leaning trike cargo bike front end kit

hodala

100 W
The kit fit for most traditional bike head tube inner diameter should be larger than 32mm

I'm now looking for some hub motor to fit rear wheel

Attachments

• 170215a.JPG
    170215a.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 15,559
  • 170216b.JPG
    170216b.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 14,319
  • 170220a.JPG
    170220a.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 15,555
Integrate frame low down the frame profile is convenient to get on and off the bike,frame space also larger for battery

Attachments

• 26吋自定b.JPG
    26吋自定b.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 14,303
Some pictures of process;you know manufacturing quality is commonly NG in China,I have to fix the defects myself after received the kit

Attachments

• 卡鉗花鼓.JPG
    卡鉗花鼓.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 13,444
  • 170211b.JPG
    170211b.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 14,304
It's a clever gadget. But having made some stuff along those lines before, I can say with confidence it's an expensive, heavy, complicated, inconvenient way to do what a two wheeler does cheaply, simply, conveniently, and with minimal weight.

I'm sure it works better than the one I made, which has a solid front axle and thus steers like a tilting bakfiets. Which is to say, not very well.

Boy, that would actually make a pretty nice all in one system. How well would having dual hub motors work with the leaning? You could have the battery fit into the new second triangle. As well as the controller. You'd just have to run the throttle up to the steering wheel. Sell additional battery pack for the bikes original triangle. Could you even put a steering sensor that would slow down the inside wheel on a turn, and slightly speed up the outside wheel to make it turn easier? Your weight from the battery would be about as low as you could get it. Just a few thoughts. :wink:

What is that complicate heavy expensive linkage for?certainly not for the majority yet some people need it or it won't appears

You don't have to learn cornering stunt to go down gravel slop or wet and slippery winding roads

Attachments

• drift cornering 小.JPG
    drift cornering 小.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 14,300
  • butcher dog.JPG
    butcher dog.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 13,440
  • 滑跤.jpg
    滑跤.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 15,454
  • 輪陷.jpg
    輪陷.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 15,453
What kind of cargo bike should be better if you were goods or passenger for safety and comfortable sight seeing view ?

Attachments

• 遛狗車a2.JPG
    遛狗車a2.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 13,437
  • 21403203800935_742.jpg
    21403203800935_742.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 15,438
  • food delivery bike.JPG
    food delivery bike.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 13,436
  • RIpeQdg.jpg
    RIpeQdg.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 15,439
  • 狗拖車a.JPG
    狗拖車a.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 14,298
rborger73 said:
Boy, that would actually make a pretty nice all in one system. How well would having dual hub motors work with the leaning? You could have the battery fit into the new second triangle. As well as the controller. You'd just have to run the throttle up to the steering wheel. Sell additional battery pack for the bikes original triangle. Could you even put a steering sensor that would slow down the inside wheel on a turn, and slightly speed up the outside wheel to make it turn easier? Your weight from the battery would be about as low as you could get it. Just a few thoughts. :wink:

Tilting is independent to Steering system, it feels the same with a normal bike

If you guys were interested to have a leaning trike and are able to DIY frame work too,I'm planing to make a small package kit(not easy done components for DIYs :CNC axles with heat treatment,plate forming parts,knuckles sets- - )that only few hundred bucks one can have an easy work complete kit to transform a bike to leaning trike

Attachments

• specs 1.JPG
    specs 1.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 13,439
  • f frame cycle 01.JPG
    f frame cycle 01.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 13,439
Cool, this is pretty much the same system I built in my trike prototype for winter riding.
The background was added safety on icy roads. Which is accomplishes very well.

However it is always a compromise and it needs to be narrow enough to not be clumsy.
How wide is this front end?

What this system seem to lack are the steering spindle's rotation center projected to the tire contact area (or very close to it)
This means you get a lever that will affect the steering when you hit something with the wheel.

Wheazel said:
Cool, this is pretty much the same system I built in my trike prototype for winter riding.
The background was added safety on icy roads. Which is accomplishes very well.

However it is always a compromise and it needs to be narrow enough to not be clumsy.
How wide is this front end?

