Nyx frame, 273mm*40m V3 hub, and 650A

I've been super busy, finally hired an expert bike builder friend to get my next mt bike build together. First step was swapping the Fox 40 lowers out for 27.5" tire compatible legs, a new stiffer Ti spring, and a new damping cartridge for heavier weight bikes.

7cneAbHIDLbYPFWkFbkrehzZYSmYi_bJ6o0MaT7xSMPFHJBYH6hZJH0nTcexHuqJxybUiUcOOM-IMX2ZU3R60D5cZIhWRryPkbQpAhSMGNgd8XfmJKBQlfJoa_HKKr_hwm-nIMTO0l_LWNWJ0JWu-q8Lk5e1KHDrek_2UolabXdeQL66mA_k1WCrnH1ANlSoZeYxlypORAbE800iwrpSB8xbD_ylhHd8l4bzmClCsfH_4PkAVAFe_U9y6q1wqoWjWZU_OZ3rIiBl9Fw3a6bhAPKoqrqBcbExIF2ZvNh_hoiO_tS_YCpKTmdXb2UPE6xdZ1EDXdo-osm32GeGN_2hAtz6uzvCLo-GmVF9leMqLJL49Hg5348k5CXsYYJ6yutkC5kcLI-hxs2uJy0KYoqE-13l1JdWp8PgTlMCmHE5avrlOkgkXTKQusidNynabRwu6FQspmcc8AqyGPE0uzWTZYfG9vQJliMBtgbBYZkQuZ-KhKOpgT6TMz3YIIulBdASFTAOLQUrcSrt-TZMJ-96zq2fPTpnkZsSU_3EUwBZ109jcrSunwXd1Jk8k3hyzbVeJ1YVRXTfLY3usbjEJuBVZuJMP2RmfqKEUx5hdfvOZkoM-SCg1A=w960-h625-no

Uses a bottom bracket Schulmpf drive to a gates belt drive for the human pedal input.

jENumJh36PmEVvDRJ7NLigtFDAin9R7Ftio3nirsnwDMCEmhsaoE8Z7n6EJ-VYbI39ZB6J7knSx2PB-CGhFxpLjy-0Qn912qzk-Vt_-aTMZUJvKiWKFuTC9dmwtpRU9DaYxP_89JiA0PLN8QEjFvFqhDbCdoHoEThyyMf_hGzmAXfSbiv738PEsVDDr6kzdiL_b-o56YKhzH55JDgz-kFxAeTVUY_qpb2WN1cLSzo8Zemtp3_LWEg3SIKW8Eq-JhqZz-25u43_KqHeycRetVTrTvymkGduxkQMMCo7f_RM9KDtUqfgSxgMLASAoDzIRPGTiD_NUeMntQzFI21mCNaGFE8SURAahimjtTWsv3iOdCSl-criprzae-nkukmSVHAaDTIWnmFpqmwjJ3aUPng4AJ6HcrLLmExLJJnjIUSeA6VURgFIICOj91IrChwPJnAY4ZM3WteHGDYoRpCZNFI5J5-AHTo0fU9DOU6PHxLjwpWOhsqptntQnE99QmnOzNboGA4xr7EHToXX7HUnxires2pI2H9nKzJZHjEPh9RLPCjbZox_SzzOMDMM-eSNALr980Nl2Oh37rbwcmIQufnHaQw07uwtOvXdLB65D2BwdDqrJJhQ=w960-h735-no

NzbyUL1PHI5vNnLL9y7A6dDqRxjWQtGwHkiDRL1uoRoQd0ofV8PrV5caVVx3DPfBtw-tWiR-A2OdBBmVzmKDn4WsfU2U4LCsF_9Zc8y0xftMnaLfBNFSdxKpOnEZfTdfAb5zD_unsJ26hiVFE-ABLUrDPs0XpDybL3__O8T53hIVR__PCPkBzZH93d3gr_0RuYDRkq2DA9yRB_fKXx96HHp2O_Sy6BREYpPDIVX0xfwGErOr47_ixQwHzEDfggKyypnjydaSEGlbdSHdVZeNH2IfY3qxCoOwMGrX2U6OQST87Pc0sEVDpHHSMK29OCET_or-QRUjKsgEHco26XJstcRzgmuYWKdNTj7HUSRe1Bx4KNDmen0jFxwE_mlBbYbk0OG6mrVK2FEnoAoBVM9Xs8I6ufu3aMbcE4QHyN4HucjFr2Mla8TU1xVaFTbHSpkw1Ys6KPDZot5AUXLmXabRRLL96_cSgdw7ZLO3whmFk-I44ASiUcDvfhMi7UfkmmZfgEc9pMOXBdO6cc0wBp0q9Ul0UiPqrOAeOOjb1MsPZ5JoG_e802AZZlfrjAOcxLEqEFmblOhjFtA78IRY1iAmchxGKQi_miMbQe1vqH54f0Ow2Ap45g=w960-h616-no

Motor is 16.8Kv, should be pretty peppy with 650A.

