120km/h long range full suspension 2wd foldable cargo bike

csc

100 W
Hi there

First message for me in ES, though I read it from ages.

I'm a french journalist doing reports about environment and filming myself on an electric bike since 2009. After a 5 years "beta test" and over 40000 km, I can say that this frame is solid, though foldable.

Lateral rigidity is 100% solved by a very simple ball bearing system.

It's currently running with an MXUS v2 on the rear and an fh 205 on the front, 2 batteries (20s8p and 20s 9p, panasonic 18650 pf), two adaptto mini e with a Y for accelerator and regen signals. Very efficient, but I need a range over 100km at top speed (80km/h) so the batteries have to be redesigned. I'm probably gonna move to a Max e working with a 24s16p and a v3 on the rear, and move the existing batteries to the front : still not very clear, knowing that I might replace them soon, they litterally crossed western Europe several times.

These 24s would work at 4 volts per cell max, in order to increase a lot the battery life. So the usual max voltage will be around 86v, with a possibility to go to 96 if needed.

Happy to be in the participating population of this forum starting now !!!

Well, there's been modifications that make the term "bicycle" obviously discussable, but here we are :

20170906_1551081-e1504707566268.jpg

109 kilos !

2 x mxus 3k turbo 3T
2x adaptto max e, old version 10kw
front fork, rim, spokes, tire, brake : light motorcycle parts
rear wheel : andra 40 rim with holes redrilled, sappim strong spokes (the secret for a reliable wheel is the associated big nipples : they make it rock solid), 1 schwalbe marathon almotion 2.25 Inside of a maxxis hookworm 2.5 : no more puncture even with 2 persons / 130 kilos, rear brake shimano saint new version with 220mm hope mono disc with cl brakes VRX pads

front battery : my old 25ah 72v. Panasonic PF keep working well after 18700 km
new rear battery : 55ah 72v. Chose PF again for reliability reasons. The 55ah is in the lower part of the box, there's room enough in the top of the box to put another 50 ah later

Top speed with ovs at 4 : 120km/h, but I've downgraded to 1 as 100 km/h is OK and heats less

Edit : picture smaller now

Thanks Alan ! now working on the cooling aspects of rear motor. There's a 30 degrees difference between the font and rear due to air flow much bigger on the front

Looks like you have improved the concept quite abit to suit your needs,
have you thought about purposebuilding a bike for the equipment you use instad of strapping it on a bicycle frame?
Should improve your concept even further and look more refined.

How is the legal bit in France? What are you allowed to ride and what papers do you need?

Hi Wheazel

It's a custom hand made cargo bicycle frame made of steel tubes... for cars !! I made it ready for a super big rear hub from scratch, so I still could go 150mm if I decide to abandon my 7 gears. Believe me it's not going to break, I tried hard. I already jumped 1m with 25 kilos of luggage at 25km/h with these frame and shocks, as a hardcore test !

Keeping it a bicycle and not "refined" is a priority for a vast number of reasons. The first one is that I can take the train with it. Second is that it's foldable and fits in a car if needed. Last but not least : people don't react the same in front of a regular electric motorcycle, they're more surprised and interested by my "thing"... including cops.

It's got an insurance for what it is, though : a very very powerful "bicycle with motor". I don't cheat with that and had the regrettable opportunity to see that the insurance really does the job when needed.

The rest is 100% illegal. I might try and have it registered as a motorcycle one day : it's already got brake lights, rear and front motorcycle lights, motorcycle brake, etc. Registration is a mess to obtain, but would for example be an absolute obligation if I wanted to go to USA (which I actually imagine). Anyway, I'll keep the pedals (people who use Adaptto know what I mean).

Back