What this system seem to lack are the steering spindle's rotation center projected to the tire contact area (or very close to it)
This means you get a lever that will affect the steering when you hit something with the wheel.
Yes there are some geometry compromise to make maximum profits of all,I saw your avatar on website before,why I didn't incline the kingpin is to get more tilt angle

If you want to reduce scrub,build your own wheel rim like a car ones,the scrub 78mm of bike is actually 70mm

Attachments

• steer scrub.JPG
    steer scrub.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 13,437
  • king pin inclination.JPG
    king pin inclination.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 13,437
  • 鋁焊輪圈14x1 b.JPG
    鋁焊輪圈14x1 b.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 13,438
  • rim14b.JPG
    rim14b.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 13,437
  • ebike-05.JPG
    ebike-05.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 13,439
Wheazel said:
I am doing a version 2 of the tiltbike for the coming winter, it will however have 4wheels to keep the trackcount in the snow down to 2.
Also easier to avoid obstacles with 2 tracks compared to 3. But everything is compromises left and right.

Good luck with the product!
My hybrid leaning quad

Attachments

• Hybrid Quad bike.JPG
    Hybrid Quad bike.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 13,434
  • Quad4 snow2.JPG
    Quad4 snow2.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 13,434

You sound like you are new to electric hubmotors. Until you gain some experience, I suggest a direct drive hubmotor in the rear wheel with a sensorless controller, that would be the simplest and most reliable system for a beginner. Since this tricycle attachment appears to be for street use (instead of off-road mountain paths) You will be fine if you want to choose a smaller wheel, like a 20-inch. A 20-inch wheel will run cooler and more efficiently than a larger wheel, like a 26/29-inch.

If you like higher speeds, I think you would be happier with a higher voltage battery, like 48V, but...if you are just starting out and don't need very high speeds, a 36V battery will be much more affordable. I suggest buying the largest battery that you can afford. Doing this will allow each cell to run cooler and last many more months than if you put a strain on them.

spinningmagnets said:

You sound like you are new to electric hubmotors. Until you gain some experience, I suggest a direct drive hubmotor in the rear wheel with a sensorless controller, that would be the simplest and most reliable system for a beginner. Since this tricycle attachment appears to be for street use (instead of off-road mountain paths) You will be fine if you want to choose a smaller wheel, like a 20-inch. A 20-inch wheel will run cooler and more efficiently than a larger wheel, like a 26/29-inch.

If you like higher speeds, I think you would be happier with a higher voltage battery, like 48V, but...if you are just starting out and don't need very high speeds, a 36V battery will be much more affordable. I suggest buying the largest battery that you can afford. Doing this will allow each cell to run cooler and last many more months than if you put a strain on them.
Thanks!people can see me do mechanism work,not an E guy,prefer a versatile fat e bike that can cruise along beach also do daily shopping job

hodala said:
Wheazel said:
I am doing a version 2 of the tiltbike for the coming winter, it will however have 4wheels to keep the trackcount in the snow down to 2.
Also easier to avoid obstacles with 2 tracks compared to 3. But everything is compromises left and right.

Good luck with the product!
My hybrid leaning quad

Someone needs to fix some mudguards! :D
That quad has basically the same tilt setup I am planning for the winter quad build.

The main different thing I have done with the front compared to my trike, is separating the tilt and steering movements to different joints.
This gives me more tilt angle while still having an angled kingpin.

Your front end kit seem to use ball joints to give good tilt movement but less steering angle? Or do I misinterpret the pictures?

Wheazel said:
Someone needs to fix some mudguards! :D
That quad has basically the same tilt setup I am planning for the winter quad build.

The main different thing I have done with the front compared to my trike, is separating the tilt and steering movements to different joints.
This gives me more tilt angle while still having an angled kingpin.

