New lighting setup for BBSHD Fat

doctorbrody

100 µW
Here's an electric fat bike I built this fall using a Framed Alaskan Bluto from craigslist and a BBSHD motor kit from Luna Cycle. I sometimes run the 52V 6ah Mighty Mini 30Q but more often I run a 52V 17.5ah GA triangle pack. I Mad Maxed it out with some LED truck lights running directly from the main battery.

The lights are TTX Lighting 10-60V floods, $14 shipped on Amazon. I tried wiring them in parallel so I could take one off if I wanted, but the capacitors blew at 56V. Got a refund, ordered a new set and wired them in series, thus cutting the voltage in half. It's really bright - plenty of light for a 35mph bike in pitch darkness. These lights aren't for weight weenies, but neither are fat bikes.

http://a.co/bg7eRjq

I spent about $2k on this build and it's pretty amazing. Yes, I know you can buy a decent motorcycle or car for $2k. I have a motorcycle and a car already. This does things they can't do.

1%20of%201BB154028.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-30%20at%2010.37.58%20PM.png

image_3392.jpg

Looks really good to me! Do you have a picture of the light they put off? As in a picture standing over the bike looking forward on the street or with woods way out there?

Since I have a big bike I wouldn't mind a bigger set of lights on mine....I always like the Baja Designs twin light for motorcycles. Always looked like the little kid with big glasses.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0836.JPG
    IMG_0836.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 5,062
Your bike is very high on the scientifically respected ISB (incredibly super bitchin) scale. Nice build and love the lights. I'd also love to see a pic of the lights and the view from the cockpit. Thanks for posting.

Edit - After looking at this for another day or so, I bought two of the lights and am looking forward to setting them up.

I just used these House Tuning brackets from Amazon - not lightweight but very sturdy. http://a.co/3CebG0E

I saw this post and immediately bought two of these lights to mount on my Trek. I received them tonight and mocked up a temporary bracket. Running in series off my 52V pack, they are AMAZING! I mounted them baja style on my riser bars and am researching bar mounted switch options. After leaving them on for about 5 minutes they were still cool to the touch. For the price I'd be shocked if there was a better option for ebike lights.

FullSizeRender-6.jpg

WoodlandHills said:
Question: where are you pulling power? From the charging xt60 or the power xt90? I have run a palm size air pump from the charge plug without problem........

I just tapped into the 5.5 x 2.1 mm male DC plug coming off the CA. Waiting for a new female end from Amazon so I can wire it properly.

I made a harness that splits the power XT90 into an XT90 for the motor and a XT60 for the lights. The positive line to the lights has a 5amp fuse and the negative line has a waterproof toggle switch that I can reach while riding. Luna advised me not to pull power from the charging port - said it might damage the BMS.

So here's what I came up with. Leftover aluminum bar stock, two rubber coated 3/4" clamps, and some nuts and bolts. Gonna take it for a test ride tonight.

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_6248.JPG

wired up in series with an on/off switch, using the 5.5 x 2.1mm CA output jack. Brackets mentioned earlier in this thread were used, attached to top of forks. Photos to follow...

doctorbrody said:
Those look awesome - nicely done! I want to get some H bars for my bike.
thanks. I am going to relocate my CA and any non-essential switches etc onto one of these, to free up the clutter on the bars.
http://www.avt.bike/WebStore/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Cbn-Accessory-Mount-Wide

very neat, WoodlandHills...

I switched my lights on while charging last night (not sure if "while charging" makes a difference). Voltage was at 92v (lights in series).

One light went "pop". I took them off, and tested - one dead, the other worked - but testing at 55v, the other then went "pop"! So, I have ordered some more - and informed the seller. I may put three lights in series, two above and one below. A bit excessive, but if it makes them work...

Back