There is no ebike "season"

Hey!

If the camera doesn't freeze, it's not really winter.

Bob

p.s. seriously, I just put together my winterbike yesterday, and I'm just waiting for a thumb throttle. It was -27 here today, but I was still itching to try it out.

arrrf!
Snow is a possibility on Friday for Vancouver's Kilowatt Hour Ride.
The forecast is for continued cold so if it does snow it might stick around for awhile.
le Béte was last winter's favourite ride but it never got much beyond deep slush.
When it turns into polished frozen humps and slush filled ruts I prefer a fixed wheel with studded tires.
Armoured shorts are a handy ice biking accessory.

Great Video. I kept thinking that camera was a goner sticking out so far and you riding so close to the graded snow.
You certainly got where you were going faster than any car could have. Who says bikes have to stop for red lights :twisted:

Agree, Great video, Nuts! Particularly the camera angle. How about a pic of how you fixed the camera?

Gobsmacked here in snow-less Miami.

I guess (laughing at myself) that slicks are not a Good Idea, were I to ever meet with snow and ice!
The video is TOPS. You frozen men are icons of CAN DO. You deal with it. I'm not that tough,
and would crash a car in snow, inside of one mile. And a bike? Me on snow? OH NOOOooooooo!
I'd faw down fast.

Oh well, love the video. Makes me want to see snow, but.... not try to ride on that surface.
I don't have the know-how or character for such tough going.

How'd you mount your camera? It's the perfect placement and it's rock-steady.

Thanks again for the GREAT work! Canadians Rule (snow, and other things too).

Hmm.. ottawa kinda looks like Moncton.. I chickened out today and cabbed it.. :oops:

We had a few inches of freezing rain and slush last night.. going to be 20mm of rain today and 90 km/h winds.. what a mess it is.

They salt the roads out here massively, i take the X5'ed BMX out in it once in a while for some snow Donuts... :twisted: but unfortunatetly i work in an office with dress code and can't convince myself to ride to work during the winter out here.. toooo much snow 90 % of the time. :|

Reid Welch said:
Oh well, love the video. Makes me want to see snow,

Indeed excellent video i would also like to see the method of camera attachment. I have seen snow, on a distant mountain top when i went to NSW (east coat of OZ) to the Blue Mountains is as close as i would like to gotto snow, watching the video made me shiver LoL...I much prefer "playing" in non frozen water..with plenty of HOT sun overhead..and blonde beach babes parading around...nice job matey

nutsandvolts said:
The camera is glued and strapped to a plunger handle! the handle slides into the xtracycle frame and is held in place with a screw.

Thats freakin sweet a plunger handle of all things LoL...neat little webcam too, unfortunately my "camera" with video function is bigger and heavier, i shall look into making a stand though as i reeeeally liked the angle/veiw from your video, bit less "boring" than the standard 'duct taped camera to the handle bar' veiw i usually take LoL...

nutsandvolts said:
I I said Australia is cool! I also have an upside-down map of the world with OZ on top, and several other cool things from down under. I think it would be something to try to cross Australia on ebike! Now that would be a challenge.

Yes OZ is pretty neat place but im totally biased LoL.. I have seen those maps in Tourist SHops i must pick one up would go well on the wall next to my Aussie Flag hehe...as for crossing the Nullabor on an e-bike well.... i have done it in a car and a bus and flown across...doesn't take Einstein to workout out which two i would NEVER do again LoL..must be without doubt THE most boooooring stretch of land in the world LoL...Solar panels would be a viable option though, the sun shines 365 days a year out there in 48 °C ~118 °F heat LoL

Off to workshop to ponder a camera stand arrangement..

Kim

nutsandvolts said:
Fave thing about OZ is the laid back attitude of people ... the whole "no worries mate" thing ... I have been to quite a few countries and have never found any other that has that laid back attitude ... I will be back for sure some day ... Cairns is actually my favorite place on the planet!

If you make it to the Westcoast of OZ let me know and we can catch up for a few beers and some e-bike chat ;)

You guys are certifiable! :lol: Yesterday we got the first measurable rain in quite some time. It has been long enough that my son's year-old dog was freaked out, that she couldn't out to pee. She'd never seen rain, much less go out in it. My wife had to take her out with an umbrella. :roll:

All of Southern California comes pretty well unhinged, even with a little rain. If we ever got enough snow on the ground to stick, everything would grind to a halt. It didn't even make it into the 60s today, so my secretary wants to go home early. Seriously. Says she can't hack the cold. It is supposed to rain again tomorrow, I think, and be a lot colder. I have a feeling I'll get a call in the morning...

