Solar Muscle Electric Project - possible goal: Suntrip 2018

Show off your E-bike creation here.
usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Solar Muscle Electric Project - possible goal: Suntrip 2018

Post by usertogo » Nov 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Hi Folks!
I have been inactive in the forum pending decent Internet, and now I got that and can upload progress reports.
Since Mai 2014 I really physically committed to the project when I bought a first trike (tadpole) to be used as a development and experimentation platform. I needed to get a feel for these types of vehicles and I needed an affordable entry. Of course I had heard about that first SunTrip 2013 ( Sun Trip 2013 : the movie! https://vimeo.com/103885490 ) And figured I might make it till 2017 and should use the motivation regardless if I am accepted (to my knowledge no German contender has yet participated or been accepted to participate in this race). I am a bit of a nomad at heart so this type of vehicle will be an asset and provide an opportunity to enter a great long distance travel adventure even if I had to go alone!

So I will reserve some empty post like is custom to fill in the news and invite people to share and cheer - whatever helps to fulfill dreams and prove that there is a sustainable way! Thanks for participating!
:D
Last edited by usertogo on Nov 13, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Re: Solar Muscle Electric Project - possible goal: Suntrip 2

Post by usertogo » Nov 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Here will be place to add pictures of what I have 'accomplished' so far...
DSC_2385.jpeg
How to ad pictures?
Can you see the way the rear shock is going to be leveraged giving the rear swing more travel and less hardness
DSC_2388.jpeg
rear
The rear was electrified first last winter (to Spring 2015~) Its limit is that the frame was too small for anything bigger than the smallest 26x1.125 tire
DSC_2382.jpeg
Tire Considerations
I like the 3.0x19 (tire and rim ~ 5kg) and the 90/90x21 (tire and rim >6kg)(, but realistically while I have the regular width Crystalite I may have to stick with a narrower tire like that 26x2.35 'Fat Frank' with its ridiculous thread
DSC_2391.jpeg
Luggage Rack top view
Top view of the luggage rack which right now still sits on the wheel axis and soon will have to have its own supports to the frame...
DSC_2360.jpeg
Rear Swingarm
So this is just the beginning and I am wondering how far the swing arms axis with its play and lack of real bushing will get...
Last edited by usertogo on Nov 24, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Nov 23, 2015 5:29 pm

Ok and I guess there will have to be more reserves to serve as a shortcut to the latest progress on the project

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Nov 23, 2015 5:40 pm

Like the fact that while i thought in 2014 that a trike is the best way to go because it is inherently standing on 3 legs and wont (on even ground) just tip over damaging the solar panels (sunroof).
By now inspired by the 2015 SunTrip winner ( Trailer 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMRijKs-IcM - The winner extensive shots of the 2015 winniner and vehicle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCT2BIx_iXs ) I will aim to also build an inline (2 wheel) recumbent bike! But the trike idea and possibly even a leaning trike is not completely on ice!

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Nov 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Last reserve: what I might need / how you can help me (other than cheering me up occasionally):
Currently I am mainly financing the endevour by selling stuff on ebay! You can help me by promoting my offers or purchasing from me: http://www.ebay.de/sch/tog0123/m.html?_ ... pg=&_from=

Jonathan in Hiram
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Jonathan in Hiram » Dec 07, 2015 1:33 pm

The video of the winner was impressive, I've been trying to decide where to put my solar panel on my recumbent bike, maybe overhead is a better option than I had thought. Thanks for sharing that video, it gave me some ideas.

Good luck with your build, do you have motor/batteries and so on picked out yet?
"Any sufficiently developed magic is indistinguishable from technology" -Agatha Heterodyne
"Sometimes I get tired just smilin' " -The Checkered Demon
My recumbent "Grocery Getter" https://endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... =6&t=57678

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Dec 14, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks for your interest Jonathan! Yes the Suntrip winner has done some things right! The winner from 2013 who was competing again didn't stand a chance!
Low center of gravity, low wind resistance and shade how can you not adopt these advantages?

As far as my plans go I might have a direct drive hub motor in the front for regenerative braking and high speeds and a geared hub motor in the back for higher torque up the hills!
I am currently building a 360 cell (24S15P) LiFePO4 pack, I'll attach some pictures
DSC_2453.jpeg
Tin plating the contacts to solder copper strips as bus
but I might also start another thread because of the added value of the battery evaluator circuit I am developing in the process.
DSC_2450.jpeg
The battery evaluator as far as I got it now...
It helped me to sort the batteries to have the best performing ones in the center of the pack where they will have the least heat production (I hope). Actually a challenge one could take to finite elements modeling and all. Anyhow I am building a somewhat conventional pack so far not withe the more revolutionary ideas I outlined here: https://prezi.com/qibqej3sqqy1/open-source-battery/

Jonathan in Hiram
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Jonathan in Hiram » Dec 14, 2015 6:12 pm

I looked as closely as I could at the winner, there is no hub motor on it at all, front or rear, it must be running on a mid drive. Each drive system is extra weight to carry so I can see why a mid drive could be the way to go.

He does use a guy system to keep his solar array in place, I managed to grab this shot from one of the videos, you can see one of the guy wires piercing the fairing at upper right. He has by far the most solar array and one of the lowest drag setups of all the competitors, it's not a surprise that he won the competition.

