Project 346 Basman

Kineticman

1 mW
This past December I finally finished converting my Project 346 inverted Basman frame into an Ebike. This project has taken me 3 years. I really fell head over heals for this frame back in 2012. Originally wanting to buy one of Marty's complete electric Basmans from Voltage Cycles, I ended up buying just the frame only and converting it myself. It would have been easier to buy one of his kits for sure, but I couldn't quite fork up enough money for that at the time. Slowly I saved up and enjoyed customizing all the parts. Not to mention I learned a hell of a lot about building a bike!

Here are the Electric specs:
48v 13Ah All Cell
9FET Lyen Infineon controller
V4 Cruiser BMC
CA3-DPS (still getting this setup...)

Below are a few pics:

View attachment 8

Here is where I started:

Raw_Frame_800_forWeb.jpg

I had quite an ordeal getting a spine fabricated to hold my battery and controller. Again my design came from Marty's original layout (as I preferred having everything up top to fit inside the tank), but it took me a while to get the dimensions right. I gridded-out the spine from tracings of the frame and then laid out the bracket and yoke placements. Afterwards I drafted it in Illustrator and Fusion 360.

Cardboard_Template_Gridding_800_forWeb.jpg

Here is the final machined spine parts. Many thanks go out to JP at OEC Engineering for all his help fabricating these from my drawings.

Cardboard_Template_and_MachinedSpine_800_forWeb.jpg

The spine in the frame

Basman_BikeFrame_Tarp_forWeb.jpg

Mostly completed wiring later down the road

Finished_Spine_with_Wiring_800x600_forWeb.jpg

Many thanks also go out to Richard Fechter and the community here for helping me create this Pre-charger circuit. I would have still had massive sparking going on every time I started up without it!

Precharger_Circuit_CU_Finished_800x600_forWeb.jpg

Here's a couple details of the finished tank as well. Originally I wanted to paint the tank I had bought from the Chopperdome. I thought about hand-painting some lettering but decided against it for fear of it being inconsistent. I also really wanted to ride this thing! In the end I designed my lettering in Illustrator and had it printed on 3M vinyl. Many thanks go out to Josh at CSI Print for helping me through the vinyl wrap process.

Tank_Details_LightningBolt_800_forWeb.jpg
Tank_Details_Electric_800x472_forWeb.jpg

Hoping in the future to make a more detailed thread of my build for anybody who is curious or wants to build a Basman frame up. I certainly have learned a ton from everyone else's projects on endless-sphere! Anyhow, I'd like to say thanks for all your help over the years as this forum is incredible.

Nice Basman really clean build

Back