Your front end kit seem to use ball joints to give good tilt movement but less steering angle? Or do I misinterpret the pictures?
Not just ball joint,wondering if you ever saw the tricks before- oversized ball joint with spacers beside so you get enough angle to steer and tilt

Attachments

• knuckle 講解.JPG
    knuckle 講解.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 13,433
  • 1426908756-3554502081_n.jpg
    1426908756-3554502081_n.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 15,214
Since some people do cared about king pin inclination,I do the simulation pictures to make sure what is a better choice compromise,I'd seen video of danish products,no more than 30 degree lean angle I guess

Attachments

• king pin inclination 5.JPG
    king pin inclination 5.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 13,433
  • veleon and Mk1.JPG
    veleon and Mk1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 14,292
A whole kit to make any bike into a leaning trike for a few hundred bucks , Yes , Yes !
How much would it cost in shipping from Taiwan to the U.S. ( California ) ?

How much does it weigh ?

Keep in mind that many of us have bikes that have front forks that are tapered, 1 1/8 inches top to 1. 5 inch bottom .
So
You would need to make kits for both kind of bikes, 1) for bikes with head tubes that are straight 1 1/8 inches
and 2 ) for bikes that have head tubes that are 1 1/8 top and 1.5 inch bottom
And/Or
An Adaptor that will allow the use of a straight 1 1/8 tube on your tilting front end, that will fit into a 1.5 inch bottom of head tube on a modern bicycle .

http://www.jensonusa.com/!t52ldrKaaKvm48GxMTNnBg!/Problem-Solvers-Headtube-Reducer?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=CKrt5OKpwNICFYW1wAod974Cxg

hodala said:
If you guys were interested to have a leaning trike and are able to DIY frame work too,I'm planing to make a small package kit(not easy done components for DIYs :CNC axles with heat treatment,plate forming parts,knuckles sets- - )that only few hundred bucks one can have an easy work complete kit to transform a bike to leaning trike

Count me interested too

ScooterMan101 said:
A whole kit to make any bike into a leaning trike for a few hundred bucks , Yes , Yes !
How much would it cost in shipping from Taiwan to the U.S. ( California ) ?

How much does it weigh ?

Keep in mind that many of us have bikes that have front forks that are tapered, 1 1/8 inches top to 1. 5 inch bottom .
So
You would need to make kits for both kind of bikes, 1) for bikes with head tubes that are straight 1 1/8 inches
and 2 ) for bikes that have head tubes that are 1 1/8 top and 1.5 inch bottom
And/Or
An Adaptor that will allow the use of a straight 1 1/8 tube on your tilting front end, that will fit into a 1.5 inch bottom of head tube on a modern bicycle .
Don't know the freight cost yet
The 26" blue trike is 23.5kg now,the kit modified from motorbike kit still too heavy,fit for 5kw E bike is still ok;I'll lose it's weight later
The kit won't fit all bikes especially fiber frame

Chalo said:
It's a clever gadget. But having made some stuff along those lines before, I can say with confidence it's an expensive, heavy, complicated, inconvenient way to do what a two wheeler does cheaply, simply, conveniently, and with minimal weight.

I'm sure it works better than the one I made, which has a solid front axle and thus steers like a tilting bakfiets. Which is to say, not very well.

A gadget yes, but also nice for a cargo trike. Non leaning trikes are horrible when cornering. Sure there are great two wheeled cargo bikes, but the length of those cargo bikes makes them a bit slow and cumbersome to handle in urban settings, and in tight spaces or if you live in an apartment and use elevator to get up to the flat. Impossible to get a 3m cargo bike into an elevator. A short wheelbase trike is something else, the trike will fit inside elevator. Nice and easy to ride, easy to handle especially in tight places and the width will still let you ride between lanes when traffic is jammed. And on top of that you can carry cargo, pick up parcels or haul enough beer to last a party. Oh and leaning trikes are also insanely fun to ride. It feels like you are ignoring the laws of physics when the trike leans over.

pictures- -;gonna modify the 20" fat bike to a e trike for beach cruser

Attachments

• 171214b.JPG
    171214b.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 14,197
  • IMG_20171214_101030.jpg
    IMG_20171214_101030.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 14,197
  • 肥胎20吋.JPG
    肥胎20吋.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 14,197
  • 訂製車架與市售車對比a.JPG