DH Comp build mk2

millzy555

100 W
I'm calling this mk2 after previously having a DH comp already built for me. A change of job leaving me 9km from home sparked my interest in e-bikes again. After owning a greyborg, stealth fighter etc i want something a little more discreet/ bike like. This will be used for the commute/ general riding around the city/ parklands. So here is the build which i'll continue to upload:

This was the donor bike i bought for $200- Being an 05 model it has the larger rear swingarm, but limited triangle space. All components will be rolled over to the 03 Frame

Next step was to locate a 03 frame. After a few weeks searching i mentioned my build to Samd who had a frame lying around. Frame was bead blasted.

Next step ws to paint the frame whilst it was bare. A quick coat of degreaser and trip to the paint store. Wasn't after a pristine job so black was chosen. Used 2 coats of etch primer, 3 coats of black and 2 coats of clear (mainly to protect it)

All bearings were replaced in the swingarm read for use. Not the easiest of jobs belting them out but survived

Next came the issue of dropouts. After realising these were still in production i made a few inquiries. Whilst talking with Samd he mentioned he had a set that he mocked up. These were slightly different to the original design being a 3 piece setup and not welded/ glued together. Had to enlarge all bolt holes and fiddle with the mounting bolts. Using DP810 i glued and clamped each piece together. If this doesnt hold i'll pull out the welder

Thats where i'm up to so far. Progress is steady

$200!!! what?! that's an absolute steal! perfect. I have been keeping an eye out of a large size one. Last one I wanted went for ~$450!

motor/controller combo?

Lurkin said:
$200!!! what?! that's an absolute steal! perfect. I have been keeping an eye out of a large size one. Last one I wanted went for ~$450!

motor/controller combo?

Had to drive to shepparton to grab it :( , but a good deal nontheless.
Just have a HS3540 for the minute/ test phase and a cheap 45amp controller. Will iron all the bugs out first then jump ship to a Mxus and possibly sinewave controller. - Nothing too extreme

Nice work Millzy. Should've shown you my latest sine unit on the weekend when you dropped by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some more progress over the past few days

Unsure as to how to mount the rear derailleur on here. Helicoil maybe? Bolt size 10mm x 1 isnt that common

Swingarm on and cranks installed. Had a few dramas trying to remember where the crank shims go will find out eventually. Chain line looks ok so far

Forks on....

Goodbye cable guides in preperation for the battery box (see a few designs on here which look the goods)

And this is where i've left it for now.. Will do a mock fit up of the rear hub and see what issues i run into.

I wouldnt be afraid to roughen up the externals of the dropout bolsters and smear DP810 over the whole lot and interface it to the main frame. The 10 minute work time makes it easy to goop in just the right places...

For the derailleur hangar, you might consider a "nutsert/rivnut". Don't know if it will work, just a thought. I've used them on occasion, sometimes I properly compress them as they were designed to do, and other times, I had drilled a hole in some thick aluminum plate, then simply epoxied the steel threaded nutsert into the hole (snug up a bolt into it to hold it in the proper alignment as the epoxy dries)

Samd said:
I wouldnt be afraid to roughen up the externals of the dropout bolsters and smear DP810 over the whole lot and interface it to the main frame. The 10 minute work time makes it easy to goop in just the right places...

I did ask you on FB about this :D haha. Will do that i think and give it a few days to cure

spinningmagnets said:
For the derailleur hangar, you might consider a "nutsert/rivnut". Don't know if it will work, just a thought. I've used them on occasion, sometimes I properly compress them as they were designed to do, and other times, I had drilled a hole in some thick aluminum plate, then simply epoxied the steel threaded nutsert into the hole (snug up a bolt into it to hold it in the proper alignment as the epoxy dries)

I have heard about these but never used one before. Will do a quick google and see what i can find.

I think the issue is the d*ckhead who sold you those torque plates must've forgotten to tap that hole as a simple M8 (IIRC) thread to take a derailleur bolt :mrgreen:
Sorry. Can you borrow an M8 tap from somewhere? I can check which thread exactly it is tonight :oops:

Samd said:
I think the issue is the d*ckhead who sold you those torque plates must've forgotten to tap that hole as a simple M8 (IIRC) thread to take a derailleur bolt :mrgreen:
Sorry. Can you borrow an M8 tap from somewhere? I can check which thread exactly it is tonight :oops:

Haha im pretty sure its 10mm x 1mm tap. Dont know if it will work as i cam get the derailleur bolt through....i have managed to get the old hanger on there to hold the derailleur. Heading to the bolt shop to see if i can get a nut of some sort. Will get a pic

Had a productive arvo getting everything sorted. Got the rear brake on, shimmed it up now is silent (prefer the shimano's over avids)

Derailleur on, not quite functioning 100% but used as a chain tensioner anyway

Chainline looks good

Starting to resemble a bike again

Just the electrics to go on and fab up a battery box

Will you fit the pinch bolts also? Else it might not hold.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33767&start=225#p954250

Are they Kiwi dropouts or did you make those Samd? Are you still making them? At what power do you recommend needing them?

/hijack over.

In other news, looking pretty damn good millzy. What do you mean by shimmed it up to be silent?

Lurkin said:
Are they Kiwi dropouts or did you make those Samd? Are you still making them? At what power do you recommend needing them?

/hijack over.

In other news, looking pretty damn good millzy. What do you mean by shimmed it up to be silent?

Sam has both, these were copied from the original. My advice (not putting Sam down) would be to stick to the originals, albeit at an extra cost. Saves lots of fiddling around.
By "shimmed" i mean when the brake disc passes through the caliper you get that slight drag noise...i've pretty much got rid of this

No offense taken. Kiwi has stopped making them so I knocked up some half done kits to bail out a few people who needed them. They're just flat sheets that need welding and tapping threads etc. If you can find originals snap them up.
For what kiwi was selling them for its a real pain to make complete sets unless you do a large batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to get things moving.

These are the lipo's i'll be using, 5 4s packs in series

This came in the mail today from buddyrc (highly recommend)

Got my pinch bolts in place- No movement there

Placing everything out

I'll enlist the old man to fab up a battery box, but in the mean time i have ordered a luna triangle bag to get things rolling

There's a guy dropping a luna bag on aussie fleabay this week. Shame i didnt say!

Well this is how it stood today. Had 4 turnigy lipo's and the controller in the bag, was all going fine until something it the motor went....So will be down for a while
Need to mount controller on downtube (U bolts at Bunnings to get) and that should leave me enough room for 4 4s Multistars, 5 at a squeeze.

Thought this could do with an update. Bought this bike instead off this forum

Performance fits my needs perfectly. There is some serious weight to the 5404 but knowing that it will be bullet proof makes it worthwhile.
Currently have the batteries in the backpack, i actually dont mind this. Still tweaking a few things on the bike (spring rates, changed the disc rotors, bled the front brake) but happy with my purchase

Thats a lovely bike mate. Would the batteries fit in the front triangle?
Whats the plan with the old unit?

Samd said:
Thats a lovely bike mate. Would the batteries fit in the front triangle?
Whats the plan with the old unit?

Unfortunately wont get 12 Turnigys in there, Happy with the backpack setup for now. 8kgs on the back isnt too much. Ive semi sold the old unit...only one small payment to go. I have sent him your name/ number too.

Back