Redefining the "SLA" ebike

teslanv

1 MW
If you have been in this hobby for any amount of time, you have probably accumulated a vast assortment of random ebike parts. Add any kind of business activities to the mix, and you pile up LOADS of 1/2-working things, samples, silly project ideas and the like.

So it is with this in mind, when I found myself last Saturday morning, with nary a thing to work on (due to parts not yet having arrived), when I decided to see if I had enough "Shit Lying Around" to build yet another ebike.

First I spotted a spare Genesis V2100 frame on the shelf. Needing only to be reassembled, I grabbed it. Mainly just the frame was there, the other crappy components being stripped off long ago, including the fork, stem, handle bars, seat post and seat, cranks, etc.

Tossed the cheeseball stock shock, and mounted up a DNM RCP3 (less cheeseball) shock. - Check.

Found a new seat post just the right size, but no seat post clamp. But aha! - Hose clamp to the rescue. :wink: - And I stole a WTB seat from another derelict project. OK - enough parts to mount it up in my bike stand...

Found a suitable bottom bracket & ISIS crankset from a project that I had pulled it out of for a Mid Drive build. - Check.

RST Gila Fork I had picked up from a garage sale a while back. - Check.

Spare Avid BB7 Brake Caliper, just lying around. - Check. (Front disc brake only, with regen on the rear activated. More on this in a sec...)

I spent another $100 or so, buying the few parts I did not have on hand, including a headset, stem, Handle Bars, nice platform pedals, 180mm disc rotor, and a bag to stuff some LiPo packs in.

Motor Wheel is a special-order 4T winding, 28mm MXUS V2 DD Hub. 4T means it can take the same total phase current as the beefier 3K-Turbo 4T winding (About 60A), but would spin around 15 RPM per volt. I pulled one of the Sino Xie Chang controllers I have, 12x3077 size, and am feeding it 12S (44.4V Nominal). Even at this low of voltage, it still gets over 60 MPH on the bench. On the street I expect to have a top speed close to 40 MPH, pretty easily at 60A battery. (~2500W of total power).

I am doing this one up with some cool refinements. It will have a CA V3 display, and the motor has a temp sensor built in, so I will have temp monitoring also. And I outfitted the front ebrake lever with an inline switch, so that I can turn off the ebrake signal on the fly. This will allow me to do standing burn-outs. :twisted:

I will probably mount up a simple PAS sensor and play around with the CA V3 settings to dial it in for a comfortable ride without the need for holding the throttle. And I will attempt to mount the 12S-16Ah Multistar LiPo packs in a compact seat bag. Not ideal placement, but on these Genesis frames, there aren't any great mounting options for a battery, especially with the controller mounted in the triangle.

Should be ridable by the weekend. 8)

Genesis 2017.jpg

Handle Bars.jpg

Nice to see another V2100! I picked one up on craigslist several weeks ago for my first (budget) build. Still waiting on my motor and batteries, but I swapped out the front brake caliper and rotor today (stock one was garbage and already broken), what a world of difference. I've never worked on bikes before but it seems pretty straightforward. I'm going to stick with the stock shock and fork until they break or I get some extra cash. I guess I should make my own thread heheh.

Where's your batteries going to go?

Got it finished up this afternoon.

PAS sensor added.
Battery mounted in a bag under the seat. 4S-16Ah Multistars. 3 in series for 12S-16Ah. (44.4V Nominal)

First thoughts are: Holy Shitballs. :shock:

That little 12FET 3077 Sino Xie Chang controller pumps out nearly 90A!

Top speed was over 45 MPH on the flat, with my 200-lb. ass on the seat. - On 12S LiPo!!! (Who says you need voltage for high speed. :wink: )

Brake set-up worked awesome. Regen on the motor plus front 180mm disc Avid BB7. Stops fast enough to stay outta trouble. And the kill switch on the brake circuit worked well, also. I can light up the rear tire for a little smoke show. :twisted:

For a "SLA" build, this one is baller.

Genesis V2100 2017.jpg

Top Speed.jpg

Max Power.jpg

Voltage.jpg

Nice build, if you could somehow tuck the controller under the seat or maybe on the head tube and route wires inside downtube the ride would be totally stealth.

Btw, did you cross the lines? Seems you got front brake on left side of handle bar? Why would you prefer that? Unless you live down under oc.

macribs said:
Btw, did you cross the lines? Seems you got front brake on left side of handle bar? Why would you prefer that? Unless you live down under oc.

Front Brake is usually on the left for a bicycle. And I have the bulky throttle on the right. (Can't easily hold a brake lever and twist the trottle with the same hand either.) ;)

Everyone makes fun of the genesis until they want one. I didnt appreciate my first v2100 but now im in love with my second. Nice scrapped together build, im doing the same with my old evg and the edge motor. Very nice top speed with low volts!

Nice build. I got rid of bike stuff a couple yrs ago cleaning the garage.:( I need to stop that ;)

teslanv said:
If you have been in this hobby for any amount of time, you have probably accumulated a vast assortment of random ebike parts. Add any kind of business activities to the mix, and you pile up LOADS of 1/2-working things, samples, silly project ideas and the like.

So it is with this in mind, when I found myself last Saturday morning, with nary a thing to work on (due to parts not yet having arrived), when I decided to see if I had enough "Shit Lying Around" to build yet another ebike.

First I spotted a spare Genesis V2100 frame on the shelf. Needing only to be reassembled, I grabbed it. Mainly just the frame was there, the other crappy components being stripped off long ago, including the fork, stem, handle bars, seat post and seat, cranks, etc.

Tossed the cheeseball stock shock, and mounted up a DNM RCP3 (less cheeseball) shock. - Check.

Found a new seat post just the right size, but no seat post clamp. But aha! - Hose clamp to the rescue. :wink: - And I stole a WTB seat from another derelict project. OK - enough parts to mount it up in my bike stand...

Found a suitable bottom bracket & ISIS crankset from a project that I had pulled it out of for a Mid Drive build. - Check.

RST Gila Fork I had picked up from a garage sale a while back. - Check.

Spare Avid BB7 Brake Caliper, just lying around. - Check. (Front disc brake only, with regen on the rear activated. More on this in a sec...)

I spent another $100 or so, buying the few parts I did not have on hand, including a headset, stem, Handle Bars, nice platform pedals, 180mm disc rotor, and a bag to stuff some LiPo packs in.

Motor Wheel is a special-order 4T winding, 28mm MXUS V2 DD Hub. 4T means it can take the same total phase current as the beefier 3K-Turbo 4T winding (About 60A), but would spin around 15 RPM per volt. I pulled one of the Sino Xie Chang controllers I have, 12x3077 size, and am feeding it 12S (44.4V Nominal). Even at this low of voltage, it still gets over 60 MPH on the bench. On the street I expect to have a top speed close to 40 MPH, pretty easily at 60A battery. (~2500W of total power).

I am doing this one up with some cool refinements. It will have a CA V3 display, and the motor has a temp sensor built in, so I will have temp monitoring also. And I outfitted the front ebrake lever with an inline switch, so that I can turn off the ebrake signal on the fly. This will allow me to do standing burn-outs. :twisted:

I will probably mount up a simple PAS sensor and play around with the CA V3 settings to dial it in for a comfortable ride without the need for holding the throttle. And I will attempt to mount the 12S-16Ah Multistar LiPo packs in a compact seat bag. Not ideal placement, but on these Genesis frames, there aren't any great mounting options for a battery, especially with the controller mounted in the triangle.

Should be ridable by the weekend. 8)

View attachment 1

Nice build

Back