I did get the hub open, using nothing but wooden wedges and a rubber mallet. I don't have a gear puller, although next time, I might buy one
. I then sprayed varnish on everything internal, and added about 8.5 ml of ferrofluid, and i finally added my arduino + neopixel display that reads out power and motor temp, although the -300A to 300A hall effect power sensor (ring) walks around about + or - 5 to 15 amps which makes readouts kind of strange. In another iteration I would definitely use a shunt instead.
I finished(?) my new axle clamps and they seem very tight, however occasionally in normal use (and always when I use regen braking) I can hear a click from the axle the same as before from the axle rocking back and forth. Pretty disappointing, considering what I built to fix this. Still, it is an improvement and I would do it again, it certainly gives some peace of mind. I will upload more pics in HD if anyone wants to see. There is no visible gap between the axle and the clamps.
I will also later upload pics of the arduino computer and possibly a video, if anyone wants the code let me know and I will upload to github. It looks like a real mess (code and computer) but it works and is sturdy enough.
I only have to charge it once or twice a week riding at least 10 miles a day, and I never have range anxiety. Also I havent managed to get the motor up above 50 degrees c but I am sure that will change because it is about 10 degrees c where I live, so in the summer it should do just fine.
With the new clamp setup I took it out at full power for the first time ever and its insane. I can power wheelie at 25+ mph and it is insane all the way. I am sure I could have a somewhat similar experience with a higher kv motor but with a top speed of 55mph right now I am glad I went with what I did, I almost never go that fast.