Recent build: Pikachu

Here is my first e-bike build...battle tested for 250mi of NW fall-spring. Ditched the PAS and brake cutoffs quick, controller is hidden under the front bags.

Bike: 2006 Kona Ph.D Flatbar road bike (700c)
Drivetrain: Shimano 105 (UPDATE: Now a 9 speed Dura-Ace rear)
Fork: cro-mo steel
Tires: 700x32 gatorbacks (0.009 friction coefficient) (UPDATE: now rocking 700x40c Schwalbe Little Big Ben balloon tires, WAY better ride)
Motor: mini MAC front hub motor 350W 16T wind (equivalent gearing to the larger MAC 10T rear)
Controller: Infineon 6 FET 3077
Battery: 48V 13.6AH NCR18650B 13s4p (UPDATE: 52V 11.5AH NCR18650PF pack now in primary use)
Throttle: reversed half-twist
Front ring: 48t narrow wide single
Rear gears: 11-32 (UPDATE: changed to 12-27 hyperglide cassette and a dura-ace 9 speed rear)

Top speed 20mph

Range unassisted flat: 26 miles

Range assisted flat: 38 miles
Total weight (minus rider): 40.2lbs

Total build cost (including bike): $930.

Looks good. I have used MAC 8t and 10T rear motors here in Portland. I didn't know the grades where that high around here! I've went up to Council Crest on my commute from downtown to Multnomah village. Motors seem fine with it(and I believe it's the highest point in Portland).

Either of them laced in a 700c wheel? :)

That would allow me to throw it on the back and test it out without tearing down the front wheel...just swap to the controller and compare the torque difference.

stateofstatic said:
Either of them laced in a 700c wheel? :)

That would allow me to throw it on the back and test it out without tearing down the front wheel...just swap to the controller and compare the torque difference.

Yes, I have a 10t in my girlfriend's 700c road bike (I've rode it a bunch). Running on 14s it gets to around 30 mph. I'd feel comfortable putting a 8T on it but she doesn't take it over 25 mph anyways : p

1JohnFoster said:
stateofstatic said:
Named Pikachu~

Nice name! :D
You need a sticker or two to go with that. I always wanted to make a yellow EV of some sort and call it Pikachu. Nostalgia for my 1st kid's childhood.

Actually, I was thinking of this on the sides of the battery pack:

If you're gonna switch motors at some point, get that motor in the rear and add a front suspension fork. At the speeds you're traveling, it will help a lot.

short travel thudbuster seat post would be good for making the rear hits less harsh too.

If you're gonna switch motors at some point, get that motor in the rear and add a front suspension fork. At the speeds you're traveling, it will help a lot.

I was thinking that about finding a deal on a gently used BBSHD...problem with either is I'll need to swap the battery as well unless I dial down the amp draw on the controller. The NCRB cells seem to only like a sustained 20A-25A for about 10min before they start to sag hard. :cry: Generally I deal with it by limiting to 350w with normal riding (18mph unassisted), and then kick it up to 500w on harsh hills. Did a ride from Hillsboro, OR to Hazel Dell, WA (33 miles and 1,600ft elevation change) two weeks ago, and the poor girl was really strugglin on the last few miles. Ended with 44.7V when it went on the charger, so still a little in the tank (programmed cutoff at 43.5V) but was barely maintaining 12mph at that point.

As for the fork, I tested a friend's 700x40 cyclocross tire on the rear and amazingly it fits the frame! I just assumed since it was designed as a flat-bar road bike I wouldn't be able to go past 32c gatorskins (actually measure 30c width), but now that I know that I'm looking at some schawlbe energizer plus tour HS441's in 700x38c that are ebike rated to 50km/h (31mph), have nearly as low of rolling resistance as the gators, and much, much better off-road traction if I decided to get nuts and try some hardpacks. I figure at 45psi those will feel pretty darn cushy in comparison to running 100psi at the moment. DEFINITELY want a thudbuster again, loved the one I had on an old Trek 8800 that got stolen.

I love the result. That pikachu sticker rocks!

Thanks! I have had multiple comments from adults and kids alike over the past couple weeks since I put it on...LOTS of Pokemon Go players in my city lol. Also a fellow ebiker with a GenZe came out of the supermarket at the same time I did, saw the sticker, and asked to race in the parking lot! 36V 250w low wind on a 60lb bike with a 220lb rider vs. 48V 500w high wind on a 40lb bike with a 180lb rider...it was like a Nissan Leaf trying to race a Model D :mrgreen:

New update: New tires (700x40 schwalbe Little Big Bens at 40psi, CUSHY!) and picked up a 52v PF cell pack in the same shark case so I can swap between the two packs for long distance treks.

Been running for 3 months this way in rainy PNW weather with no issues, battery, motor, and controller don't even get warm to the touch with full throttle runs for hilly 10+ miles straight...we'll see if that changes when it warms up this summer, but color me impressed by what this little motor can handle!

Holy smokes that's a fast 350w motor !
Im curious how many watts its uses at various speeds if you have that info .. :D

Back