EVG EBIKE Edge 1500W DD Build Pics

This is not going to be the most amazing thread in the world but I figured instead of posting all of this in other threads ill start a build! I will be using my old trusty rusty red EVG Ebike frame! Just because I have it laying around. Front wheel is off of a walmart bike and I will be replacing it asap!

Bought this motor below from Evolution on the forums

1500W Continuous Power 2500W Peak
135mm axle shoulder width
35mm wide magnet
11.48Kv
Can fit a 7 speed freewheel but will need to space out the dropouts to approximately 140mm
16AWG Phase wires, 6 Speed Freewheel works without problem.
Temp Sensor / 2 Piece wiring harness for quick disconnect allow easy tire / tube changes. (Optional)
Motor Weight = 16.6lbs
Aluminum stator, better heat dissipation compared to steel stators.
Thin laminations for high efficiency.
Bare motor but can be laced in a wheel of your choice at additional
motor26_grande.jpg

threw my Ebike together for some fun, have a edge 1500w hub coming in the mail that will go on the back. Lost the seat post and clamp to this frame so I will have to get something online.
IMG_0232.JPG

I forgot how heavy DD hub motors are until this thing came in the mail! Geez I wanted something a little more powerful than a generic ebay 28/30mm. This motor seems to be the happy medium, its the Edge 1500w 35mm aluminum stator. Threw it on the old EVG ive had kicking around for a few years. Will take another day or so to get it spinning.

Probably weighs 20lbs with tire/rim but its a heavy 20lbs(maybe im getting weak in my old age)
Came laced to a nice disc only rim so I will have to make a disc brake adaptor (V brakes are out)
IMG_0248.JPG

I never really understood these plastic 6 bolt spacers? are you supposed to use them? I never would
IMG_0249.JPG

Has cool little rubber boots over axle ends, these typically fall off I will see how long they last!
IMG_0250.JPG

Wide enough for me!
IMG_0251.JPG

Dropped right into the frame with a Shimano 7 speed freewheel and one washer per inside
IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

This is the nicest part on the bike! my temp seat clamp/hose clamp!
IMG_0255.JPG

thanks for looking!

Very cool. What kind of battery will you be running?

I never really understood these plastic 6 bolt spacers? are you supposed to use them? I never would
Are you referring to a disk brake spacer?

The spacer is just there to keep the bolts from going into the motor too far... its supposed to be replaced by the disc.. not used at the same time.

Threw a chain on the bike, it seems the last gear of the 7 speed freewheel is too close to the frame and the chain is hitting it. I will have to run it on the 6th gear for now.
IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

upek said:
Move washer that is under the nut from outside to inside of dropout. You will have 3mm more space for chain.

to flex or not to flex? that is the question

This motor can take a lot of watts. The average person looking at it might find its a curiosity..."is that a motor in the wheel"...."why yes, it is!"

It doesn't "look" much more impressive than a cheap Yescom 1000W. The aluminum stator support means you can keep raising the amps quite high (especially on flat ground). Volts are whatever you can afford and whatever will fit on your frame. The top speed is faster than what I need with this high of a Kv, so I will be lowering volts to 44-ish this summer, and raising the amps (haven't got it hot yet, so it has more room to feed more amps than my little 12-FET).

I have a battery that is easily capable of 60A (75A peak), so I'll see if that can get this motor warm...

That is good to know. Im going to solder the shunt up on this old 2kw controller see if I can double it! I think 18s is the max it will handle

I may just have to finally buy those Mutistars...

It's steel frame right? So spread the dropouts! Even 150mm spacing is nothing for steel. After few rides it will 'adjust' to your wide motor.

Maybe... I tried to stretch my EVG... it was unbelievably stiff back there. I'm strong... but it was a giant pain muscling the wheel in, and would make changing a flat a giant ordeal in the field. It was not like spreading a normal bike a little.

