Folding 16" front 36v 10ah 350w (Double Feature!)

ianr430

1 mW
Hi everyone after 4 years i'm attempting another mini project. I had 2 other bikes that I used during my stay in Japan but I had to let go of the two but I was inspired and used the knowledge many of you have shared on this forum. Heres a link to my other builds https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42852
My new build will be a foldable bike with a modest front motor and a decent battery pack. With the purpose of sightseeing around San Francisco, this build needs to be a functional but small bike that I can take with me into restaurants or public transportation when folded because bike theft here in the city is a major problem.

Here is the bike I have chosen https://www.amazon.com/unYOUsual-synergy-Electric-Folding-Reflectors/dp/B01DBC694O
5109EDHzO3L_2048x2048.jpeg

More details on the amazon page for those interested. In short it is a 16 inch semi styled brompton fold with the rollers on the rear rack so it can be wheeled around like a suitcase. It also comes with a 24v/250 watt motor and 24v10ah battery pack internally in the frame PAS only. Total price was 700 flat when purchased from the IDS website https://www.idsonlinestore.com/collections/unyousual-bike
Here is the unyousual synergy bike folding demonstration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhonSQ-khos

Not bad for 700 bux the battery is internal in the frame and the fold on this bike is very compact. It seems to be a variant of the origami fox http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=109150and a similar knockoff folding bike shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIAlmgKakUk

I ordered the bike around the 31st of october and was scheduled for delivery November 8th but fedex claimed that the elections delayed delivery so I will be recieving it tommorow and I will update pics after assembly.

My plans for the frame include.

Remove front hub motor and electrical components

Q100 front geared motor 36v350w 328 speed, with 36v10ah li-ion rear rack battery......on order from bmsbattery ordered oct 31, shipped november 7 eta 10-12 days from then. Total cost was 476 including shipping, also they did not ask extra shipping costs some have reported(corrected), shipping was 183 at checkout.

Battery Bag from aliexpress loll.....on order awaiting shipment link for those interested https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/8348062764.html?orderId=79830713056033&productId=32436005917
BB7 Disc Brake caliper G2 rotor on front only.....in possession awaiting installation
16x2 Big apple tires...when I get the money
Thudbuster short travel seatpost....when I get the money

Ok thats all for now hopefully I will be able to test the stock bike out tommorow. :D

Since the BMS B. (Aikema) Cute will be black, are you going to paint it to match it to the frt.? You know that both elifebike and greenbikekit still offer them in silver?

And you make no mention of the controller or throttle. It seems to me that a left-hand, half-twist would be the obvious choice.
And curious, what controller do you plan to use?

Motomech I have corrected my mistake about the shipping now says reported by some.

1.If the hub comes out black I will be leaving it as is I had the intention of painting all wheel parts black, I prefer the look of all black wheel parts. I may even spray paint the whole frame but the white is kinda of growing on me but I dislike the branding on the bike.

2.As for the controller it is part of the 350w Q100 motor kit and I believe it is 6 mosfets, I don't really know too much about the controllers or how the specs relate to the motor. I just assume its compatible because it is pried with the kit.

3.And the throttle placed on the left hand side makes alot of sense but I am right handed and used to having a thumb throttle right next to my gear switch. I ran with this setup on a tricycle and it was not too crowded and was simple for my brain to register all gearing and acceleration on my right side. I will move the bike bell to the left hand side and will probably put a cup holder on the left hand side, which is where I put my Ipod or a drink.

Recieved the package today and opened and inspected for damage. No damage and was well packed. Went to target and pumped some air into the tires and took some snapshots next to a scale for size comparison. It is not the smallest of folds but rolling it around like a suitcase is very convenient and is very slim width wise.

9k70v4.jpg
2ihs2z6.jpg
e050ft.jpg
ac39ma.jpg

Afterwards I took this bike for a ride in the parking lot and after getting used to the size and the pedal assist I didn't note any negative things about the ride and feel although the saddle is narrow is not wide enough for my sit bones. The 250w motor and battery feels like it has some torque and on 3rd gear with pedals assist on highest level the motor is doing all the work meaning that Im just spinning my feet and the motor is going at a faster speed. For many this bike with the stock motor is a great value and may suit the needs of some. I have not tested it on any hills but I will still need my incoming motor upgrade to tackle the hills of San Francisco. Also the frame seems very solid, without being heavy, There is no play in the handle bars and the middle hinge is really tight and thick I have to add some grease to the hinge so it can swing more freely but it is a heavy duty hinge. Also the package came with a rear red led taillight and a very bright front led headlight, both of which come with batteries and both have separate modes like blink or flash or steady light. Overall out of the box this bike is the total package and has everything you need to start riding right away besides the helmet, I would recommend this bike for everyone for the quality and the fast shipping and its very competitive price point. I did not do a really detailed review but if anyone wants to ask questions I can answer them.

