NuVinci 360 installed in fat bike rim

Joe T.

100 W
So a customer gifted me a NuVinci hub for my bike. He originally bought it for himself but his new fat bike rim has 107mm spoke spacing which is much much wider than the NuVinci hub.

After I installed it on my bike I got to thinking. All I would need to do is make the hub wider. So I designed a spacer that bolts to the disc brake mount and relocates the spoke ring. Also a spacer that threads onto the 10mm axle to extend it to reach the dropout. Last a new brake mount with bearing for support.

This is what I came up with.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 2,598
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 2,597
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,597
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,597
Interesting...I'd considered something vaguely similar for using it in a moped/motorcycle rim for a heavy-duty cargobike; never got that far with the project.

How does it transfer the axle reaction torque on the extended side, to the frame? Or does it simply rely only on the other end of the axle to take all the reaction torque and transfer it to the frame?

I am sure there is a really good reason for going through all this trouble but for the ignorant, can you state why using longer spokes with a side to side cross would not work?

amberwolf said:
Interesting...I'd considered something vaguely similar for using it in a moped/motorcycle rim for a heavy-duty cargobike; never got that far with the project.

How does it transfer the axle reaction torque on the extended side, to the frame? Or does it simply rely only on the other end of the axle to take all the reaction torque and transfer it to the frame?

The left spacer has a set screw that locks it to the axle. a 12mm bolt bolts it to the dropout. The right has the supplied no-turn washer installed. The frame has a recess that the washer fits into. After a little grinding....

It's not tested yet but it is bolted securely and time will tell.

Mammalian04 said:
I am sure there is a really good reason for going through all this trouble but for the ignorant, can you state why using longer spokes with a side to side cross would not work?

With the fat tire (5" wide) the hub would need to be radically offset to one side to get the chain line correct. Then there would still be in issue with the dropout spacing. It seemed asier to make the hub the same width as the stock axle. That way we didn't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak :roll:

Joe T. said:
Mammalian04 said:

With the fat tire (5" wide) the hub would need to be radically offset to one side to get the chain line correct. Then there would still be in issue with the dropout spacing. It seemed asier to make the hub the same width as the stock axle. That way we didn't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak :roll:

Ah! got it. Thanks Joe!

Nice! Seems like an opportunity to sell or give away the CNC instructions so others might order one up from a fabrication company or DIY.

Joe T. said:
The left spacer has a set screw that locks it to the axle. a 12mm bolt bolts it to the dropout. The right has the supplied no-turn washer installed. The frame has a recess that the washer fits into. After a little grinding....

How about modifying the dropout-end of the spacer so it has a "tab" that fills the dropout? I assume you'd have to do the modification with the spacer installed on the hub system so you can ensure it is parallel with the other side.

amberwolf said:
Joe T. said:

How about modifying the dropout-end of the spacer so it has a "tab" that fills the dropout? I assume you'd have to do the modification with the spacer installed on the hub system so you can ensure it is parallel with the other side.

The frame started out with a through axle setup. Just a 12mm hole for the axle to go through. I left the frame untouched. Now the left side has a 12mm shouldered bolt threaded into my spacer which is .750". The right side has a collar to shrink the 12mm hole down to 10mm. The inboard part of the frame has a "U" shaped recess for the stock axle to rest in before it is clamped in. The no-turn washer was ground to fit inside the frame "U".

To install the wheel you slide the right side stud in the hole and then line up the left side. It is easier to remove the brake caliper before installation. I do that on my "regular" bike anyway.

gogo said:
Nice! Seems like an opportunity to sell or give away the CNC instructions so others might order one up from a fabrication company or DIY.

you do realize that everyone has different CNC machines right? I mean, sure, if it's Haas G-code there's a good chance somebody else has a Haas to run it... but not everyone uses the same tooling and machine configs. I would never accept a program from a customer, under any circumstances. been doing this for 12 years and never seen anyone else accept code from a customer either... only solid files and drawings as is the norm. from a DFM standpoint that 3d milling on this part adds unnecessary cycle time and is an inelegant solution to what is essentially a very simple part (which could in fact be made cheaply in quantity, designed and programmed accordingly).

Very Nice! You should offer to sell these - Even if they are just petaling - NuVinchi shifts well even under power - so all E-Bike builders need to realize derailers are a thing of the past.No more grinding gears as chain attempts to move on a cluster.Smooth ratios

I have a NuVinci on my bike now and it has been working fine. There is some concern of its torque limit but I have not found it yet. It is very nice so far.

The fat bike with the hub spacer has been working fine as well however that is not my bike. The adapter has been rock solid so far. It is something that I can build for others but at this time of year I am booked with my day job.

Sir, it's been almost two years to the day since your last post in this thread. I would love one of those spacers...

Apparently NuVinci has changed their name and stratedgy extending the internal gear hub offerings but still nothing at 190mm...

Are you currently busy? You mentioned this time of year isn't conducive to fab.

Let me know becaue I'm a serious buyer Sir.

Back