Routy's Vector! Adaptto, QS, and other goodies

Routybouty

100 W
I've had my Vector for about 8 months now and have been loving it! I am currently redoing the bike with some upgrades and trying to lighten it up some. Here are some pics of the pre-redo:

On to the new stuff...upgrades

Shimano Saint brakes
Marzocchi Ti fork
2x lightweight single LED (Look like XM-L LEDs, advertised as XM-L2)
Mudguards finally
Additional motor cooling
Condensed Turnigy 20s25p pack. Took 25 4s hard-cases, stripped them bare and rewired for a simpler setup, dropped a few pounds
Simplified handlebar wiring by moving Adaptto screen to frame and smaller headlights
Headlights were modified to turn on and to full brightness with power applied. They were the normal 3-brightness with flash mode, all disabled
Wider handlebars
Lighter weight 19" moto tires with bicycle tubes
Front turn signals
Severely reduced controller heat-sink size (and weight!) and moved inside, hope it stays cool enough
Designed/built/coded 12V power board. This is my past 2 months effort.
-Controls all the 12V functions; tail, brake, turns, headlights, and horn!
-PIC controls flash rate of turns, flash rate of tail, triggers brake light on hall effect voltage with flicker
-100V (max) to 12V switcher tested up to 2.5A
-Activates on ignition switch
-Switches Adaptto on/off
-All "connectorized" for easy wire management

Stayed the same:
QS 205 4T (11kv) motor
Adaptto Max-E
DNM Rear shock

On to pics...!

I didn't have the Adaptto plugged in for this video (still mounting the controller), but it would turn on with ignition.
[youtube]PLS1itF4u20[/youtube]

I still have a laundry list of things left to do. I'm excited to get this thing back on the road/trails! The 12V power board has been the hold up for the past two months, so it should go fairly quick after that. Will update as it goes.

JumperJackFlash said:
Routy,
How do you like the QS 4T? Does it climb hills well?
Thanks.

Well, unfortunately I live where I live and there are no hills :lol:. I tend to do a lot of high speed commuting, usually in the 30-50mph range. Last time I had it running, I could sustain 45mph without the motor overheating or climbing in temp. I think it leveled off in the 160F-180F range. I have some additional cooling mods I have applied this winter and we'll see how it reacts in the summer. I like the motor overall, it's massive, lots of mass for heat. The phase wires were nice and large. With a Max-E attached I don't think there's anything it wouldn't climb :twisted:!

I was thinking about using the same motor controller combo on a small motorcycle. I hope it works great for you. What kind of motor mods did you do?

Wow! Amazing setup ;) how heavy is your bike? Finished today my vector build and it feels really heavy with only 20ah battery..
By the way, what settings are you using on boost mode? A, phA and regen?

awesome build thread.

have you got the QS v3 extra type? i would assume so. just wondering how it tunes up with adaptto, what sort of power consumption do you get on the flat usually, at ~40-50kph?
just wondering as it has slightly deeper stator teeth then the cro, which the adaptto may not like apparently, with peoples experience with the Crown motor etc.

an ~80mm 12v fan mounted in the seatpost bracket would be great for removing some controller heat.
great components.

would you consider selling me a board for the turn signals etc?
have you got a link for the key switch?

cheers
RTL

thumbs up for that circuit borad^^ thats an outstanding detail of the mods. good job.

Routybouty said:
Condensed Turnigy 20s25p pack. Took 25 4s hard-cases, stripped them bare and rewired for a simpler setup, dropped a few pounds

I do not understand what battery config is. 20s25p perhaps is 20s5p?

Routybouty said:
Well, unfortunately I live where I live and there are no hills :lol:. I tend to do a lot of high speed commuting, usually in the 30-50mph range. Last time I had it running, I could sustain 45mph without the motor overheating or climbing in temp. I think it leveled off in the 160F-180F range. I have some additional cooling mods I have applied this winter and we'll see how it reacts in the summer. I like the motor overall, it's massive, lots of mass for heat. The phase wires were nice and large. With a Max-E attached I don't think there's anything it wouldn't climb :twisted:!

So, you already rode Max-e with QS205 4T? If not please let us know if Max-e likes QS205 4T.

Finally back from a week long trip to Idaho (No, YouDaHoe!) for work. I can finally get some work done today! No updates yet, but I can answer some questions.

kostikas said:
Wow! Amazing setup ;) how heavy is your bike? Finished today my vector build and it feels really heavy with only 20ah battery..
By the way, what settings are you using on boost mode? A, phA and regen?

Thanks! The weight is in the 120lb range. A is 125 (maxed), phA 325 (maxed), regen I am still playing with, I think it will end up around 50A variable.

maydaverave said:
I was thinking about using the same motor controller combo on a small motorcycle. I hope it works great for you. What kind of motor mods did you do?

I added (deleted?) some holes in the stator to increase surface area. I also added fins on the outside of the exhaust exit holes in the cover.

ridethelightning said:
awesome build thread.

have you got the QS v3 extra type? i would assume so. just wondering how it tunes up with adaptto, what sort of power consumption do you get on the flat usually, at ~40-50kph?

would you consider selling me a board for the turn signals etc?
have you got a link for the key switch?

It's the V3, I don't think it's the extra. That wasn't an option when I purchased it (about a year ago). I'll have to get back to you on the power consumption, it's been awhile since I've been able to ride! I have two more boards available once I have all the kinks worked out of mine. I have one issue left that should be solved with a cap value change at least and adding a resistor at most. Then I just need to populate/program them.

Ignition: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U3NB7Q0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

bigbore said:
I do not understand what battery config is. 20s25p perhaps is 20s5p?

So, you already rode Max-e with QS205 4T? If not please let us know if Max-e likes QS205 4T.