I can't imagine how in the heck you guys can even consider riding in/on anything without a heater, in that kind of conditions. You are definitely cut from much tougher stock. :mrgreen:

-- Gary

Oh.. like Ottawa and Moncton it seems that Quebec city god cold weather too! :shock:

But.. I admit.. A real Doctorbass reasoning is:

Oh.. great!.. it's -30 outdoor today!... I'll be abe able to push my X5 over the 10kW limit!!.. The delta 50 degree from summer temp would certainly allow to push it a bit more :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Not you?

i'm jocking....

Doc

GGoodrum said:
You guys are certifiable! . . .

I can't imagine how in the heck you guys can even consider riding in/on anything without a heater, in that kind of conditions. You are definitely cut from much tougher stock. :mrgreen:

-- Gary
Always remember that though Canadians may seem more sane, tasteful and polite, we're really fukinutz.

Actually it's surprising to see more bike alt.culture in Seattle, Portand and Saint Paul than in Austin, Atlanta or San Diego.
The wet-coast of Cascadia is a NA hot bed of cycle culture, velo-couture and bicycle commuting.
So what if it rains. What are ya gonna do, hide? (though many do long enough for drivers to forget about us until spring)

An oft recycled axiom, "there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear", holds true today. Wool is still the miracle fibre.

Heated saddle for the hard core:

what a great video!!!i enjoyed that,great angle.kinda spooky sometimes.im gonna try a similar angle.my bicycle will not be of interest here unless i use alcohol and castor oil,which i have done,but i get half the horsepower,and my max is 3 hp.its my only transportation,my bicycle. :shock: victoria stands still with 1 inch of snow.i spent 18 years in northern ontario,in the 70s and 80s.so i dont think much of it.

Attachments

• 123 006.jpg
    123 006.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,996
LMAO nutsandvolts... Snow Wars !!! :twisted:

I"m lucky enough to have an empty lot in front of my house.. i blow it all into the street ( dead end as well so no blocking the street ) then throw it in the empty lot.. otherwise you run out of room by Febuary..

Some coworkers howerver are not so lucky and i've witnessed a few very heated arguments in the morning lol.. imagine when you can't get your car into ( or out depending on when the storms hit ) the driveway, if you leave the car on the street you get fined because it's in the way of the street cleaners.. another fine reason not to own a car ! lol..

If you have a 3 car driveway, forget it..

Started snowing shortly after i got to work today.. roads were clear .. right now we have at least 15cm, 10 more to go, and i'm on my way home after hitting " Send " in a moment !! :wink:

Time to turn the furnace on in the garage.. have a shot of Crown Royal.. fill up the tank on the snow blower and have at it ! :mrgreen:

Like I said, you guys are cut from much tougher cloth (wool?). :D

It is raining here in so cal again today, and it is as cold as I've seen it in many, many years. It is only about 47F right now, and not supposed to get any higher than 50F. Up until last week, it was still in the 80s. Anyway, we just found out at work that the heater for the offices up front is broken. I had to send a guy out to go buy a couple of space heaters. :roll:

Winter sucks... :wink:

An engineer at Surly broke a leg. He cobbled together an outrigger for a Stokemonkey and Xtracycle equipped Karate Monkey(?).
It carried the batteries on a simple sidecar type frame. You can't risk dabbing with the wrong foot. You've been doing rehab on a stationary bike for weeks already. It's easier to pedal than to walk.

The third wheel would be a boon in this weather.
I remember snowfalls when my Dnepr was the only motorcycle on the road.

You'll still need studs on the side streets and shadey spots for stopping and steering with any athorative immediacy.

Living in lotus land makes you soft. I rationalise not riding le Béte through sticky corrosive electrolyte solutions as being preventative maintenance.

I've been riding pedal power these past days using reduced pressure on slicks and concentrating on riding "loose" over the ice patches but will drag out the old DIY studs to put on the polo bike if this shit keeps up.

There's nothing like snow to make you realise how nice it is when it rains.

Attachments

• XtraXtramonkey.jpg
    XtraXtramonkey.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,928
Back