Andrew's NYX carbon frame + cromotor. full fat build log

brumbrum

100 kW
:D :D :D :D ************+***********ALL PHOTOS ARE NOW ON PAGE 4***********+*************** :D :D :D :D
NYX Carbon frame/cromotor build log.

I am stepping into new territory, up until now i have built a number bikes with small motors for commuting with the most powerful setup being a magic pie in a full suspension mtb frame for playing in the woods, but this has been handicapped by having limited battery space and amp hour. So i thought it was time to get serious and spent all my hard earned savings on an ebike frame and full fat motor.
The frame has just landed here in wet and windy Wales coming from the land of the Maple, and what a work of art it is......
As i type this, I am still waiting on a headset and freewheel to arrive but most other things needed for the build are at hand. Not sure what size rear shock to get yet. As this will have a big impact on the geometry and performance of the bike i am leaving it until the rest of the bike is done so i can get a better judgement on length.

The cro is said to weigh 11kg
In the moto rim with spokes it weighed 13.3kg
With the tyre and inner tube and air 16.6kg

so far, so pretty!!

Spray a bit of Windex on the tire when mounting...evaporates away and helps as a lube!

Sean9002 said:
so far, so pretty!!

Spray a bit of Windex on the tire when mounting...evaporates away and helps as a lube!

Funnily enough i only remembered to lube right near the end - when it was needed. Some soapy water definitly helped and a heat gun to soften the rubber a little. Investing in a cheap long tyre lever takes the pain and frustration out of the equation for sure.

I had a play around yesterday mounting the motor onto the frame and had the same age old issues of......
Wires too close to the moving disc rotor
Not enough clearance for the brake calliper mount
Disc rotor bolts being too long for the cromotor threaded holes - this in particular drove me loopy! As adding a spacer behind the rotor meant even less space for the brake mount. Tried cutting down the tiny bolts and made a hash of it. Went to a local bike shop and they had no shorter bolts. In the end i found some from an old build in a draw full of bits, these had large allen heads which caused even more clearance issiues for the wires coming out of the cro. I then stripped one of the allen heads :evil: eventually got it back out. Tried another bolt (a star headed one this time) in the cro to see if it was short enough and it stripped too and got stuck in the cro which led to 30 minutes of sawing, swearing, shouting.... Eventuallly brute force with some pliers enabled me to get the bolt back out.
In short, as usual, to get a rear disc brake mounted means lots of trial and error and repositioning of parts, and it looks like i will have to be quite creative channelling the exit route of the fat cro wire bundle.

I have to be careful not to stretch the rear swingarm too much for axle mount as it is a concentric bottom bracket.

Jonboy said:
Looks mint!! "Big Guy" :lol: If you get the head set in or plan on doing an hour on it over the weekend gis a shout, if I can I'll bomb down & muck in ..

Just want to perv on the carbon really !!! :p

quick edit: Arghh.. no probs with the crank fitting then, are all the rings still on?

Hiya Jon, a helping hand is always appreciated , the headset has not arrived :cry: and there have been many more woes with the build, i took the whole thing apart this evening to start again due to continuing issues with the rear brake fitment. The new cromotor disc rotor mount face (that you pointed out was different to yours) will not allow the hope rotor to sit flush. I thought i had a warped rotor as i pained to align everything up to get the rear brake to work. After continued filing of the mount adapter bracket, filing the caliper mount holes, trying numerous other things, i took it all apart to check the rotor on a normal bike wheel and it was perfectly 'true' and not warped at all. I will try and purchase anew rotor tomorrow.
The mount bracket has been raped of most of its aluminium and the mount is now worringly thin lol. I have started considering filing the face of the IS mount on the frame itself to gain a couple of millimetres....... Any idea where there might be a machine/metal working shop where i could get that done??

I also cut my chian too sort today.. Dooh, and i will also need a chain tensioner as the bolt on chain tensioners supplied with the frame cannot be used as the cromotor wires are in the way. If the wires of the cro exited through the end of the axle then the tensioners could be used but they do not.

So all in all, i am back to where i started.... Nothing done, and still a brake clearance issue. :|

the chain ring. I took the large ring off and put on the black bash ring you see in the photo above. The smallest ring is also unbolt-able so eventually i will put an inner bash ring on too and just use the middle 32t ring to make a 'bashwich' :lol:

Jonboy said:
Chill bro.. i'm sure the brake issue is a pig.. deep breath! new day 2moz I may be able to help with the machining :wink:

Yep, had enough for now! I would be a very happy bunny if i could get the brake mount on the frame faced, that would solve everything!

For those interested...

Spare hall wires on the cro matched with a lyens controller, colours are as follows...

Cromotor/controller
Brown to black
Orange to red
Grey to yellow
Purple to green
White to blue

Pulls at little over 2 amp unloaded at WOT

Gotta love those mudhugger rear guards. Smart design and functional, surely more durable than crud racer equivalents.

Wait, was that mudguard envy?!! :oops:

Lurkin said:
Gotta love those mudhugger rear guards. Smart design and functional, surely more durable than crud racer equivalents.

Wait, was that mudguard envy?!! :oops:

Yeah, well recognised, the mudhugger has done its job well since on my last bike. I highly recommend them. Surprisingly secure using some zip ties.

Hey Jonboy we have the same house shoes.

20aqiax.jpg

I cannot believe i've had my build thread hijacked with pictures of christmas slippers :roll:

I Went for a test drive today and flipped the bike! It shaved a whole inch off the tail of my mud guard.. Lol thankfully it wasn't an inch off my chin. my throttle is very twitchy at present.

Back