New member, first build

in2bikes

1 µW
Hey guys, I just joined up today and thought I'd share my story. I got into building/restoring bikes about 12 years ago and am now building my first electric bike. My friend Matt (1000w) will be helping me with the build as he has kindly offered and I will need all the help and advise I can get. I started off buying an old Micargi cruiser in May this year and at the moment it is being built into a bike with all the new/restored parts. I will be running a front hub motor and the battery will be living in a rear motorcycle style pannier bag off the rear seat stay. Anyway here is a pic of the bike as purchased and a pic of the wheel/tyre combo (I'll be running a nexus 8 speed rear). I'll post some more pics when the bike is built and then the final pics when the electrics are done. The frame, guards and chain guard have a new colour, the fork re-chromed and different bars and seat should finished it off nicely. I didn't want to do anything too radical for my first build and I would like to build a rear hub bike for the next build but I'll finish this first :)

Attachments

• IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 2,758
  • IMG_2423.JPG
    IMG_2423.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 2,758
[Insert Like/Thumb Up here] :) Black not my first choice re visibility. Assume lots of lights and reflectors in your budget. Carry On! :)

(Also helps to know what part of the world you are in re legalities, terrains, etc.)

in2bikes said:
I'm in Perth!
Bike's new colour is Heritage Burgundy colour, its not too bad

`Kay! (Not to be confused with Perth in Scotland. And we got a Perth too... in Ontario, Canada. :) )

So. No travels up the Darling Scarp, right? Hehe...

So travels on flat lands on the coastal plane. (Just the way ebikers like it. Hehe)

Yah. Burgundy better. Hopefully will add lots of shiny reflective bits. :)

I'm currently rolling via recumbent trike. Flying long flappy yellow streamers from tall-ish rod/pole for visibility. Have been thinking to go with friction drive on front tire, but today rethinking... now maybe to add a plate/disk on front wheel on which to mount a bike chain, then spin this via BLDC motor 9 tooth gear. (Single caliper brake on front wheel gets in the way, otherwise.)

Front wheel doesn't turn left/right as "normal". (Instead, steers by two back wheels turning left/right.) So wheel/motor connection may be do-able. TBA.

:)

LockH said:
`Kay! (Not to be confused with Perth in Scotland. And we got a Perth too... in Ontario, Canada. :) )
:)

Not confusing at all LockH thats why it says "Western Australia" on in2bikes Location. Pretty specific.

Welcome in2bikes I think you will get lots help and advice here. Heads up, Old Mate has a few roos loose.

Nice bike, needs a kick arse headlight.

Heads up. "Moxbike" may be a "twit". ("Loser", etc.)

Lockh!?!?!?

e-biker said:
Lockh!?!?!?

Hehe... Sorry. Just that I've been hanging `round these online forums for years and years. And others have said here already that they'd "never known me to be rude" (something like that). EVen had a few ES Denisons send me a card and some $$$ w/Get Well wishes when my life sorta fell apart a couple of years ago. Then along comes someone on ES who chooses to make some disparaging remark or other about me? And not the first time either? (I'd already pointed out they'd finally made my "Ignore List" ... the first and only person on ES to EVer "earn this distinction".

And now they show up in some other/new thread here. (One might suggest they are desperate for attention or something?)

And for a time I EVen ran a dial up "BBS". (Back in the day where fellow "Sysops" - system operators - would discuss whether to let folks still connect at 300 bps (!!! A modem speeds climbed to 1200bps, then 2400... 9600...14,400)). So the point I like to make to "noobs" is to never fault the writer but to question some specific point they perhaps "have a problem with". Personally, I *love* it when someone else does point out some error or other I have made. Can elaborate/etc. I can't hope to compete w/the depth and breadth of EV knowledge here on ES. I figure it's important only to learn from ones mistakes. ;) (And if ya don't make mistakes something's... "wrong". Hehe)

And now back to your original ES programming. :) (And my glass of burgundy. Hehe)

I've always found you frustrating and patronising.

Nice build in2bikes!

Samd said:
I've always found you frustrating and patronising.
Nice build in2bikes!

HUH? Tapping about me? I repeat: "never fault the writer but to question some specific point they perhaps "have a problem with"." So, you found something specific that was "frustrating" for you? But didn't question at that time? Now THAT'S "frustrating". Hehe... And "patronizing" (again with no one specific example given)? Some might term that "pathetic".

I spy with my little eye something beginning with 'D' on the original front wheel... are you keeping the dynamo for another project or looking to depart with it? Could be interested at the right price :p

Plenty of room for a nice rear hub at a later date too... 8)

I like that seat! Bike is looking good, Where are you mounting your batteries?

I reckon the colour, tyres and seat give it a nice vintage look. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

AussieRider.

Back