Short off road/hill(lump) climbing vid:)

scottclarke

100 W
Messed about with 30mins of vid - cut all the nonsense and was left with 1 minute.

Basically a bunch of hill starts ending in a very steep slope + some faster fun at the end:)

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-804894310992755993&hl=en-GB

fechter,

same old same old - unchanged (except maintenance) modded Powabike motor.

Scott

scottclarke said:
Messed about with 30mins of vid - cut all the nonsense and was left with 1 minute.

Basically a bunch of hill starts ending in a very steep slope + some faster fun at the end:)

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-804894310992755993&hl=en-GB
Nice video. Especially after doing so many videos myself, I know the camera does not do hills any justice in representing them. My most recent video I posted here, after watching it myself, some of those insane hills look flat the entire way, LOL. About the only giveaway was only people going up this hill along side me at 5MPH.

Hi, yeah - vid does no justice:( - the first hillock in the vid is impassable by pedal power, its steeper than 45 degrees - 65+ degrees for much of the rise - its also over 6ft high and features many rocks/bricks on the way up! The steepness is hard to measure since it varies - but I do know you can't stop half way up or you fall of the back - yes - did that in times of lower torque!

Front mount cam is the worst for this of course - add a road and it tells you nothing!

The point of the vid is really to highlight once past a certain 'power' it's no longer a bicycle - you can do all the stuff a bicycle does + all the stuff only a motorcycle 'can' do.

Nothing new to peeps on here of course!

I do have a short local slope (25M) - a ramp actually - I'm going to go out and film some starts on it after dinner - the gradient is constant - would guess 10-12% but I will measure it to get a solid figure. That'll be the next vid:)

Scott

That's why I plan on adding an angle indicator for my next video, to show how steep something is when I go up or down it. Now trying to figure out how to mount this next to the speed-o-meter is going to be a challenge, LOL

Well we measured it and I was way off! Its 44m long with a 4.3m rise so close to 10% - by design.

I hear talk of 20 and 30% on here - but as a rule is 10% considered steep?

Anyway, with just me on - starting on the slope I reached 27kmh before the gates. With 2 off us on - surprisingly (for me) it started fine and accelerated to 16kmh - still pulling but the gates got in the way and I couldn't find the keys!

Anyway, I'm going to use this slope for a lot of tests from now on - its a good even numbered constant:)

vid to follow,

Scott

10% is fairly steep. The steepest hill I could find around my area is 12.8% as calculated from government survey data, and my bike pulled 57km/h steady. I'd love to find a long 20-30% grade to test my bike on, but smart people generally don't build roads like that!

Lowell said:
10% is fairly steep. The steepest hill I could find around my area is 12.8% as calculated from government survey data, and my bike pulled 57km/h steady. I'd love to find a long 20-30% grade to test my bike on, but smart people generally don't build roads like that!
Yeah, exactly. I know some roads this steep, but they aren't "travel roads", but just park roads. They are also curvy (that's why they post 15 MPH speed limit signs everywhere). As far as some high grade hill that is straight, except for the short one on one of my club rides, I don't know of any place like this. Like you said, if they made roads that steep that was 3 or 4 miles long and straight, just image all of the accidents from people trying to see how fast their vehicle will go :twisted:

Yeah it was windy - 20mph or so - the building shielded the run though:)

Thought something was wrong with the bike today. Went out to the shops - noted the speed on one section was low ~32kmh then kept a close eye on it. Couldn't figure out what was wrong - volts looked fine - then it twigged - I was riding into a 20+mph headwind!

I need a drainbrain with an airspeed indicator - will reduce stress no end!

Scott

Back