Drew12345 Trek Fuel Ex7, BBSHD, Battery in Saddle

drew12345

10 kW
Starting a new build. Wanted something that was more of assist mode, quiet, and mid drive. So found a complete bike with BBSHD on Luna Cycles. However, ended up finding a super deal for same bike on ebay. So ended up buying just the bbshd and battery from Luna. I also got the color display. In addition, I got the 52v, 6ah, 30q mini cube battery. Plan is to put in saddle bag under seat.

rsz_1img_2746.jpg

rsz_1img_2758.jpg

rsz_1img_2757.jpg

[youtube]oXyYN81xT4M[/youtube]

[youtube]u_XvwdZJ-4k[/youtube]

Looks sweet! I see your in Maryland too. Hit me up if you wanna ride some trials sometime. Got some sweet trials nearby in burtonsville.

K, have an issue. I have the wrong length BBSHD. This bike actually needs the fat version which I never expected for reg mountain bike.

So I contacted Luna. He said I can exchange the motor. I just need to pay shipping. But I may do 3rd option and install on my other full suspension bike which I may do. It's trek fuel ex7 and what I installed the cyclone on.

I've been thinking more about how I don't like how low the motor hangs down on this bike. That means I would need to sell this bike which I don't feel like it. I got such a good deal that I may even may make a profit if I do sell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1473421913.212960.jpg

To get this press bottom bracket out, I went to Home Depot and made this tool to pop it out. I did same thing for my headset.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474222740.220311.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474222752.719670.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474222763.585842.jpg

So I mentioned above that this motor was wrong size. So I didn't feel like sending back so putting on my other bike a trek fuel ex7 full suspension.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474222878.636028.jpg

So it maybe hard to tell but the Luna 42t chain ring is NOT offset enough. The chainring lines up with 2nd smallest. It needs to be over at least 2 more cogs to have decent shifting.

I even have the motor moved all the way over. So will need to put the original chainring back on. Contemplating getting the Luna eclipse which would fix it. It's $100 though.

Why would they make the motor like this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474227842.497571.jpg

I put the original bafang chainring back on. Much better shifting now. I have bike in decent state to take out for a ride and work out any kinks. Since this post, I also added the gear sensor. It's raining now so can't take it for ride on street yet.

Also, won't ride on trail for couple weeks. I busted my back again doing too much regular riding. Which is why I have electric bike in first place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474307984.342393.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1474307994.177215.jpg

Nice build! I always wanted to try a BBS build but have still yet to take the plunge...

I like the Luna battery it seems like everyone(including myself) this year are trying the Luna batteries since they are the only ones reasonably priced. I have only discharged mine about 2 times so far so I don't have much feedback yet.

How is the mighty batt?

Thanks Skeetab. I'm going for first ride tomorrow. I will record my maiden voyage. I can't do anything crazy because my back is sore now. But will get an idea how it performs. With this setup, I'm assuming will max around 31 mph. I will mainly use for trail so more than fast enough.

My plan is to buy another mighty battery and eclipse chainring for the trail.

Wow that's nice and light! Have you gotten a chance to check the range of the bike with that pack?

I went for first ride today. I got a little less than 7 miles on 6ah battery. However, I only charged to 80% because I wanted to get more cycles out of it. But now I changed my mind. From now on, I will charge it all the way and see how it does. I'll let you know.

Overall, I really like the BBSHD kit. Even though this mid drive is not as powerful as my aft mid drive, it's compact, quiet, reliable, and seems has enough power for the trails. It was simple installation. I rode it pretty hard for less than hour. It was warm but not hot. Again, will see after I ride on the trails.

I'm not sure about the battery yet. It's nice and compact, but heats up fast. It was so hot after my ride today it wouldn't charge. My display cut off also at end of my ride. Most likely ran out of juice and not from heat. I'll keep testing it and see how it does on the trails. I may have to put some holes in the saddle to get some air flow. I may need to get bigger battery if continues this way.

[youtube]_NMRziDPgxM[/youtube]

Went for another ride. Almost same route. I got 10.33 miles on full charge. Mostly flat with some rolling hills in there. I was mainly using pas 3 and 4 out of 5. I vented the saddle and battery was slightly cooler but still hot.

From the video where have you mounted the camera as its the first time i have heard the BBSHD gear wine ? its not loud but it's not silent either ? i.e most people say its quiet like a hub is that true or not its hard to tell maybe its the mike placing that extenuates this ?

The bbs is very quiet. I don't even notice it. I had the aft mid drive and that was loud even with all the sound damping stuff on it.

It's one of the main reasons I like the BBSHD. I'm really waiting one day for a powerful mid drive that is just as quiet. Not sure when that day will come but it's getting closer.

I know people are putting external controllers with BBSHD and even Luna came out with more powerful controller for this as one step. I'm not sure how quiet the direct mid drives are out there?

My motor came loose first offroad ride so I bought the socket from empowered to tighten the inner lock ring. I couldn't tighten enough with Luna tool. Now I can use my torque wrench!

Got here in 2 days. I love getting bike tools. Note: it does look slightly used though. But this tool will last forever so I'm fine with it.

So the other day I did first offroad ride on this bike. It was really fun. This bike is so light and the bbshd is an awesome kit. Really like it. It's plenty fast for trails around here. I tightened the motor down with socket above so look forward to next ride.

I also got a pinch flat towards end of ride. I think pressure was low and didn't bother to check. But having mid drive makes it easy to change flats! Working on vid.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1475839587.866019.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1475839603.766136.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1475839634.949279.jpg

So tightened motor down and next ride, it still came loose!?

So, something is not right. I didn't add any spacers because it lined up just right. But it might be a small gap that I couldn't see. So I decided to add a thin bb spacer (which kit came with several). But in my effort to put everything back together, I accidentally snapped a m6 bolt. I was using my larger torque wrench and was using lowest setting but I don't think it worked in this setting and over tightened.

Anyway, I had to go hardware store and get screw extractor and harder drill bit. I then drilled out center, cut the left over bolt on other side, and then used the extractor. Thank God it came out. I then used my smaller torque wrench to finish install.

Went for ride and seems to be holding now. Will see next few rides.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1476230379.964002.jpg

I think this motor is really good for tight single track. It has just enough power, stealthy, light and quiet. Add the mid drive advantages and makes it really fun for the trail. I've been having a blast.

Went for ride and seems to be holding now. Will see next few rides.

i have seen a few people notice this movement its not very secured on an aluminum BB face and just that tab, be careful that it can also damage the BB face as it moves up and down its one of the main downsides of this kit compared to the ISIS BB midrive kits.

Looks like you are having fun! Glad to see you are getting full capacity from your pack too! Weird that the BB keep loosening...I've never owned one so don't ask me :)

Thanks Skeetab. How's the beta going?

Got a infrared thermometer. Will be checking temp of motor and batteries for fun. Only $15 from Amazon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1476391710.737342.jpg

Back