Raleigh Talus 1 Ebike Build

Here's some progress on my ebike. It's slowly coming to life. Some specs:

2017 Raleigh Talus 1 , 19" , 27.5 wheel

Edge 1500w , 11.46kv , 26" rim

24s10p GA (maybe an 11p) , 89v 35ah , 2.4 kwh useable

12 fet 40a controller , 3~4 kw capable

-------------------------

My initial plan was to build a single motor ebike. But, I just can't get the idea of a 2wd ebike out of my mind.

So, I've been doing a bit of research here, and I believe I can actually do it. The battery can supply the current for 5~6 kw burst, enough for two motors.

I hear there's a drag racing application to it. Well, I'm down, where do I sign up? That's how I built my car, and it's definitely what I would want out of my ebike, lol.

I'll probably do the two controllers joined by the signal wire, to one throttle. I'm not sure what front/rear bias is best (as far as power output), but I'm thinking 40/60. What do you think? I might just do 2 thumb throttles, but I like half-twist better.

My main issue is trying to find a 1500w front hub motor (100mm axle) with a 6-bolt disc mount. I can't seem to find one. Would a seller be willing to modify a rear hub motor for the front, retaining the disc brake option? I haven't asked anyone yet, but it seems to be a DIY project. Maybe someone knows .....

---------------------------------

Some pics of the battery housing and misc:

wyppMDE.jpg

Skycraft. Yes, that really is a ufo flying saucer on top of the entrance. You could probably build a working one, with all of the stuff in this place.

HiIfD6m.jpg

l21QJPv.jpg

H9WgYi5.jpg

fTEj87S.jpg

w0og5FV.jpg

7FIiWLE.jpg

BrXhKdz.jpg

meVk6ec.jpg

Well, thanks! I can't take credit for the welding. That would be my friend Talon. I did help with the cutting and grinding of the box, though.

I want to color the aluminum box black, but I don't want it to absorb too much heat in the sun. So, I wonder if there is some kind of black, non-heat absorbent spray that I can use. Rhino lining for pickup beads is the only thing I can think of. But, that would be very abrasive, and too close to my clothing and pedaling legs. Maybe there's something else similar.

Also, I'm probably not going to go 2wd any time soon. Just an idea for the future.

Okay, cool.

My friend did a test fit of the cells in the battery box. They are not in the correct format for welding in the pic.

And, it looks like a 24s 11p is going to fit, with the BMS, too. So, 89v 38.5ah nominal. Good for 130 miles @ 20 mph!

KfSKwBT.jpg

More pics of the build, plus the current machine to date:

Ua2Y8Nq.jpg

GfkvL8K.jpg

u3ZbFoA.jpg

mTgj1Bh.jpg

jdMEqwN.jpg

BLTX4is.jpg

nHgM216.jpg

d6NUxKE.jpg

L71wUEo.jpg

Kai6MuN.jpg

oL6nfU4.jpg

I ended up damaging the 12fet by running a few too many volts through it a few times. Time to upgrade!

The most current form with the 18fet:

hWEiOID.jpg

SqSizhz.jpg

DKiELwh.jpg

From 100v to 85v resting, I get around 2700wh usable. Pulling 0.2C gives 700-800w , which cruises around 28 mph for a solid 90 miles of run time. There are a few big loops I like to do on the weekend that take full advantage of this adventuring capability.

I've had it up to 52 mph, when I let off the throttle. That was running 90v and 45a for 10-15 sec. I only do this in a few stretches of road that I know well, when it's clear.

My philosophy of a hardtail going that fast, is that if conditions are that rough (potholes, etc), then I shouldn't be going that fast anyways. If I don't know the road conditions in a new area, then I shouldn't be going that fast anyways. There's a time and place for it.

On the rear, I'm also utilizing the tire over the tire over the thorn-resist tube wrapped over the final thorn-resist tube method (1" of rubber, lol). It's about as close to a solid rubber tire while still being pneumatic. Even if I do lose air, there's so much material in there it works as a run-flat. I just don't want to have to deal with a flat on the rear at all, because it'll happen at midnight in mosquito infested lowlands during a lightning storm with a gaggle of crazy floridamans approaching.

Next mods: statorade + hubsinks to quell the heating provided by that awesome 18fet. Plus, I have two 900w power supplies coming soon, which I'll parallel for 1800w charging for field use.

I also ended up going with a WCEC 6T edge 1500w motor, since the ~7.7 Kv was far more appropriate for my 24s voltage. I also use regen on the rear, since I haven't had the caliper mount attached yet. Braking power is very effective from 35-0 mph, when combined with that awesome 4 piston saint caliper with 203 icetech rotor.

I've been through multiple monsoon showers by now, also to justify my new raingear from REI. Leave it to a Seattle based retail company to be the only source of raingear in central florida. Not one single bike shop, or QBP , or J&B has anything close.

That's a very nice build! :shock: How much did you spent for the battery pack (including all the BMS and wiring)?

Thanks! I knew how I wanted to ride it, and did my homework figuring out the number, type of cells and configuration I needed. I think I can get 180 miles on a charge cruising at 20 mph, which only asks for 3 amps from the pack (27 ah usable). The volts are doing all the work, which is part of the experiment that I wanted to do. Shoot man, I'll take an 8T EDGE 1500 if someone made it. Topping out at 40 is good enough for me.

I'd say I spent around $1500 for the cells, bms, wires, and nickle sheet. Not including the arduino spot welder + lipo brick that my buddy needed in order to build the thing. Also not including the $70 for the 3/8" aluminum box. The whole bike is about $4000 , with everything on it ( incl CA 2.4, Light&Motion SECA 2500 endurance, Saint 203, 1800w PSU's )

Yes, braking power is very good! It'll launch you forward pretty good with regen maxed out. You'd never expect braking force over time to be a source of hand pain, if your grip and glove game is lacking.

As far as handling, it gets very stable at 25, and cruises in a straight line very well. This frame was designed with a rigid fork, where the 130mm suspension fork I installed had really bumped up the caster (forward rake), which is ideal for higher speed, straight line handling. Low speed cornering is great (<20mph) , but you can feel the front tire getting on its edge in a high speed lean, and you won't want to push it any further. You don't really feel the weight at speed, only in tight low speed maneuvering.

I've had it up to 54 mph by now. The rear tire has a little hop, which is a little noticeable on completely smooth pavement. But, throw in some bumps, or pedal along, and it all goes away. I can hit 50 using only 3kw, and getting in a very tucked aero position. As long as I'm moving, the motor stays cool on the outside.

I did end up getting an 1800w charger for this bike (100.8v 18a), which I carry with me on all my rides now. All I need is 30-35 minutes, and I have 1 kwh back in the battery. I'm going to take a break anyways, so might as well be productive with it. I find myself hunting around for outlets everywhere I go now, lol.

So, this new ability can effectively double my battery capacity in 3 short, 30 minute quick charges. This has allowed me to go on even more epic super rides over 130 miles in a day. Yesterday, I broke my own record riding 136 miles. Here's where I went, for those who know central florida:

Epic 136 Mile Adventure

It took me 9 hours, breaks included. I used 50 ah, 4700wh, charged twice, broke a spoke, and went through 3 insane storms. A mighty adventure indeed. It's exactly the kind of stuff I dreamed of doing, while browsing all of the hubmotors for sale, a few years ago.

Back