

Here are the wheels I just got today. The rear wheel is a moped 18x1.6 with Shinko 241 tire. It has a MXUS 4t vented. This is my first moped tire. The front is regular mtb 24" rim with 20mm hub. Will upload more pics tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442107402.236711.jpg

And the battery by crzymotor is Samsung 18650 25r 84v 20s 15ah cells. Will upload more pics tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442107450.520543.jpg

I had trouble getting the swing arm on. I had to not only sand down the paint but a little bit of the metal as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442147667.019188.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442147684.852264.jpg

I did this post in another thread a couple weeks ago when I installed rear shock. After installing, I noticed there was space around washers. I added some washers from hardware store. Hope it works out ok. Also, since I posted this, I reversed the shock because it was hitting seat brace.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442147745.352253.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442147758.221847.jpg

Thanks Tom! Made some progress mounting the wheels. The moped wheel fit perfect in frame. Will upload pic tomorrow.

Thanks Rod. Here is pic of wheels on. Since this pic, I have lowered the rear shock to lowest bolt settings, added pedals, and added longer stem.

Next up is lower seat and brakes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442239978.003222.jpg

Got the brakes installed. Yes, I'm still using cables. I just love the bb7s. But will see how it goes.

When installing rear rotor, I had to add double washers to get it aligned right. Then I had to get longer rotor bolts because of this. But it's all good now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442339256.449621.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442339226.401321.jpg

One other minor thing. I had to add another washer next to cassette because cassette was rubbing frame. Not sure if u can see in photo.

Next up is the derailleur and chain and ride around and see what adjustments are needed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442339651.434250.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442339570.665524.jpg

Nice build, very similar to both mine, except I'm running a 19" rear to better match the tyre diameters and running a 50mm wide front rim for a bit of sand work.

Two washers per side on the mxus fits the slightly wider dropout width of the Flux Alpha frame pretty nice I have found.

Thanks Sam. Sounds like fun riding through the sand. I love watching videos where people riding EBikes on the beach.

I'll check out your threads and see what improvements I can make on mine.

So hooked up cheapo derailleur today. I realized the new chain I bought is not long enough. Never ran into this before. I guess it's a longer frame. Anyway, ordered another chain and will link them together. For now, using smaller chainring. I will replace the cheap derailleur soon

So rode it around in front of my house. Lot of bobbing and realized afterwards I had it on softest setting. So adjusted and will ride again tomorrow. What I do like is the big suspension. I feel like I can go over some serious stuff. Can't wait to try on trail.

Next up is electric stuff. Will put connectors on and hook things up and see if all works before installing on bike.

Good to see another flux build ticking along nicely, good work. I kinda wish I went the same way you did for my battery, I went with multistar lipo. Apart from that our bikes are very similar. I have only had 2 rides on mine with power so far but I can tell already it's gonna be a keeper :mrgreen: good luck with the next stage of the build.

Looks fantastic.
If I may - If I had such frame I would invest more on a decent DH fork...
You had no idea how big is the difference between a good suspension fork to some of the low-end models.

I have a question please; Why 'vented' MXUS? the visible copper wires isn't a problem with contact with water...?

IanM said:
Good to see another flux build ticking along nicely, good work. I kinda wish I went the same way you did for my battery, I went with multistar lipo. Apart from that our bikes are very similar. I have only had 2 rides on mine with power so far but I can tell already it's gonna be a keeper :mrgreen: good luck with the next stage of the build.

Hey Ian. Yeah, good to see your build coming along. You work quick :) I've been using lipo's for past couple years and can't beat the value. It's just the safety issue thing that I made the switch. It's a more expensive route though. I'm hoping to have it running under power in a week or sooner. The electric part is where I lack experience so may run into issues.

Hertzelz said:
Looks fantastic.
If I may - If I had such frame I would invest more on a decent DH fork...
You had no idea how big is the difference between a good suspension fork to some of the low-end models.

I have a question please; Why 'vented' MXUS? the visible copper wires isn't a problem with contact with water...?

I totally agree. It just came down to cost. I plan on upgrading both front and rear along with several other cheap components on the bike.

Re: vented, I don't ride in the rain or when too wet out. My current bike has vented also and runs much better vented. I don't worry about puddles. The motor is hot enough to evaporate it. And ride on trail all the time and never had issue with any damage from rocks or dust. It's worth it.

Hooked up electronics for first time. All seems to work! I'm always shocked when it works when involving connectors and soldering. I suck so bad at soldering. I'm using my old em3ev 14s battery as a test. Will try out my main battery maybe tonight or tomorrow. I want to get the pinch bolts installed properly first.

[youtube]1isB9dZqTBs[/youtube]

Envious of this one mate. :mrgreen:

Yeah I suck at soldering too. Had about 5 sessions to do my harness over the last few weeks and just kept giving up. I was suspecting the iron is not transferring the heat and went and tested my dads old one bang everything heats up instantly.... So I am blaming my tools too!

I reckon you are going to pee your pants when you ride this the first time. NO weight on the back, big suspension.

I'm digging those black spokes...

And I too am not a good solderer. I have generally given up on most soldering irons and just jet butane torches when I can. Sometimes I am forced to drag out the soldering iron for the small stuff but try to avoid it. One of these days, I will skip the cheap and mid-price soldering irons. I could have bought a nice one for all the money I have spent on garbage and mediocre irons.

Back