Yes, 20s5p, 25p was a typo. I've been using the QS205 4T V3 for about a year. Works fine for me!

Congrat´s to such a nice built! How much was your battery and where did you get it from?

DasDouble said:
Congrat´s to such a nice built! How much was your battery and where did you get it from?

Thanks! I think I ended up <$450 for the battery. I got them on sale, I'm thinking about $17/ea from HobbyKing.

I got a chance to finally hop on the bike and get some time on it. It went really well. I was able to finish my 12V power board with all features working flawless! The only issue I have is I'm not getting very many regen amps. I think I've fought this issue before. I believe it has to do with the ForcedActive and some other mode maybe, can't remember off hand. It's only getting up to about 12A of regen.

Other than that, bike felt good. Neighbor guy I never talked to before came over and asked some questions and I let him take it for a ride! He had the EV grin and I didn't even put in in boost mode :twisted:!

Routybouty said:
Other than that, bike felt good. Neighbor guy I never talked to before came over and asked some questions and I let him take it for a ride! He had the EV grin and I didn't even put in in boost mode :twisted:!

Haha same here when I've tested Arturs Bike :mrgreen:

I havent seen a rear disc attached like that before. Is that a factory option? What disc model is it, what diameter? What had to be done to get the rear claiper to work with that disc and hub combo? (well done, sir!)

+1
and perhaps take the pic with the advanced setting screen showing the tuning values? would be helpful as im trying to tune mine up, but the thing sounds muddy as hell on autodetect.
cheers.

looks to me like a 203 shimano saint ice tech floating rotor, the trick would be that there is a countersunk area where the disc sits against the hub, and its the wrong size to snug over the hub disc spacer :|
i know cause...thats why i diddnt use that on mine.
im guessing your solution was a spacer to fit into and pack out the countersunk section? ofcourse its only feasable to do if there is plenty of room in the drops...which there often isnt with a cro/qs.

Ahhh...I see it now. Initially, the black spider looked like it was a cast part of the sideplate. now that I look closer, it is a separate piece. Noteworthy that the disc is large enough that the caliper sits far enough away from the axle that it clears the wide hump in the sideplate's center...

IMG_0643_zpscwlfiogg.jpg

How do you power your Arduino with your battery? About usb from Adaptto Display or how???????? Want to install my own one on my build too, with Alarm asert, GPS Tracker if it get´s stolen, and also the light-system just like you have. But instead of the blinkers on the side on the front I want them in my Front Lightmaske integrated.. Gonna be epic..! :D

I haven't had much time to work on the bike. I still have a small list of things to do.
Redo the panel seals
Dial in suspension
Recheck wheel true
Confirm controller doesn't overheat during long high speed runs

ridethelightning said:
+1
and perhaps take the pic with the advanced setting screen showing the tuning values? would be helpful as im trying to tune mine up, but the thing sounds muddy as hell on autodetect.
cheers.

fullonoob said:
can u post more photos of how u mounted the display on top? how is it hold in place

Not much to it. I cut off the mounts for a flat back and velcro'd it on. Plus some mud specs!

For the brake rotor I had to drill new holes that were lined up with the brake rotor adapter plate bolted to the motor (further out). The main reason for this was to have enough clearance for the phase wires. I think it fit fine otherwise.

DasDouble said:
How do you power your Arduino with your battery? About usb from Adaptto Display or how???????? Want to install my own one on my build too, with Alarm asert, GPS Tracker if it get´s stolen, and also the light-system just like you have. But instead of the blinkers on the side on the front I want them in my Front Lightmaske integrated.. Gonna be epic..! :D

My 12V power board has a DCDC converter that switches battery down to 12V. I then have a linear reg that takes 12V to 5V for the PIC controller. You could definitely use the USB 5V if you wanted to, but I don't think it's powered when the unit is off if you want theft control.

Routybouty said:
I haven't had much time to work on the bike. I still have a small list of things to do.

yeah , its always a never ending process, or struggle against entropy, which ever way you want to look at it :lol:

with that huge heat sink on the controller, i think overheating the motor might be the limiting factor, but a little fan on that heatsink and id say itll only get slightly warm.

thanks heaps for posting the tuning settings.

i have been tuning mine no-load and it looks like similar settings are working for me too.
i started out with bigboars settings-
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=62650&start=225#p1165504
and tweaked it from there, but i guesse ill only know the best settings for temps and efficiency once i start road testing.

ang corr is near the 0 point, slightly positive
ind is ~0650us-0700us(higher then for cro)
pwr +2.11

with autodetect the settings were shockingly off, even to the point where the motor was just rocking back and forwards :| did you get that too?

i am still a little confused re. pwr timing2 and ang corr2, as i was told it was for regen settings, but i have noticed it also effects efficiency/temps .

btw. wire R phc, i have switched to "YES", i think it changes the way the cotroller calculates the phase current resistance, if "yes"it usesthe settings you give it, if "no " it does it some other way(?)

Routybouty said:
Redo the panel seals
Dial in suspension
Recheck wheel true

I'm using very similar controller parameters and so far the only problem I have to report is that riding downhill I have torque fluctuations at 1/2 throttle. Anybody else noticed it?

bigbore said:
Routybouty said:
Redo the panel seals
Dial in suspension
Recheck wheel true

I'm using very similar controller parameters and so far the only problem I have to report is that riding downhill I have torque fluctuations at 1/2 throttle. Anybody else noticed it?

Bigbore have you tried changing the Throttle Mode in Traction Setup from SPD to TORQ? I had this same problem but when I switched to TORQ it virtually eliminated the issue. Much smoother now. I believe I got this tip from RTL in one of the threads. Speed Smooth is another setting you might play around with.

Could you please make a video of your headlights in the night? I want to mount the same ones.. :)

Would really apprechiate that! :)

Back