Norco A line; Following in Timma's footsteps.

1000w

1 kW
So I was lucky enough to buy Timma's carbon fiber modded Norco A line.
Timma (Paul) modded the frame to take a couple of 6S 4000mah Lipos and internally mounted a 12 Fet.
See Paul's profile photo for that incarnation of this frame.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9843
Beautiful work by Paul, perfectly finished carbon fiber lay up, however not enough batt capacity for me, so I added to the carbon enclosure to take 2 x 16000mah 6S Multistars.
This was a pretty good set up but still not enough capacity.
Please note my carbon work was no where near as nice as Paul's.
I can't find a photo of the complete bike but here is the frame, note the lovely Fox shock and titanium spring that came with the frame.
IMG_3375.jpg

So it was time to do a aluminium plate box mod like the original Timma work.
Carbon fiber removed

IMG_3377_1.jpg
IMG_3378.jpg

Plate aluminium construction

IMG_3382.jpg
IMG_3381.jpg

More to come soon.

The box is designed to fit a battery that is 130mm x 140mm x 300mm.
This is the space required for a 14S 14P 18650 pack. I recently had one of these batteries built for a friends bike by Cell Man(EM3ev) and put it into a Electric Enduro frame build. I purchased the whole set up from Cell Man, my mate loves it by the way.
We had the 14S 14P pack built with 3.5Ah cells, so 49Ah at 54 volts or around 2.5Kwh.
I'm getting the same pack built for this bike.
My mate and I want to be able to do an easy 100 km between charges as next year some time we plan on riding a 1000km off road track, called the Munda biddi between Albany and Perth Western Australia. We have a plan that will get us to a power point from between 85 km to 115km per day. So around a 12 day ride. I will probably document this trip in a thread here on ES as it maybe a first for ebikes in Western Australia on the Munda Biddi track, maybe not?
Cheers,
Matt.

Great choice of battery builder. Your cross country adventure sounds epic, I understand why you are aiming for a solid and reliable power train. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.
What is the colour chosen for powder coating?

I was going to run Marzocchi bomber 888 forks but decided to run Fox 40"s as I'm keen to throw all my best parts at this build. These 40's even have the titanium spring upgrade I noticed the other day when I was servicing them.
It proved to be loads more work to get the 40"s to fit.
The Marzocchi's fitted this frame well with no clearance issues at the lower crown as they step down. The Fox 40"s however have a flat lower crown. When I fitted the 40's they had a very limited turn angle. There was no other way other than to notch into the frame. I so didn't want to do this after having the powder coating done.

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3819.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

The three sided aluminium pieces are welded on the inside if you're wondering why they don't look bonded together.

Here is a shot of some lovely cranks I picked up for very little money at a swap meet.

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

I might have to paint that gold bar mount.

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

Matt! We'll have to organise another group ride! I'm back in Perth now. I might have to borrow Katherine's girly ebike though...

Fellas!

Been a while!

New bike is looking sweet Matt, and Chris, back in Perth ... did you move to Albany?

I now live in Bayswater, not too far from the old Garret Bridge spot where we launched a few group rides in 2012-13.

This is my current ebike:
Yuba.jpg
I ride about 150km a week on a pedal bike though, so this is my bad weather and weekend bike for drunken rides home!

Matt did I see you down at the liquor store on Guildford Road picking up a block on an electric scooter? A couple of weeks ago I guess.

Would be up for a reunion ride in December if anyone is keen - does Kim still check in?

Simon.

Hey Simon,
I only just saw this post from you, sorry.
I recon that was me getting beer on a scooter.
Nice Yuba mate, I put a EM3ev kit on one of those for a mate about 6 months ago, he's wrapped.
I have pretty much finished this Norco yesterday, can't believe how good it is, best build I've done.
I would be keen for a Dec group ride, I don't hear much from Kim.
Cheers,
Matt

Oh, cool are you going to post pics? :wink:

If Chris checks back in and is keen we should try and get a crew going. I remember Mark (DingosERide) and Greg from back then as well. The forum has gone pretty apesht in the mean time, looks like there are quite a few Perth people here.

My Yuba has a luna Bafang that I brought from Rodney about a year ago. There are a lot of good things about it, but I've had a tough time keeping the motor stationary in the BB and had to make a special bracket for it. I'm pretty sure I've rooted the threads on the BB, which is a shame because I might want to change back to a pedal bike at some point. IMO, the stock design is flawed and should come with an extra bracket.

I see your rocker mate who used to work at Stanbridges quite regularly out on the bike path too- with the green ratfink machine that you built - can't recall his name. I think I saw him at the bike swapmeet in Mt Lawley about a month ago.

Some photos, of the finished Norco. I'm loving this bike, it's a joy to ride, my best build yet.
I took the 12 Fet controller out of it's case and mounted it directly to the frame. All the controller components have been glued down to the board for extra reliability.
IMG_4544.JPGIMG_4545.JPGIMG_4638.JPGIMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4631.JPGIMG_4632.JPGIMG_4634.JPGIMG_4636.JPGIMG_4637.JPG

Nice job, must have a long range. What did you do with the thru axle swingarm to accommodate the hub? Cut slots and add a torque arm? If you could post a close up pic that would be great. Cheers

Yep huge range, easy 120km.
The swing arm had the Mac motor already fitted by Timma when I got hold of the frame. There is a torque arm on each side between the motor and the inside of the dropouts.

Attachments

• IMG_4680.JPG
    IMG_4680.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,154
  • IMG_4681.JPG
    IMG_4681.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,153
  • IMG_4682.JPG
    IMG_4682.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,154
  • IMG_4683.JPG
    IMG_4683.JPG