Thanks for the advise! I am thinking about making a bracket for the left hand side that will accommodate disc brakes and act as a torque arm all in one. I usually end up riding the bike before this happens...im not gonna lie :)

Hah...Looks like the (NEW) controller I bought off ebay was a blown up mosfet repair job sold as a new item! You gotta love EBAY its just like a box of chocolates.

I see 80v capacitors and 75v 80a rated mosfets. Looks like we should be able to push 18s and double the power no problem.

pretty messy
IMG_0263.JPG

nice blowout
IMG_0264.JPG

80v caps
IMG_0266.JPG

75v 80a mosfets
IMG_0273.JPG

my lil 3s soldering setup (under $20 for all)
IMG_0277.JPG

60/40 rosin core good stuff
IMG_0278.JPG

shunts
IMG_0279.JPG

added ugly blobs to it lets see what that does
IMG_0280.JPG

Aresome I did the same on my 48v bike works well ( left hand side to hold the caliper ) but I also put one on the right too Just in case

Voltron,

"Maybe... I tried to stretch my EVG... it was unbelievably stiff back there. I'm strong... but it was a giant pain muscling the wheel in, and would make changing a flat a giant ordeal in the field. It was not like spreading a normal bike a little."

That is what car scissors jacks are for.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/z/0iAAAOSwHsRYD7z3/$_1.JPG

I never could have spread the dropouts on my tandem by hand.

stiffchainstays.jpg

My only regret is forgetting to pull the jack out of the trunk, when I junked the car. :-(

Im sure I could stretch it for one washer and it wouldn't be the end of the world, but its not like ill be doing tons of pedaling anyway so im not sure its worth it.

I wanted to use a single speed with chain tensioner but I didn't have the parts.. So this is what I ended up with. trying to build this one on the cheap cheap!

I like how my 6-speed gear cluster "looks" like a fairly normal bike. a single-speed would likely draw more attention (maybe I am being paranoid?). For those who don't care about looking normal, I think a single-speed freewheel with a dual chainring set-up should work fine. since it still gives you two gears, while making the back half simpler.

Low gear for those times when the power doesn't work and you're trying to get back to your garage without needing a car pick-up, and a medium gear for pedaling along on a commute in 'stealth" mode. Top speed? no pedaling, keep your eyes on the road with no body shifting around from the pedaling action...

That's true spinning, but I have never really been harassed around where I live by LE

I FINALLY PULLED THE TRIGGER ON 3X 6S 12000MAH MULTI STAR!

I've been stalking them lately and just a week or so ago they were $76 each now today they were only $59.99 for some reason. I checked out with Paypal and feel pretty good about it.

Now I will have a battery worthy of testing my new toys!

edit: looks like HK already shipped the order!

Putting some more time into the EVG Edge EBIKE. Got the handlebars and Oury grips and levers put on, used an old half twist throttle from a 10 year old liberty electric bike. This is the only place this long ass controller seems to fit other than the battery box... For now this is where she will stay! Now time to slap these wires together and see it spin.

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

Voltron said:
Maybe... I tried to stretch my EVG... it was unbelievably stiff back there. I'm strong... but it was a giant pain muscling the wheel in, and would make changing a flat a giant ordeal in the field. It was not like spreading a normal bike a little.

Take a regular bike axle (or other threaded rod), and put nuts and washers on the inboard side of the dropouts. Use a wrench to turn those nuts so that they spread the dropouts for you, keeping in mind that it will probably spring back some distance after you loosen them again.

If you have trouble with the axle "drifting" in the dropouts as you do this, you can use a ratcheting cargo strap to pull the axle away from the opening of the dropouts, if those point in a direction that allows you to use a part of the bike frame to put the other end of the cargo strap around.

If they point in a direction that doesnt' allow this, you can put a wooden board or whatever in between the axle and the BB to help hold the axle in place.

Looks good! I cut my head tube down since they are ridiculously long. Also red looks good with black accents not the shiny silver/chrome...I have to paint my seat clamp

Back