JumperJackFlash said:
That's an awesome build!!!

Did you have to drill the rim for the 273?

Just a smidge to get a strong crossing spoke pattern to have a sound wheel.

Right on Luke, go big or go home! Motor looks insane...

What controller will you be using? sevcon?

Jeesus..this is very much like what i am building. Cant wait to see how this combo go's
Can you show pics of the drop outs? Did you have to mill much out to go 12mm flats? Are you planning on modifying the closed torque plates that came with the 273 to fit the frame? And will the rear disk work?

Another silly powerful build, we expect no less from you sir! Truly, you are just building a reasonable mans electric mountain bike :mrgreen:

That rear shock is just a place holder, right ? I've seen air shocks blow out in short order with much lighter motors than that biggen.
Apparently those QS axles are made of alloy with a high cheese content and have been known to break over 200A. I've got the bigger 50mm version with cast rim for my moto conversion project (my poor mans zero, inspired by the ones you loaned me a few years back! ) and that was the warning given to me when I said I'd planned for feed it 600A.

Awsome Luke!

To solve the problem Hyena mentionned about the axle,, I have built a torque arm to take the torque of the longer slit of the QS motor axel... This is the slit that is about 25mm long that is located directly on the larger diameter axel... And installed it between the NYX swing arm and the motor, and bolted the othe rend with a high grade M8 bolt about 4 inch away.

I have drilled and used a file to make it to get a nice 10mm x 26mm rectangle hole that fit just perfect without any play. I can use regen up to 8kW and push 15kW alternatively without anything becoming loose.

I think this is the way to go.

Doc

Attachments

• QS205 wider axel slit.jpg
    QS205 wider axel slit.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5,595
Luke i am also curious to know witch controller will you use? a size 6 ? a rinehart... dual MAX-E ? other? i know that Steveo is using dual MAX-E on his C-lute enertrack hub with succes. This is my plan for 2017.. single wheel drive but dual controller.. however.. QS205 + MAX -E unlocked and 22s is aleready a nice combinaison for wheelie... I guess you will limit phase current and put batt currnet at the max and keep high powerband for max top speed.. maybe a deathbike V2.... made with one of the best Ebike frame ever! :twisted:

Doc

Also.. I am very curious to see the V2 of this!:

MotorDyno.png

Doc

a motor with bicycle in front :mrgreen:
What sort of controller can deliver such high amps while still having reasonable size? I'm curious about it.

madin88 said:
a motor with bicycle in front :mrgreen:
What sort of controller can deliver such high amps while still having reasonable size? I'm curious about it.
expensive ones. :lol:

or cheap ones, with tons of MOSFETs but they're the really scary ones, because they have no real throttle control. lol...

NYX frame was super easy to mill for axle clearance, took 5min.

Thank you for the tips about the axle being a fine aged cheese based alloy. I will give it a shot with the torque plate setup and if it shreds itself I will machine a new axle from non-cheese metal.

The controller is something special, not Sevcon, and not capable of >80vdc packs, but very compact and rugged, FOC based and 650A phase RMS.

liveforphysics said:
The controller is something special, not Sevcon, and not capable of >80vdc packs, but very compact and rugged, FOC based and 650A phase RMS.

SO I take it that means you will be running 80v peak, and 650 phase amps... about 50kw bike? :lol: Sounds fun.

teslanv said:
Zero Battery?
unlikely. the Zero modules are 28s lipo. He just said 80v is the max.

John in CR said:
650A rms, as always, you're the man!

Thank you John! You're the man buddy! Without the monster hub experiences you shared with me I wouldn't be building this beast today. :)

I found that the best setup for the rear shock was large/long bracket on the bottom and small at the top. This gave the shock a more horizontal angle and also made the head angle on the forks a little wider and not so steep. A 200mm fox dhx rc4 spring shock works for me with 600lb spring, me being about 175lb weight with about 27lb of lipo.

I ran that same shock on my wife's Nyx build, and I agree it's pretty nice.

This air shock may blow quickly, which is fine I can put a coil shock on it. I kinda like the feel of air shocks.

Back