Giant Trace Full Suspension + Bafang BBS02 -> STOLEN :'(

ginekolog

10 W
I like riding bikes, have been doing it for 30+ years :) Two years ago i decided to make e-bike, discovered this great community and decided for BBS02.
This is my second build. First was GT Agressor with BBS02, but I missed full suspension and better brakes (it had Vbrakes, not good for wet grasslands).

I looked for suitable bike. It was hard as i wanted to put battery in triangle on bike site M. No new bikes were able to provide that so i had to buy used on. Luckily I found 2009 Giant TranceX3 in mint condition.

I put BBS02 on, had to drill frame for battery and added magnet sensors on hydro brakes. I modified cassette so i have 6 speeds now (36-12) and perfect chainline. Drawback is shifting is a bit harder as deraliler is too far from small gears.

I love riding it on mountains, woods and nature in general. I also like heavy mud and snow for a change. I can take 2 kids on bike and show them around. I go to work with it and in bar for beers ;) Very usefull vehicle. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20160429_120715.jpg
    20160429_120715.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 2,087
  • 20160923_122744.jpg
    20160923_122744.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 2,983
  • 20160923_121734-001.jpg
    20160923_121734-001.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 2,983
I looked for suitable bike. It was hard as i wanted to put battery in triangle on bike site M. No new bikes were able to provide that so i had to buy used on.
And you probably saved a lot of money because of this.
I keep telling anyone who will listen to me, used mountain bikes are the best deal in E biking, especially ones w/ 26 inch wheels, which it seems nobody wants anymore.
I have bought 3 used mid/high end used MTB's (a Rocky Mountain and 2 GT I-drives) over the last 5 years and in each case, they were like-new cond. and I payed less than half of MSRP! :lol:
I have found that a lot of guys buy a nice MTB, take it out once or twice, find out how much work it is and park it. And the fact that they are 3 to 10 years old (and considered obsolete by serious off-roaders)doesn't really matter for an E bike conversion. Their components are still high tech and work amazing and a few pounds don't matter a wit to us. I look at my bike's Fox shocks and think to myself, " I payed less for the whole bike than that shock alone costs new!

If you are like me, you will end up fighting flat tires and your mid-drive makes me jealous. Still, there are tires out there that are HD, like motorcycle tires that you should look into.
(Kenda John Tomac Sig.s I just bought in 24 X 2.5" size;

100_0074.JPG

I have tried to find tires, like small block enduros, that work for both road and off-road, but in the end they work ok on both, but not great on either. If I were you, I would run enduros most of time, but for serious off-road, build another pair of wheels w/ knobbies(w/ the money you saved buying a used bike:)
Can you fill out your profile?

Keep ck'ing those spokes!

I agree about older bikes being great for ebikes. You can get some really nice ones for cheap with all the high end components.

Yeah 26 inch are much better for ebikes imo. Less stress on drivetrain in case of mid-drives and better torque for hub drives.

I don't have lots of flat tyres on full susp bike.. maybe once per 3 months when i ride throu thrones. Key is to have good tyre - worn out ones get holes fast. In previous hardtail rear tyre sufferd many more flats (pinched), once per month for sure. Ty for tips on tyres, but firstly i have to use 6 new Kenda Navegal i have in stock from previous bikes. I wear rear tyre down every 3 months :wink:

After all "standard" troubles with my BBS02 (see https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58898&start=825#p1230460 ) now i blew my controller.

This was my mistake as I fell in ditch, one dead branch blocked rear whell and other dead branch pushed (and broked) my thumb throtlle into full power at full assist level. WTF, what are the ODS :?: :?: :?: Oh well, shiet happenz, I ordered new controller with better mosfets.

New controller:
1. runs much much cooler
2. delivers power much faster (on PAS or on throtle).

Well worth 100€ (it even shipped in 3 days from chine, GJ greenbikekit.com)

Result: still happy ebiker, waiting to ride mountains in sunny cold days :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After I upgraded bike this year with BBSHD and 17,5 Ah 850Wh battery it got stolen :cry: :cry: I left it in front of bar in evening with weak lock. 2500 EUR down the drain.

I am very sad as bike was everything i wanted.. good power and range.

Now i am looking for another donor bike and will have to buy new kit. I like BBSxx because they are silent. Consindering ultra also but they are super expensive, AM 1000 is ~4500 EUR after taxes

Bummer! I had a bike stolen as a kid but police were able to recover it weeks later. It had been spray painted black to hide the shiny chrome finish. I was happy to get it back but the dam spray paint was too much work for a 12 year old kid to remove

Keep us posted on what happens. BBS ultra would be awesome! Just make sure you bar hop on a crappy bike next time! 😄

Back