NYX Quokka Build

Quokka

1 kW
Thought i would start a thread on the assembly and parts list for my latest project. I am trying to use as many spares from my last build as possible. Actually, 80% of the parts i already have. Kind of scary how many spares I somehow ended up with :shock:
For the frame i have one of the first production NYX's from their kickstarter campaign, I think a few things have changed a bit on their latest frames but it's pretty similar i believe.

Motor and controler combo will have 2 stages,
1- QS205 in a 17" moto wheel (11kv) and an adaptto maxe (200amp version) to get the thing up and running.
2- QS273 in a 19" moto wheel (11kv)
Controler sabvoton 72200. 200 battery amps, 450 phase max volts of 90.

Parts: I will update as i get new bits, ultimately i want to create a guide for others doing a build

Rear Shock- 8.75" Fox Dhx4
Headset- Cane Creek (supplied by NYX i think)
Forks-Manitou Dorado Pro
Stem-Direct mount Nukeproof 2017 Sam Hill series
Handlebars- Deity 31.8mm cz38
Shock spring-650lb
Mounting hardware for shock- TF Tuned M8 30mm heavy duty mounts
BMS- smart bms with android blutooth
Crankset- SRAM S600
Seatpost-Deda 27.2mm
Seatpost clamp-Hope
Peddles- nukeproof horizon pro flat
Saddle-Nukeproof Vector sam hill series
Bashguard- Hope lightweight full ring
Chainring-Blackspire 36t
Brakes- Hope tech E4
Brake rotors- Hope 203mm floating
Throttle- Domino
Variable Regen- wuxing left thumb throttle
DC-DC converter- 20amp 12v
Motor- QS205 11kv in a 17" 1.6 rim
Motor- QS273 11 kv
Tyres- Shinko SR241. 19-2.75 front 17-3 rear
Custom torque arms, waterjet 12mm 316 stainless with 6mm 316 stainless bolt on arms.
Ignion key- 2 position on-off key switch
Charge port- neutrik 4 pin and cover (run 2 positive and 2 negatives from this to reduce the load on this part from the charger)
Circuit breakers- 2 midnite solar 150v 100amp mnedc100
Charger- Eaton 1800watt
Wiring- loads of Turnigy silicon wire 8g for battery, 10 g for charge circuit
Front Rims- 19x1.4" custom drilled moped rims to accept 12g spokes from ES Member "Ride The Lightning"
Front Hub- Hope Pro 4 20mm thru hub
Controler shield- Custom Electric Horseman from ES member Willow

The bike will take a while to get running.. have loads on at the moment. Plan form the battery is 18650's 22s. Need to do more pack designing to land on number of P's to cram in as many as possible

Attachments

• IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 4,954
  • IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 4,953
  • IMG_2373.JPG
    IMG_2373.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 4,953
  • IMG_2374.JPG
    IMG_2374.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 4,953
  • IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 4,954
  • IMG_2376.JPG
    IMG_2376.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 4,954
Looks like a lot of fun, and the forks look great. IIRC those are the same ones Matt Shumaker is using on his new dual astro bike.

Nice to see you have made a start. Love the look of those forks.

Had a bit of time out from the build as i had to move for work.
I now have the man cave up and running and have done quite a bit on the bike. Battery is near done. 22s 18P of 30Qs over multiple bricks. I have 1 brick to go and its done and will be time to assemble.
The battery is a hybrid nickel plate/copper bus bar arrangement. All the soldering of the copper to nickel was done before it was spot welded to the pack.
Each brick also has thermal monitoring (see little black wires entering the brick between nickel plates). The battery is equipped with smart bms with android monitoring, uses 0.3mm nickel plate and 2.5mm solid copper wire for the bus bars which run inbetween calls for even current flow

Attachments

• rps20171004_213109.jpg
    rps20171004_213109.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4,397
  • rps20171004_213254.jpg
    rps20171004_213254.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 4,397
Very nice work. I've been intrigued about copper nickle hybrid since I saw Bruno's video on the solar race cars. The setup was a copper plate with circular cutouts. Nickle is welded to the cell. Since then I've been wondering if fuse wires could be welded to a copper bus with a bus layout similar to the image below.
Keep us updated on your experience with the controller.

Attachments

• 05_01_02.jpg
    05_01_02.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 4,342
Quokka said:
Off to jungles of Borneo. Will be fun. Big mountains and no ebike laws.
hey mate!
i missed this one somehow, was wondering how you were getting along.

where exactly in Borneo did you go? what sort of work did you get there?
forgive me for prying, but iv spent 7 years in the jungle there on and off and know the place fairly well. recently have been fantasising about bringing an ebike there but thought it would be too much trouble. we regularly visit my wifes family there.
main reasons i decided against using ebikes there is lack of decent power for charging, humidity issues and high temps damaging cells, oh and transporting packs to and from au :?
these are all solvable issues to some extent i suppose.
i still wish i had one there, especially in the city areas. assuming you got there already, how are you finding it?
cheers
RTL

