Custom eBike Based on Enduro Frame

Burntspot

10 mW
Hi everyone, This is my post to follow my Enduro eBike build. I have been working on the bike for the past 2 months and I figure that I am about two months out before completion. Please let me know if you have any questions or would like me to cover a specific portion of the build not documented. Thanks and enjoy!

This is is my Youtube Link:
https://www.youtube.com/user/adminaeg/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid

Parts/Specs
Enduro eBike Frame (White)
72V 20AH 18650 cells recovered from laptop batteries
60A continuous 120A peak BMS
Cycle Analyst V3
18Fet Controller
Truvativ Hussefelt 60mm MTB Stem
Killah 200mm Dual Crown 26" Fork
Race Face bar and Sniper Grips
DNM Volcano Rear Shock
SRAM AVID DB5
Ashima Airotor Disc Brake 203mm
Wellgo Xpedo Face Off XMX 18AC Pedals
70's Classic Crank
24" 65mm Rims
Crazy Bob Tire
Crytalyte TC4080

Nice quality video clips, and the bike is looking good too. I always found that laptop batteries were quite restrictive due to their poor discharge ratings, but i guess that the newer laptops have better cells.

Did you weld the battery terminals or solder?

brumbrum said:
Nice quality video clips, and the bike is looking good too. I always found that laptop batteries were quite restrictive due to their poor discharge ratings, but i guess that the newer laptops have better cells.

I tend to agree. I run a 15S Lipo pack on my other Frankenstein bike and I get a real good punch at peak charge but after about 54V (3.6V/cell) the current drops off. Now the 18650 cell have more energy density at a lower amp discharge. I will be building a second pack with new cells. The new LG MJ1 have a 10A rating which will give me 100A at 10P, double at 20P I am considering (http://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-wholesale-battery-reviews/40773059-new-lg-mj1-18650-battery-review-3500mah). Thanks for the comment. Hope you stick around for the rest of this build and future ones.

It would be great if you could discuss your BMS source, choice, wiring etc. BMS seem to be where most people (including me) are getting stuck. Discussion like this can be used if you are going to show a lot of one process, like lacing up your BMS or glueing together cells, keeps the audience interested with something they want to know about. Great videos!

Lurkin said:
It would be great if you could discuss your BMS source, choice, wiring etc. BMS seem to be where most people (including me) are getting stuck. Discussion like this can be used if you are going to show a lot of one process, like lacing up your BMS or glueing together cells, keeps the audience interested with something they want to know about. Great videos!

Hi Lurkin, I am glad you like the videos. This is my first build and I, like so many others, have used a lot of resources here on ES and Youtube. I found Damian Rene here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPYVGWdT858wIc1LEeB1o7A and actually took his recommendation for the BMS from his videos. Everything that I have is an experimentation. I am not recommending any products and I do not have any long term exposure to any.

Thanks for the input, producing content is new to me as well. Would you prefer a write-up here on ES or would you prefer more product overviews in the videos before the actual build?

Cheers,
Aastan

I like write ups because I often don't have time to watch videos. They are also great if I'm away from a decent internet connection. Making threads on here also make it easier to go back and time, reflect on where you started and see the difference in development to where you end up.

The value in a video is being able to demonstrate something of interest which is hard to communicate well in writing. It's harder than it looks ( :lol: ) to make good video content, because if you are really critical of your own content, you'll find you'll end up cutting it in half or less (not having a go, I have had to do the same elsewhere). The more direct and relevant videos are to the 'need' of the viewer, the better the video.

This will be the last photos for this pack. I ran into a setback when I shorted the BMS the new one should be here by the end of the week. A new full 72V pack was purchase just incase I run into more issues. If not, the new pack will be put on my second build. One last video will follow as well of the pack then my focus will be on the pack installation with the completion of the frame. Also the front well has zero offset which causes it to rub the fork. I will capture the repair on video as well.

Attachments

• IMG_7174.JPG
    IMG_7174.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 8,135
  • IMG_7172.JPG
    IMG_7172.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 8,135
  • IMG_7170.JPG
    IMG_7170.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 8,135
  • IMG_7168.JPG
    IMG_7168.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 8,135
Just curious - did you do testing of the BMS to determine that it will be work as described? I'm intending to make a summary 'how to' thread, but a little lacking on content... :D

Lurkin said:
Just curious - did you do testing of the BMS to determine that it will be work as described? I'm intending to make a summary 'how to' thread, but a little lacking on content... :D

Not of the current BMS because it was defective. Went through two cycles of charge and dis-charge and on the third time charging to full capacity the BMS stopped working. The balance light indicators won't light up anymore. New BMS should be here by Friday and I will go through the testing process again.

My standard 8.4v headlights before modification.

Attachments

• _MG_7135.JPG
    _MG_7135.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 7,810
  • _MG_7145 - Copy.JPG
    _MG_7145 - Copy.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 7,810
  • _MG_7144 - Copy.JPG
    _MG_7144 - Copy.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 7,810
  • _MG_7143 - Copy.JPG
    _MG_7143 - Copy.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 7,810
  • _MG_7139 - Copy.JPG
    _MG_7139 - Copy.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 7,810
  • _MG_7137 - Copy.JPG
    _MG_7137 - Copy.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 7,810
  • _MG_7136 - Copy.JPG
    _MG_7136 - Copy.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 7,810
Everything fit perfectly. Only short coming is the pack of used cells. Only able to deliver 2amps per cell which is 20amp peak accounting for resistance and age. Building new pack of Sanyo 3.5ah 10amp 18650GA cells. That's 100amp peak (20s10p). Suspension is good tires are great for the road. For the price you get Bomber performance for half the price. Will try to get a video in before new pack is finished

Having crashed into many a top tube over the years, those key placements always makes me cringe a little.... :shock:

Back