eleven6's 3.6KW V2100 Build

eleven6

1 W
Hey Endless-sphere,

Since the rainy winter weather hasn't provided too many opportunities to get out and ride for this fair-weather rider, I figure I'd do the next best thing and take this opportunity to share my first e-bike build that I finished this summer. I've spent a lot of time on this forum soaking up knowledge from hundreds of threads which has been such an amazing resource leading up to the completion of my build, so thanks a lot!

Anyway, the goal of this build was to create an affordable, 40 mph-capable, low-maintenance, <~80 lb urban exploration bike with decent range, good acceleration, and a removable battery pack. At some point the affordability target went out the window, but I'm happy to say that the rest of the goals were met.

I could talk about this project all day long, but you guys already know how cool e-bikes are so I'll just list a few of the major components and specs here:

• The infamous walmart V2100 frame (the only part of the original bike that was kept)
  • Farfle swingarm
  • MXUS V3 4T in 19" Holmes moto rim with Heidinau M3 moto tire
  • 20Ah 20S 8P SAMSUNG 25R cells in a split pack Kilowatt bag configuration
  • LYEN 12Fet Controller w/ 10G wires, programmed at 48A Battery 96A Phase

pIT4M4m.jpg

j9DG0Ln.jpg

axHuA8i.jpg

The Cycle Analyst tucks up nicely to the slimmer 560mm-wide riser handlebars. Something I should point out, the low-profile bell on the left side is an Oi by an Australian company called Knog. Easy to miss since it blends into the bars so well.

EKTxw2p.jpg

I've talked this up before in Teslanv's thread, but the Kilowatt bag is really awesome. For those that can't fit a triangle pack, this helps keep the battery weight low and forward to keep the bike well-balanced with a large hub motor at the rear. Besides being easily removable, the split pack configuration allows me to parallel the packs for quicker charging and it allows for the iCharge3010B to handle the balancing. I went with human BMS to reduce system complexity and it works great!

FHIw5U5.jpg

It took a few tries/holes to get distance correct for on the chain follower to take out some of the slack on the single-speed chain.

sa31vJr.jpg

Eventually I'd like to upgrade the controller to a sinewave one with this torque control I keep hearing about. Maybe the engineers @ Grin Technologies would like to make a Phaserunner with 12 or so FETS, pretty please? 8)

HD4Pr73.jpg

Thought I'd give the charger case build a go too, really happy with the way it turned out. There's a couple of those popular server power supplies wired in series that feed the iCharger3010B. Intake & Exhaust fans run off a 16V power supply which are modulated with a cheap adjustable transformer from amazon. Laptop power supply also powers the iCharger when I need to charge the headlight battery cells.

Special shout-outs and thanks:
evolution-gts - I got the ebike bug from your early youtube ride clips on your Giant Trance bike which led me to this site, keep up the good work :)
Icewrench - you hooked me up with your extra Farfle arm and let me and my brother go for a spin on a couple of your ebikes, that was really nice!
Teslanv - your Kilowatt bag is king and you have some great resources for the MXUS motors
Endless-sphere OGs and forum - the hard work and experimentation was already done, I probably saved quite a bit of time and money soaking up the wisdom here and not having to make too mistakes and find out the hard way, thanks again!

I think I want MORE POWERRRR!!! Too bad that's not in the cards for this update.

So winter's been excessively wet here and that's really put a damper on riding (pun intended). I did manage to get out for a few rides here and there though, and having not done any cold-weather riding before I was still surprised at how much range is lost at 30 degrees despite already knowing that it would happen. Also, I learned a very important lesson - do not ride in the winter with summer gloves on. Won't be doing that again, yeesh!

Anyway, the rear fender height has been bothering me a bit. I'd sometimes catch it when throwing a leg over, and the coverage wasn't great at that height. The way I had it zip-tied to the Farfle swing-arm kind of dictated the excessive spacing, so I printed this part to fix it:

TdVOz3d.jpg

Here it is sandwiched on the swingarm:

9xPb7BP.jpg

And the result:

iMxmM0p.jpg

Not bad. A little flaring-out toward the back-end, but I think it's good enough for now.

I also picked up a much more comfortable and wide seat for cheap on Amazon (pictured). Since my riding position is fairly upright, most of my weight is distributed squarely on the seat the majority of the time. The result was that any ride > 1 hour became increasingly hellish on the so-called "anatomic relief saddle" even with rear suspension and a suspended seat-post. Haven't got a chance to test it yet, but sitting on the new seat feels A LOT better.

I also had a PM request to share some pics on my 18650 battery pack build.

ruvrxtd.jpg

I used the blue painters tape during the spot-welding process to prevent shorts as I worked and decided to keep it on indefinitely figuring that it in combination with the Kilowatt bag and safe battery handling would be enough to prevent accidental shorts. One thing I didn't count on was the batteries developing hot-spots over time along select places on the terminal nickel strips and melting the sticky gunk in from the tape at these areas on the nickel! Once I discovered this had happened, I cleaned up these areas best I could with alcohol and Q-tips (did not want to risk abrasives for multiple reasons) and removed the painters tape for good.

Still wanting to protect against shorting I found some industrial heat-shrink sold by lunacycle, and their largest size was just barely able to fit around each 10S pack in the orientation I wanted. Here's one after hitting it with a heat gun:

j5U6hFA.jpg

Back