Hey rtl, i am a petroleum geo and had to move to brunei for work. I am in a place called seria, right near the southern boarder with malaysia. You are right... there are loads of issues here for ebike's rain is the bad one. Rain here is epic, can be blue sky one minuite, then an hour later the whole place can be a foot under water. Have been caught a few times in downpours and have killed one adaptto from water i am guessing. Getting ebike stuff here is easier than australia. I get cells in bulk with a vape shop in miri, we get really good rates on cells. The guys at qs are great too.. they can send me goodies with dhl for less than it costs me to send a birthday card with dhl the other way back home. Aliexpress works here too so i am pretty set for most ebike stuff.
There are some awesome tracks here. Old logging trails through the jungle, there are gibbons and all sorts of cool monkeys here, and being on an ebike is an awesome way to sneak up on the animals. See the pic of my ute below... this is what it looks like most of.the time lol.
There are no bike tracks though, you are forced to use the poorly maintained roads with a bunch of crazy drivers so you need a bike that can go like tne clappers

Attachments

• rps20171005_212350.jpg
    rps20171005_212350.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 4,323
awesome mate!
i mostly hang out in miri, as my wife comes from baram highlands, and that is the closest city.
i have probably met your vape shop friend :lol:
let me guess,top of imperial mall selling flash lights??

i know a good electrician there too, who is making solar storage banks from pouch cells salvaged from busses in china. he sells the pouch cells for like rm15 each. hes diagonally across the busy road from the kts stihl shop.

on the malaysia side, i suspect finding gibbons etc is much more difficult as hunting is more prevalent there, and so much more logging.
still some good spots but not like Brunei, which has strictly limited logging cause they get their money from oil. speaking of oil...
have you thought of filling the controller /motor with oil?
it must be awesome having that silent freedom there, absolutely ideal. who wants to pedal in that climate?

we will be heading your way in the winter. we fly to Brunei then get a private taxi across the border to miri. use the same guy every time :)

Great pack and even greater build.

Did you get the 273 motor or running the 205 on that sabvolton controller. That is a lot of power.

Tom

Give me a yell when you head over rtl. I spend heaps of time in the marriottt in miri... well mostly at the swim up bar.
Tom, the big motor is coming . I have the spokes and rim already but will probably get it staerted withe the little 205

id have thought the 205v3 would be plenty, unless you plan to do speed runs along the highway between BSB and Miri :lol:
btw, im doing a bike for a friend at the moment, with no adaptto stuff, where did you get the smart bms from?
im assuming its good for at least 22s?
i found a dumb bms from supower that will do 150A, but a 200A capable one will match the sabvoton 36fet hes using.
please send me a link if you can.

following

I have ordered 2 different bms
Free shipping 1pcs smart display 16S-32S 300A lithium battery protection board balanced management system BMS Coulomb Counter
http://s.aliexpress.com/jqQF3MjM
(from AliExpress Android)

And another from bms battery
https://bmsbattery.com/bmspcm/836-smart-bms-10s13s-60a-with-blue-tooth-android-or-ios-app.html

I am leaning towards the the first one atm as the second was bigger than stated and struggles to fit without making the lid opening 2mm larger... i will likely modify the lid anyway as the design lets water into the frame. the other advantge of the one with the display is that i can cut an opening, glue polycarbonate in and then it will be water tight, unlike the cycle analyst option.
And yes.. i do hit the highway to get to labi road. Thats where the orangutans are

Riding there with a quiet ebike with all that wildlife would be unreal....
Ive been looking at that 300amp bms for a while... ive got the apk seems stable . its the first bms ive seen with screen it ticks a lot of boxes , will be interesting to see how it performs .

Quokka said:
I have ordered 2 different bms
Free shipping 1pcs smart display 16S-32S 300A lithium battery protection board balanced management system BMS Coulomb Counter
http://s.aliexpress.com/jqQF3MjM
(from AliExpress Android)

And another from bms battery
https://bmsbattery.com/bmspcm/836-smart-bms-10s13s-60a-with-blue-tooth-android-or-ios-app.html

I am leaning towards the the first one atm as the second was bigger than stated and struggles to fit without making the lid opening 2mm larger... i will likely modify the lid anyway as the design lets water into the frame. the other advantge of the one with the display is that i can cut an opening, glue polycarbonate in and then it will be water tight, unlike the cycle analyst option.
And yes.. i do hit the highway to get to labi road. Thats where the orangutans are

thanks bro.
im looking to make my system 200A capable, as that will match the controller and battery peak draw.
300A is pretty huge. do you think the bms specs are true from what it looks like?
Emoto said:
Riding there with a quiet ebike with all that wildlife would be unreal....
Ive been looking at that 300amp bms for a while... ive got the apk seems stable . its the first bms ive seen with screen it ticks a lot of boxes , will be interesting to see how it performs .

what amps are you running with yours emoto, would you reccomend the bms you have?

RTL ive just been studding it, first bms im considering getting.. im a bit sheepish getting one as some bms have caused problems,and ive got a good reliable balance charge setup, but this one is supposed to be ''smart''.
First saw it mentioned in the adapto thread. recently. that dude may have one running now.
Or Here you go https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=81211 :)

300 amp smart bms. With thermistors in each of the 4 battery bricks, one on the mosfets and another on the balance ports

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 2,699
wow. that looks awesome!
have you got the sabvoton working?

i got mine programmed ok, then a mate blew it up somehow.
he was trying to test it on the stand, powered up, twisted the throttle and got a bbq.
i suspect the controller had somehow "forgotten" the halls combo thus blowing the fets. will see it tonight.
i noticed when programming it that saving the settings was a bit dicky sometimes...

I have not powered it up yet. Hopefully next week if I am lucky- still waiting on power terminals to connect to the sabvoton. Also, the bms is taking a bit of time to sort out.... pretty complicated unit, but very impressive

Back