I am going over the bike and will measure the dropouts and see what size the front fork axel is, so that I can check for compatibility with my upcoming upgrade.

Hi! Driving down El Camino in San Mateo this afternoon, saw a guy crossing street on this exact model bike. Noticed it because I like folders, and this bike was on my mind after seeing your photos. Figure it is long odds, but rider might be you. Yes?

Given all the impracticalities and compromises inherent in folders, still looked like a nice bike for getting around town.

Small world yes that was me I was riding around san mateo for 5 hours after school and I stopped by Talbots bike store to replace the seat.
mmed7d.jpg

here is a pic of the new seat.
20b1t9z.jpg

And here is the bike as it sits in my room.
287zyi8.jpg

One doesn't have to be left-handed to use a left-hand throttle.
The brain doesn't care and one adapts right away.

ianr430 said:
Small world yes that was me I was riding around san mateo for 5 hours after school and I stopped by Talbots bike store to replace the seat.

Small world indeed! Well actually big world... but still with a very small number of electric folder riders.

My spouse is right. I can't see when the garbage needs to be taken out, but I can spot an interesting bike from 100 yards :lol: Guess it is one of those priorities things.

Would love to get together sometime and try out your bike. Looks like fun.

Update time so my bike is finished I installed a 350w front hub motor with a 36v 10ah battery from bms battery and the kit that was previously on my bike is now on my girlfreinds citizen tokyo folding bike that also has 16 inch wheels. Here are some of the pics for my bike.

here is the wheel with the disc brake I put on
20161119_034141.jpg

this is the bike with the new wheel and controller ready to be installed as you can see the hollow tube allows for full concealment within the frame
20161119_065246.jpg

this si the finished product with the extra large bag that allows for some storage. The battery is in the rear bag and has extra room to put small items
I have smaller bag that is used to maintain a smaller profile when folded
20161121_090209.jpg

20161121_090114.jpg

20161121_085536.jpg

20161121_085424.jpg

20161121_085504.jpg

Here is some pictures with the smaller bag which is secured by a large velcro strap while it is folded.
After riding I have done alot of tweaking here and there and I can say that it is totaly finished. I will update on all the little tweaks I have made to the bike after this major update just to give you and Idea of how it looks in it current state. I cna say I'm very happy with the bike and was not really difficult to bring together.

20161218_211608.jpg

20161218_211830.jpg

20161218_211642.jpg

20161218_211721.jpg

Here it is outside
20161204_152858.jpg

20161204_152910.jpg

Here is my girlfreinds citizen bike build I wont go much into detail but I can if requested but I basically just slapped the other front motor on her bike and all parts fit reasonably well. Her bike cost only 200 bux from the citzen website and is a very good quality bike and can be rolled on its two wheel when folded and is very convenient.

This is the battery case I made from extra leather that I had leftover that was not used on her saddle.
20161121_135755.jpg

wheel fits easily with some amount of fork spreading
20161121_135610.jpg

and the finished product
20161121_140006.jpg

The controller is in the small top tube bag and is a perfect fit for the mini sized controllers including room for excess wiring
20161123_052150.jpg

some folded pics
20161123_052845.jpg

20161123_052902.jpg

20161123_052912.jpg

Here we are out riding in San Francisco
20161126_160100.jpg

And when we feel like getting burritos our bikes fold up and neatly tuck away in the corner
also she has a doggy bag on the back that does not interfere with her folding mechanism and is stable standing on it own despite having a small dog inside.
20161126_163547.jpg

Total cost for 2 bikes about 1375 plus 100 to 200 dollars in parts and upgrades. Its been awhile and we have been riding these bikes all around the city and we have not been limited by any amount of hills distance or crowds and I am officially claiming mission accomplished yay.

The tokyo has a 85mm front fork width and the q100 has a 100mm width. You did not say what your new bike had...How did you manage to swap out motors on the two bikes?

Nice work. There are some really steep hills in SF but you can usually find a route around them.

Back