New build, Surly Pugsley with TDCM-IGH motor

StCroixSpeed

100 µW
Early stages of a build converting a nearly new white Surly Pugsley with a TDCM Direct Drive Hub motor with Sturmey Archer Internal Geared Hub. A special thank you to Justin at Grin for assisting with this project.

Obligatory gear on table picture:
gear on table.jpg

Bike before conversion. Some on Puglsey Facebook site are appalled that I am taking a nearly new Pug and converting into an eBike:
The Pug.jpg

Working out chainline. So far this has been the biggest challenge with the fat tires. The motor from Grin Technologies comes with an 18 tooth flat 1/8" cog. Working on converting to a 3/32" dished cog, for compatibility with the rest of my drivetrain. The dished will help the chainline move outward.
chainline.jpg

This motor requires a 4 bolt Rohloff disk, purchased from Modern Bike:
Rohloff Brake.jpg

More updates to follow after resolving chainline with spacers and new rear cog.

- Patrick McKellips

Hey Patrick, any chance that you've had a chance to get the Pugsley build with the TDCM IGH hub up and running yet? This was our first usage case for an IGH kit in a Fatbike application and we're quite interested to hear your perspective, since there have been some other instances that have come up recently of people looking to do a similar rig.

If anyone can tell me the gear ratios of this hubs igh I may be putting one on a legacy surly troll as a commuter/mule bike

Back