"Any sufficiently developed magic is indistinguishable from technology" -Agatha Heterodyne
My recumbent "Grocery Getter" https://endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... =6&t=57678

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Dec 15, 2015 11:07 am

Makes sense for his setup! For his tiny racing tires he cant have much 'unsprung weight'! That is exactly why I am betting on bulky but very hard pumped motorcycle tires!
I have purchased quite a spectrum in different sizes to get a feel for them! After all I am going to build several different variations (leaning Trike and Inline) I am kind of looking forward to weld the frame out of aluminum using these cool 300 deg C solder mixes! I already got a big old torch but first experiments with Chinese alu solder proved that the thermal conduction of aluminum profiles is even making 300 deg a challenge! I need to try the hungarian compound you can find on Ebay - they make it look so easy!

I also am very inspired by the swincar (follow me on Twitter also @usertogo to see what other info I get lucky with ;) inventions: Prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30R7kKu5Czo and Street https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIaJNEmTpJY Spider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FbW_kVYcl0
Frankly it blows my young mind to see that level of progress from one company!
There is much still to be invented For sure they totally lack a solar sunroof or the muscle/gravity contribution!

Also I am sure shortly we will see companies offering aftermarket solar hoods and trunks for available EV! It calculates better by the hour how quickly these features will pay for themselves!
There is lots of good fun to be had keeping ones brain on the pulse of clean transport!

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Dec 16, 2015 9:44 pm

Today more of the Sunpower Maxeon Solar cells arrived curiously sporting a 'Scrap' sticker on the original 150pc. pack:
DSC_2465.jpeg
What does it mean???

Jonathan in Hiram
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Jonathan in Hiram » Dec 17, 2015 7:16 pm

I knew I'd seen another recumbent with solar panels overhead..

Cephalotus
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Cephalotus » Dec 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi,

like your idea and I'm waiting for updates. Thought about participating in the 2017 race, too, but girlfriend has little motivation and it would take almost all of my 2017 holiday days.

You know that there are technical rules for Thesuntrip races?

http://thesuntrip.com/technical-informations/

----

I want to built a solar trailer in 2017, too...

If you use Sunpower cells be preperad for micro cracks.

This is a new(!) semi flexible module with Sunpower cells viewed under IR. electrical parameters ars still ok. You can not see anything with the normal eye.

I use a cheap modified Sony R717 camera for that pictures...

I strongly suggest testing your cells and modules for micro cracks...

Cephalotus
1 kW
1 kW

Post by Cephalotus » Dec 11, 2016 6:42 pm

Jonathan in Hiram wrote:I looked as closely as I could at the winner, there is no hub motor on it at all, front or rear, it must be running on a mid drive.
There is a modified "hub motor" below the pedals. It's used as a mid drive.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Cephalotus wrote:If you use Sunpower cells be preperad for micro cracks.

This is a new(!) semi flexible module with Sunpower cells viewed under IR. electrical parameters ars still ok. You can not see anything with the normal eye.
If Usertogo's look like that, I guess that might explain the "Scrap" notation on the box label?

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Nov 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Cephalotus wrote:Hi,

like your idea and I'm waiting for updates. Thought about participating in the 2017 race, too, but girlfriend has little motivation and it would take almost all of my 2017 holiday days.
Good thing there was no big race in 2017, but the announcement for the 2018 race is the bomb - 12000km from Lyon to Canton!
I have been building and trying new things (sorry for not updating anything for a long time here)
I still haven't build solar panels nor tested the individual cells I have. For one because I have not found the glues that satisfy my requirements. I was told the solar encapsulants that are available would not adhere well to polycarbonate, and a special silicon I fond that is made for bonding polycarbonate can supposedly not do surfaces without ventilation, so I am still considering the option to buy ready made panels which are probably made with EVA sheets. Since I need better finances anyway to be able to participate I created a Patreon presence: https://www.patreon.com/SunTripToGo and I am considering to try a crowd funding campaign too!
I am in communication with the Sun Trip organizers and try to build on the current fat bike prototype within the limits of their race rules (max. 1100Wh 48V battery max 45 km/h support, max 2m^2 Exposed Solar Array etc)
Lets look at the last two prototypes:
IMG_20171024_154720ST2018web.jpg
Trike and Fat Bike Prototypes
IMG_20171024_154803ST2018web.jpg
inc. Sun Trip 2018 Promo

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Post by usertogo » Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm

Cephalotus wrote:Hi,

I want to built a solar trailer in 2017, too...
I did that too, just because I had those panels and was made aware of the 'Carla Cargo' design style.
Here my implementation still not finished:
20170826_134018VCwebS.jpg
The trike this summer with 240W of old style (heavy) glass panels

usertogo
100 mW
100 mW

Re: Solar Muscle Electric Project - possible goal: Suntrip 2018

Post by usertogo » Dec 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Very exciting to have received the front direct drive hub motor for 60 to 96V!
First time ever I might try running a higher voltage motor on a lower battery supply.
By rules of the competition you are only allowed a 48V system - building a 14s I hope that counts...
I could try a boost converter before the controller, but I read that the Sun Trip permits support is only up to 45km/h, so that might be superfluous? Now how to get an affordable controller that does the regenerative braking I would want?
IMG_20171212_131134FatTireVsMotor.jpg
Comparing 10" Fat Tire to 12" Motor
IMG_20171209_121326Motor1500.jpg
90/90 12" on 1500W Hub Motor
This is where I got it way to go Kevin! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/60V-96v ... 0.0.SAdIza

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Re: Solar Muscle Electric Project - possible goal: Suntrip 2018

Post by amberwolf » Dec 13, 2017 1:43 am

usertogo wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 6:03 pm
Very exciting to have received the front direct drive hub motor for 60 to 96V!
First time ever I might try running a higher voltage motor on a lower battery supply.
By rules of the competition you are only allowed a 48V system - building a 14s I hope that counts...
Just keep in mind a motor wound for a certain speed at 96V will only reach half that speed at 48v.